Outdoor Mat for 17b - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Outdoor Mat for 17b

Liz and I are shopping for the 2015 camping season. Last year we did one fall trip with our new 17b and didn't have an outdoor mat. Now we want one and have a few questions.

We are wondering if people try to get mats that fit completely under their awning - thinking about rain and the mat getting wet (of course even under the awning wind will bring in rain).

What size seems to work best for a 17' Escape. ETI says our awning size is 10' x 7'
Do people with 17' like the 6' x 9' or the larger 9' x 12'

Vendors offer carrying bags at an extra cost. Have these proven useful. I think there primary use would be for storage during a trip - keeping a wetish mat from getting other items wet and long term storage. Liz (upper management) is less convinced of their utility - saying they look a bit like carrying bags.

We've seen forum threads and see a variety of opinions regarding brands and seem to be settling between Fireside or Dometic brands.

We appreciate any advice/opinions - and are enjoying the excitement of planning for this year's season.

Larry

LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
We got the CGear Sand Free based on rave reviews both here and elsewhere. A bit pricey so we'll see if it was worth it.

CGear Sand-Free MultiMat 10' x 10' at nrs.com

Old 03-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We use a 12x7 Dometic Patty O'Mat. They are very tough, and will last long. Like others, it breathes very well, and water drains right through it. I had one with my last trailer, and gave it to my brother, who is still using it, and after well over 10 years, it is still going strong.
Products - Dometic

Seeing we are boondocking mostly, and camped on grass, gravel, or other soils, it is really nice to have, and helps keep dirt out of the trailer, as we seldom remove footwear when we go inside.

We don't use a bag, just fold it up and put it in the access hatch that goes under the bed, with the rest of the trailer setup stuff. If needed, a simple cheap duffel bag would likely work great too.

Here is a link to a previous discussion on this topic.
Outdoor rugs
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If needed, a simple cheap duffel bag would likely work great too.
Even cheaper, and I think you have a bunch Jim, is a contractor grade heavy duty trash bag.

Got a hundred bags for about $20.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Gotta be careful though, putting a wet/damp rug in a plastic trash bag can cause mold real quick if left for a day or so inside your camper.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Very true, often it has moisture on it when stowed, and if left open dries out fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I use the 6x9, works fine although I would prefer if someone had the exact size but that's not the case. We do have the bag and would buy one again. I like the bag as it keeps it compact and contains the sand if you put it away dirty. I find the mat is usually wet underneath from ground moisture so it's usually dirty to some extent. Having a pickup truck, when the mat is really wet and dirty it goes in the back of the truck till it dries. I suppose if you had one bigger then the awnings footprint mud and sand wouldn't splash up when it rains, but it's really not a big deal. I lay it out on the driveway when we get home and hose both sides off, other then the edging it dries almost instantly. 6x9 is good for the two of us and the dog, a bigger one would also take up more room when stashed away. The bag is a 8"x36" tube, has lasted us 9 years now.

RVAwningMats.com: The largest and oldest distributor of RV mats, patio mats, RV Awning Mats and the new Fireside Patio Mat! Welcome! - RVAwningMats.com
Old 03-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
I bought an inexpensive, woven plastic 6' X9' mat at Quartzite last year. (No bag; $19.99). Other than the cloth stake eyes which have broken, it has held up well.

Here is what a 6' X9' mat looks like with a 17:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASH_0191.jpg (165.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 03-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #9

I buy outdoor cheap outdoor carpet at the hardware store. I trim it if needed to fit under the awning so water won't collect. If the edges fray I use a small torch to slightly melt it. I used to use blue, now I use green carpet. I keep it in a duffle bag. I cut a small broom handle in half and glued on matching male and female threaded PVC threaded couplings. I store the broken down broom under a front seat and screw it together for carpet sweeping.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Thanks to everyone who posted. It is always interesting to get opinions, read about what others find helpful.

We decided to pass on buying a carry bag after thinking about stowing the mat away wet and thinking about how wet it is here in BC. I'll find a spot for it in the truck bed, maybe just use a tarp or something to keep it from getting other stuff wet/muddy

Liz just ordered the Fireside mat off Amazon. We were Tempted to go with the Dometic that Jim likes but Bob (Padlin) seems happy with his Fireside mat. We figure with mostly just the two of us it should be fine.

Thanks again. Larry

LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote