Of LED Lights and Men - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21 "BE NICE"
Of LED Lights and Men

So I have the LED lights and they are often too bright. I found a good solution. These are battery powered movement sensored lights. I put one in the head to make sure I'm aiming the right direction, another above the stove on the inside of the door, and one above the dining table. Open the doors and the lights comes on. They shut off after 30" if no movement. Three to a package. Work great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

dbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
That bathroom is nice! You could have a party in there.......

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Ltd Edition 15B (1 of 47)
I thought they were a bit bright too (and very white), so I picked up some yellow vellum, folded it, and placed it inside the lamp housings in the dinette area and above the wardrobe. Due to the LEDs running very cool, nothing has melted. Now they throw nice, warm yellow light.

I left the kitchen lights as they were -- bright white LEDs are great for task lighting.

Washingtonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washingtonia View Post
I thought they were a bit bright too (and very white), so I picked up some yellow vellum...
Yes, I did a similar installation with gel film (or whatever it's called) but only in the dining area. This pic shows the difference...
Attached Thumbnails
Filtered LED.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Yes, I did a similar installation with gel film (or whatever it's called) but only in the dining area. This pic shows the difference...
That's an interesting solution. Many here probably know, but some may not, that when replacing LED's for closer to incandescent (warmer) go with a lower Kelvin like 3000K or less. The really sharp, bright white is up around 6000K+ and is too cool for most. We replaced all the bulbs in the trailer with a warm white and it makes a huge difference. I have found the warm white are more expensive because they are harder to make, but with the technology advancing rapidly this is probably less of an issue. This is a great site to find any replacement bulb you may need:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/r...acement-bulbs/
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
To add a data point.... The Escape ceiling lamps with the single or dual led panel held in with a screew. Reece told me, those fixtures are Kaper II L09-0111 (double) or L09-0110 (single) Escape used Daylight White, but you can also get Natural White (-NW) .... I found a NW replacement led last year, I'm trying to remember where, because I want a few more.

My E21 has 9 of those, 6 singles, and 3 doubles, also 4 captains/reading lamps.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
To add a data point.... The Escape ceiling lamps with the single or dual led panel held in with a screew. Reece told me, those fixtures are Kaper II L09-0111 (double) or L09-0110 (single) Escape used Daylight White, but you can also get Natural White (-NW) .... I found a NW replacement led last year, I'm trying to remember where, because I want a few more.

My E21 has 9 of those, 6 singles, and 3 doubles, also 4 captains/reading lamps.

to resurrect this thread, I just replaced /most/ of the ceiling lamp LED panels with these,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5QC3H6

distinctly warmer, but just about the same brightness. I left the ones over the kitchen area alone, as I know my wife likes BRIGHT light when she's cooking.

these don' t have a screw like the originals, but they are smaller/lighter, and fit snugly into the wedge socket so I'm not real worried about them rattling out on a rough road. they also center up nicely over the 'magnifying' lens in the fixture cover so provide a nice ligthing pattern.

the left lamp is the new 'warm' ones, the right one is the original, to see the color balance difference..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200623_204046.jpg  
Old 07-07-2020, 12:53 AM   #8
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
to resurrect this thread, I just replaced /most/ of the ceiling lamp LED panels with these,

distinctly warmer, but just about the same brightness. I left the ones over the kitchen area alone, as I know my wife likes BRIGHT light when she's cooking.

these don' t have a screw like the originals, but they are smaller/lighter, and fit snugly into the wedge socket so I'm not real worried about them rattling out on a rough road. they also center up nicely over the 'magnifying' lens in the fixture cover so provide a nice ligthing pattern.

the left lamp is the new 'warm' ones, the right one is the original, to see the color balance difference..
Thank you for resurrecting this thread John! We followed suit and replaced all the ceiling overhead LED panels (and the kitchen ones!) with your recommended new ones and LOVE them. We much prefer the warm lights to the cool white lights. What a difference - much cozier! Thanks, -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:04 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Thank you for resurrecting this thread John! We followed suit and replaced all the ceiling overhead LED panels (and the kitchen ones!) with your recommended new ones and LOVE them. We much prefer the warm lights to the cool white lights. What a difference - much cozier! Thanks, -Bea

No, no... Much WARMER. 😎
Old 07-07-2020, 04:09 AM   #10
Site Team

Now, I mostly use the reading lamps in all 4 corners, or just 2 opposite since I put the less bright warm floods. Hated the original cold white lamps.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Thanks for that link John. We switched ours out too and very much like the difference. I have an extra pack of them sitting around. I only needed about 12. They sold me 20.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:

I replaced a couple with those. Love the warmth but too bright for me reading with the Kindle so I'm going to switch which lamps get the two I got. Front of the trailer was dark so it gets one, and probably the countertop. Need to find warm but not so bright ones for the back.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I replaced a couple with those. Love the warmth but too bright for me reading with the Kindle so I'm going to switch which lamps get the two I got. Front of the trailer was dark so it gets one, and probably the countertop. Need to find warm but not so bright ones for the back.
I use the captains lights in the corners for reading, both in the front bed and rear dinette on the E21.... These MR11 lamps in warm white are in all but my wife's side of the dinette, https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...tributes/10932

she wanted a little more light, so her side of the dinette gets one of these... https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...uivalent/3663/

k, the MR11 is on the right of this pic,, and the MR16 on the left. middle light is on for color balance/comparison.

and this is the original too-blue captains lamp on the left, MR11 on the right.

note that original lamp didn't have a very good pattern, with a hot spot in the middle and an annoying ring of light around the outside. the replacement lamps both have a much smoother pattern.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:36 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
On the back of those Amazon lights are a number of little tiny chip resistors. Since I have 20 of those little lamps I took one and carefully sliced about half of the resistors off using a box cutter with a fresh tip, each resistor you cut out kills about four of the LEDs, so I have a couple of them now that only have two resistors left and some others that have four resistors left and I strategically positioned those in places where I do not want full brightness. Works great
Old 07-11-2020, 12:00 AM   #15
Site Team

That one has just 2 sets left. As I said, each chip resistor powers 3 LEDs, so this one has just 6 of the original 24 LEDs powered. The lonely resistor on the side powers the three right above the connector so it was the first to go,

Be careful not to mess with the larger bridge diode chip in the middle
Old 07-11-2020, 01:23 AM   #16
Site Team

Ok, this one has 4 R's left, for 12 total LEDs, 50% original brightness

It looks like this ...

(Full chip on top, 50% chip on the bottom)
Old 07-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwraith View Post
There are leds which illuminate less during the nigh. I am using this kind of LEDs by myself, and they are very useful during the night, by the fact that they don't hurt your eyes when you turn them on in the dark, the light is very soft and pleasant. I am using these amazon night lights which you can attach above the socket, and they will gently lighten the socket and the floor at the same time, so if you wake up during the night, you can be sure that you won't break your finger hitting the some random corner with your leg, and also you can see all the cables without turning the light on.
Are they hard wired 12 volt or plugged into a 110 volt socket? They look very useful
Old 07-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Are they hard wired 12 volt or plugged into a 110 volt socket? They look very useful
It appears to be a plug in unit.......