Outdoor Mat for 17b - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Outdoor Mat for 17b

Liz and I are shopping for the 2015 camping season. Last year we did one fall trip with our new 17b and didn't have an outdoor mat. Now we want one and have a few questions.

We are wondering if people try to get mats that fit completely under their awning - thinking about rain and the mat getting wet (of course even under the awning wind will bring in rain).

What size seems to work best for a 17' Escape. ETI says our awning size is 10' x 7'
Do people with 17' like the 6' x 9' or the larger 9' x 12'

Vendors offer carrying bags at an extra cost. Have these proven useful. I think there primary use would be for storage during a trip - keeping a wetish mat from getting other items wet and long term storage. Liz (upper management) is less convinced of their utility - saying they look a bit like carrying bags.

We've seen forum threads and see a variety of opinions regarding brands and seem to be settling between Fireside or Dometic brands.

We appreciate any advice/opinions - and are enjoying the excitement of planning for this year's season.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We got the CGear Sand Free based on rave reviews both here and elsewhere. A bit pricey so we'll see if it was worth it.

CGear Sand-Free MultiMat 10' x 10' at nrs.com
Old 03-04-2015, 09:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We use a 12x7 Dometic Patty O'Mat. They are very tough, and will last long. Like others, it breathes very well, and water drains right through it. I had one with my last trailer, and gave it to my brother, who is still using it, and after well over 10 years, it is still going strong.
Products - Dometic

Seeing we are boondocking mostly, and camped on grass, gravel, or other soils, it is really nice to have, and helps keep dirt out of the trailer, as we seldom remove footwear when we go inside.

We don't use a bag, just fold it up and put it in the access hatch that goes under the bed, with the rest of the trailer setup stuff. If needed, a simple cheap duffel bag would likely work great too.

Here is a link to a previous discussion on this topic.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...rugs-3729.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If needed, a simple cheap duffel bag would likely work great too.
Even cheaper, and I think you have a bunch Jim, is a contractor grade heavy duty trash bag.

Got a hundred bags for about $20.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Gotta be careful though, putting a wet/damp rug in a plastic trash bag can cause mold real quick if left for a day or so inside your camper.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

Very true, often it has moisture on it when stowed, and if left open dries out fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I use the 6x9, works fine although I would prefer if someone had the exact size but that's not the case. We do have the bag and would buy one again. I like the bag as it keeps it compact and contains the sand if you put it away dirty. I find the mat is usually wet underneath from ground moisture so it's usually dirty to some extent. Having a pickup truck, when the mat is really wet and dirty it goes in the back of the truck till it dries. I suppose if you had one bigger then the awnings footprint mud and sand wouldn't splash up when it rains, but it's really not a big deal. I lay it out on the driveway when we get home and hose both sides off, other then the edging it dries almost instantly. 6x9 is good for the two of us and the dog, a bigger one would also take up more room when stashed away. The bag is a 8"x36" tube, has lasted us 9 years now.

RVAwningMats.com: The largest and oldest distributor of RV mats, patio mats, RV Awning Mats and the new Fireside Patio Mat! Welcome! - RVAwningMats.com
Old 03-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I bought an inexpensive, woven plastic 6' X9' mat at Quartzite last year. (No bag; $19.99). Other than the cloth stake eyes which have broken, it has held up well.

Here is what a 6' X9' mat looks like with a 17:
Attached Thumbnails
ASH_0191.jpg  
Old 03-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
I buy outdoor cheap outdoor carpet at the hardware store. I trim it if needed to fit under the awning so water won't collect. If the edges fray I use a small torch to slightly melt it. I used to use blue, now I use green carpet. I keep it in a duffle bag. I cut a small broom handle in half and glued on matching male and female threaded PVC threaded couplings. I store the broken down broom under a front seat and screw it together for carpet sweeping.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Thanks to everyone who posted. It is always interesting to get opinions, read about what others find helpful.

We decided to pass on buying a carry bag after thinking about stowing the mat away wet and thinking about how wet it is here in BC. I'll find a spot for it in the truck bed, maybe just use a tarp or something to keep it from getting other stuff wet/muddy

Liz just ordered the Fireside mat off Amazon. We were Tempted to go with the Dometic that Jim likes but Bob (Padlin) seems happy with his Fireside mat. We figure with mostly just the two of us it should be fine.

Thanks again. Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Thanks to everyone who posted. It is always interesting to get opinions, read about what others find helpful.

We decided to pass on buying a carry bag after thinking about stowing the mat away wet and thinking about how wet it is here in BC. I'll find a spot for it in the truck bed, maybe just use a tarp or something to keep it from getting other stuff wet/muddy

Liz just ordered the Fireside mat off Amazon. We were Tempted to go with the Dometic that Jim likes but Bob (Padlin) seems happy with his Fireside mat. We figure with mostly just the two of us it should be fine.

Thanks again. Larry
When we picked up our trailer we bought the small mat at the factory and there was a bag inside for mat .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #12

I think as long as the bag breathes, all should be fine.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I bought an inexpensive, woven plastic 6' X9' mat at Quartzite last year. (No bag; $19.99). Other than the cloth stake eyes which have broken, it has held up well.

Here is what a 6' X9' mat looks like with a 17:
We use a mat that is (I believe) similar to what Vermilye is using. It is made of woven plastic, (similar to the plastic coffee stir sticks are made from). In fact I saw some in Oregon and was told that they are made form recycled stir sticks. In that particular shop some of the proceeds from the sale of the mats went to charity to help the people who made the mats. These style of mats are very common and the beauty of them is that both sand and water go right through them and they dry very quickly. They come in many sizes and colours and are reversible. We use a bag that we got at Camper World, for the reasons already mentioned.
Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #14

We always use the stake grommets if possible when using our mat, to keep it mice and taut. I actually use a couple galvanised spikes, of which I always carry 6 of, as they last forever without bending. Even the 10+ year old Dometic mat that I gave my brother, still has the grommets intact.

I have seen friends go through a couple cheaper mats in the 6 years we have had our current one, and it is just as good as new. Gets used all the time too.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We always use the stake grommets if possible when using our mat, to keep it mice and taut. I actually use a couple galvanised spikes, of which I always carry 6 of, as they last forever without bending. Even the 10+ year old Dometic mat that I gave my brother, still has the grommets intact...
I had not thought of staking down my mat to keep it from blowing away. The reason we had four kids was so that we could place one on each corner of the mat in those windy situations. I guess now that they are all getting older and we are travelling more and more without them, we may have to resort to stakes and grommets.

We did buy a large plastic mat from Costco a couple years back. Excellent price, but I think is no longer available there now. It came with its own bag to store it in and fits easily in the rear storage compartment with our folding chairs, table, and other stuff. It can be stored even if it is wet, and will not rot. If I do have to put it away wet, I will try to open it up to dry out shortly thereafter if possible.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
The reason we had four kids was so that we could place one on each corner of the mat in those windy situations.
Now THAT is a good use for the kids.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I got this one from the Home Hardware in Osoyoos. No clue if it had a name on the package. Rain and dirt go through it ( no rubber backing ). Dirt brown so it doesn't need to be swept twice a day. I had to dig it out because of the concerns about mold from keeping it in a plastic bag. Must have put it away dry.
A buddy gave me a similar size indoor/outdoor carpet with rubber backing ( he bought two ). He had his out during a sudden rain storm. Took two of us to lift it up onto the picnic table to dry. Must have weighed close to a hundred pounds wet.
Attached Thumbnails
mat.jpg  
Old 04-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I picked up a 7' x 9' woven polypropylene mat from Canadian Tire on clearance for $40.00. Sand and dirt fall thru it, it dries quickly, fits well under the awing on the 17B, does not retain moisture so even if I have to roll it up wet or damp, its still pretty light. It has a nice design and really helps to keep the trailer floor clean.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote