new style electric bike - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
As someone said, "Don't get old." Knees, hips, back.
Slovenia. Bet they use a lot of those over there.
The Tomos is one of the most abundant mopeds in Europe, they have been in business since 1954 with their basic design changing little.
I agree, I feel young but a previous career left its mark on my body and I am paying for it now. I am still extremely active, I just have certain limitations, pedaling being one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
Ian, that propane cover is a work of art, very nice.
Thank you, this was my first attempt at cooperage and it turned out very well
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #42

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I do like the e-bike idea, if not the price. Sure would be nice to go for longer treks, best we can do is about 10 miles then the knees start to ache. If I push it too far I can end up unable to anything for weeks. With an e-bike I wouldn't need to worry about turning around after 5 miles and could push it more. Guess it would depend on how well they function as a pedal bike as opposed to self propelled.

I find winter the biggest stumbling block to staying in shape, or as close to it as I get. The rest of the year we walk, bike, hike, canoe, in general just stay active. Then winter hits and we're inside doing next to nothing for 4-5 months. Any gains made the rest of the year are lost. Tried a bike trainer and the gym, no longevity to either.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Mike, my belief is that you just have to keep trying it. Push your own limits a little bit all the time, but don't overdo it. It is very important to improve your physical condition as much as possible, and maintain it as we age, no matter what that age is.
I'm already concerned about this-- I'm 59 and have the knees of a much older man. But I'm beginning to think that for some people aerobic exercise is particularly difficult due to their physiology. I guess I'll have to walk more instead; just do what I can.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I find winter the biggest stumbling block to staying in shape...
This is the case for most people too, Bob. One of the reasons I like skiing, especially cross-country. It is very pleasurable, easy on the body, and a great form of winter exercise. Skating is fun too. I take spin and yoga classes 2-3 times a week in the winter as well, just to help keep things in working condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I guess I'll have to walk more instead; just do what I can.
The is the key, do what you can, given your own limitations.

And we all have to remember, that we need to push through our aches and pains just a little at a time, but continue to do so, if we ever wish to cure what ails us. We are never, ever, too old to improve our well being, and will only enjoy life less as we age if we don't deal with it.

Wow, I guess I am very guilty of side-tracking this thread with another thing I am passionate about. Sawwy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Wow, I guess I am very guilty of side-tracking this thread with another thing I am passionate about. Sawwy.
Yes you are but with very good intent
Old 11-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
One of my best camping buds is a woman in her early 70s. She lost her husband this past Spring, so now she camps solo. She's a WALKER! Which is waaay different than using one. I'm a walker too, but I do believe she can out-walk me! One of her sayings, that I'm taking to heart "Motion is Lotion." Keep those limbs moving!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #47

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I do like the e-bike idea, if not the price. Sure would be nice to go for longer treks, best we can do is about 10 miles then the knees start to ache. If I push it too far I can end up unable to anything for weeks. With an e-bike I wouldn't need to worry about turning around after 5 miles and could push it more. Guess it would depend on how well they function as a pedal bike as opposed to self propelled.

I find winter the biggest stumbling block to staying in shape, or as close to it as I get. The rest of the year we walk, bike, hike, canoe, in general just stay active. Then winter hits and we're inside doing next to nothing for 4-5 months. Any gains made the rest of the year are lost. Tried a bike trainer and the gym, no longevity to either.
The weight and cost drove us to motors . The motors we have are less then 10 lbs added to bike . Very low maintenance. Those batteries will be costly when time to replace . Very short riding distance with batteries . Just all round electric is more costly . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
The Tomos is one of the most abundant mopeds in Europe, they have been in business since 1954 with their basic design changing little.
I agree, I feel young but a previous career left its mark on my body and I am paying for it now. I am still extremely active, I just have certain limitations, pedaling being one.

Thank you, this was my first attempt at cooperage and it turned out very well
Same here and I will be 70 next .however I don't sit on my laurels . Almost finished painting the stucco and trim on whole house . Heavy stucco ,brushes and rollers not sprayers . More projects lined up after this . Flat feet so can't walk a lot unless at beach . No one sits around here . The body is just getting worn out . Don't even have electric Jack for trailer and don't understand the need for light trailer . The knees are just not what they used to be even though I still climb tall ladders . Pat
Old 11-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
The weight and cost drove us to motors . The motors we have are less then 10 lbs added to bike . Very low maintenance. Those batteries will be costly when time to replace . Very short riding distance with batteries . Just all round electric is more costly . Pat
If the motors sound anything like my weed wacker I want nothing to do with them, I seem to like quiet hobbies. I'll have to go look over both types, if there are local dealers. Biking, any kind, is not nearly as popular around here as I've seen out west.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #50

Quote:
If the motors sound anything like my weed wacker I want nothing to do with them, I seem to like quiet hobbies. I'll have to go look over both types, if there are local dealers. Biking, any kind, is not nearly as popular around here as I've seen out west.
the motors are not very noisy . Go to website and they have a new line that are quieter then my Subaru . However it is not noisy. It isn't a weed wacker motor . You won't have good luck going to a store .Bike shops thumb there nose to engines . In Europe these are more common . The Peterson Museum in LA has a few from 1902-1903 Harley Davidson were building at the time . They used chain drives then , but just like motorcycles going with belt drives so are these. . Keverlar belts . Good for thousand of miles . I wanted a scooter but this was more cost effective because I already had my bike , mountain bike for over 21 years . I went with a comfort bike a few years ago because it was hard to swing leg over and I now like to sit upright . Because we don't go any faster then racing bikes ,we can ride in bike lanes and no license is required . This company is very helpful and friendly . Give them a call with your questions . Pat
Old 11-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The most appealing feature of modern electric-assist bikes is the mode in which they add only an assist - not driving on just the motor - so the rider is required to get exercise. Just acting as a multiplier of the rider's capability (plus recovering some energy on braking) it should allow the rider to get more enjoyment and functionality (by going faster and further); because the motor is only doing part of the work, range shouldn't be a big issue for the casual recreational rider. As long as the gain can be adjusted, I would start with relatively little assist, and turn it up only if it looked like I wasn't going to be able to make the planned (or required to get home) distance.

A bicycle - even in an upright "comfort" configuration - doesn't suit everyone, either due to comfort or due to the balance required. A relatively upright recumbent tadpole trike (yes, I know that's a contradiction in terms) with an electric assist seems like an ideal combination to me... but it would be a big and bulky thing to take along on a trip with a trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The most appealing feature of modern electric-assist bikes is the mode in which they add only an assist - not driving on just the motor - so the rider is required to get exercise. Just acting as a multiplier of the rider's capability (plus recovering some energy on braking) it should allow the rider to get more enjoyment and functionality (by going faster and further); because the motor is only doing part of the work, range shouldn't be a big issue for the casual recreational rider. As long as the gain can be adjusted, I would start with relatively little assist, and turn it up only if it looked like I wasn't going to be able to make the planned (or required to get home) distance.

A bicycle - even in an upright "comfort" configuration - doesn't suit everyone, either due to comfort or due to the balance required. A relatively upright recumbent tadpole trike (yes, I know that's a contradiction in terms) with an electric assist seems like an ideal combination to me... but it would be a big and bulky thing to take along on a trip with a trailer.
Brian these little motors are used the same way . As a assist or you can just peddle . Not as much weight added to your bike either . We do peddle but if need engine help it is there . You don't have to sit upright if you don't want to . My mountain bike did not sit upright . I just want to sit upright now so another reason I changed bikes . I get nothing for explaining this but there is a lot of misinformation about this . It is a solution if you can't get a motorbike and would like the help when needed . Pat
Old 11-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Brian these little motors are used the same way . As a assist or you can just peddle .
Good to know, but I've had enough annoying little gas engines in my life and wouldn't add one to a bicycle. Of course, I suspect that I will soon be at the same stage regarding expensive batteries that last nowhere near their design number of cycles...

Quote:
You don't have to sit upright if you don't want to .
In my case and my wife's case, upright is preferred. I used to ride a traditional 10-speed road bike, and I never like the hunched-over posture; now that I'm older (although perhaps not old by the standards of these forums) I have even less desire to ride that way.

I don't see anything about the power assistance technology which would limit it to a particular style of bike or trike.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #54

Pat
Quote:
Good to know, but I've had enough annoying little gas engines in my life and wouldn't add one to a bicycle. Of course, I suspect that I will soon be at the same stage regarding expensive batteries that last nowhere near their design number of cycles...

In my case and my wife's case, upright is preferred. I used to ride a traditional 10-speed road bike, and I never like the hunched-over posture; now that I'm older (although perhaps not old by the standards of these forums) I have even less desire to ride that way.

I don't see anything about the power assistance technology which would limit it to a particular style of bike or trike.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:36 PM   #55

At 60 lbs each, you could travel with a pair of the e-bikes on the Escapes bike rack. Think for that I could spring for the 1up.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #56

Quote:
If the motors sound anything like my weed wacker I want nothing to do with them, I seem to like quiet hobbies.
Although not silent my Tomos moped is amazing quiet for a 2 stroke. Every time I use it people comment on how quite it is.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Although not silent my Tomos moped is amazing quiet for a 2 stroke.
2 stroke, oh boy, don't get caught riding it in this part of the woods, you'd probably get lynched. Vancouver wants to be the greenest city in the world and a 2 stroke wouldn't go over all that well with some folks.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #58

We noticed as we've traveled east to west, the farther you go the more into being green folks are.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #59

Quote:
We noticed as we've traveled east to west, the farther you go the more into being green folks are.
That's certainly the image that the west coast province and states seem to like to present. Reality... well that would be a political discussion not for this forum.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #60

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
... well that would be a political discussion not for this forum.
I'll add it to the list.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote