Outland Firebowl - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #1

Outland Firebowl

I usually don't comment on products but as I'm told happy wife , happy life , which has led me to the outland firebowl . I purchased the propane firepit from our local costco for about $80 a purchase that I am extremely happy with , now don't get me wrong I still love a wood fire but the wife not being a fan of the cold or with wood smoke being infused into everything now spends more time enjoying the ambiance and me her company instead of her crawling into the trailer early with a book or laptop . It isn't that hard on propane on the low setting yet throws a ton of heat and a very realistic flame and because it's a controlled flame can be put under the awning if raining or in the screen tent defying the barrage of mosquito's , as well as being able to use it during the plethora of fire bans experienced during summer outings , we even use it on the wood deck in the backyard for drinks in the evening . The only thing we didn't like was that it didn't come with a lid which after checking online found that they make one so I got our local bbq country to order them seeing as how they also sell the firepit but at a much higher price than costco , the rocks in the firepit would be bouncing around the truck bed before so problem solved the tab for the lid/carrying handle was $30 , now when the night wraps up after one to many glasses of scotch we simply turn the propane off and scoot off to bed without having to douse the coals of our fire . Money well spent perhap's not to some but for me , quality time was well worth the dollars , cheers mike
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
ohhh thanks for the idea of the lid--we use the carry bag of course when its cook--but the lid would be easier..
Finally burned up all our old "house" wood this past weekend..I like the ease of the firepit and how when you turn it off--its off...
Old 05-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Mike , which bbq country did you get the lid from ?
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Stoney, could you comment on how much space this unit takes up? If you could provide approximate dimensions, that would be great.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #5

I got the bbq country down on capilano beside the motorcycle shop to order them in , it's across from the bmw dealership , it was cheaper than paying freight to get one to my doorstep and now others can have them as well , they didn't know a carrying lid was even available , the price they had on the firepit was considerably more than costco though almost double so for less than they wanted for it I got the firepit , carrying lid , and an adapter for my 25ft bbq hose so we're happy and now we can place it 35ft away from the trailer if need be , we've been at campsites where that would reach the beach we were backed onto , cheers mike
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #6

Sorry had to run to the shed it is 19 inches wide and 12 inches high has a 10ft hose with regulator and an on , off dial to regulate the flame control and has what I would call large lava rock filler over the burner , the bottom support is high enough off the ground that we use it on the wood deck without scorching it , used it out in the bush this spring during a miserable storm -17c with a howling wind in the center of a first up tent with no sides we lowered the tent to the 4ft setting and 5 of us got fairly intoxicated keeping warm around it wearing only hoodies , I might add that one of our other pieces of camping gear are the silver foil chair liners those things are awesome , hope that helps , cheers mike p.s. we're leaving for chilliwack tommorow hope I can sleep lol
Old 05-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Stoney.
What city you are referring to?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #8

Thanks Mike, we have the same one so will be on the south side on saturday, will pick one up. Mike is refering to Edmonton.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #9

Dave if you haven't picked up your lid yet then go to woody's rv on st albert trail they also have the lids and they're only $19 bucks darn it , it's not worth my fuel to return the other one to bbq country but I'll phone and see if they'll price match it for a partial refund , they are still overpriced on the firepit though it was also $110 so costco has them beat , cheers mike
Old 06-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Another option...

...is to get one of these made by The Fire Pit Gallery in Ohio. They should be easy to convert to propane and a piece of cake to haul around. And only $1600!!
Attached Thumbnails
Up-North-Fire-Pit-3.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #11

well crap.... I was at bbq country on Saturday and already bought one. Its a fair drive for us too so 10 bucks just isn't worth bothering with. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Has anyone ever used the Camco Little Red Campfire? Wonder how it compares to the Outland since the Camco comes with a cover.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
...is to get one of these made by The Fire Pit Gallery in Ohio. They should be easy to convert to propane and a piece of cake to haul around. And only $1600!!
and only weigh 180 lbs.?!?!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Bought one of those Camco Little Red Campfires for the summer trip when we heard that wood fires were banned in 2 counties in Oregon because of the fire danger. Never thought I'd see the day...but we actually kind of like the darn thing! The portability is nice, we used it right under the trailer awning one day when it was raining. I also bought a smaller (11 pound) propane tank to use with it. Puts out plenty of heat, too. I got it on a special sale at Camping World.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
Bought one of those Camco Little Red Campfires for the summer trip when we heard that wood fires were banned in 2 counties in Oregon because of the fire danger. Never thought I'd see the day...but we actually kind of like the darn thing! The portability is nice, we used it right under the trailer awning one day when it was raining. I also bought a smaller (11 pound) propane tank to use with it. Puts out plenty of heat, too. I got it on a special sale at Camping World.
Does anyone know if this can be hooked up directly to the Escape quick disconnect? According to the Amazon description" It includes an adjustable regulator with a maximum output of 65,000 BTU/HR."
Old 11-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I bought this one
Camp Chef Portable Propane-Powered Fire Ring : Cabela's

Once it gets dark it work surprisingly well for a cheaper product, been using it for about a year. The flames on mine are about 10" high, they don't show up when it's light out. You can also smell the gas somewhat, only notice it for the first few minutes. It does burn better after it heats up. Sure is nice to have instant fire, and no smoke. It does sit pretty low on the ground.

The one your looking at looks the same, hookup wise to mine. A few weeks back I hooked it up to the external gas port on my hybrid which I imagine is the same as Escapes. I did have to make a mod to the existing fire ring hose as it has an end for the gas bottles. No big deal, it was a $4 part from the camper supply shop. I also made up an extension for it as the one on the ring is only 5' and the one on the hybrid about 2'. I did notice that the Escape comes with an extension so other then the hose mod it should work.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:29 AM   #17

I'm sure a way could be made to make the connections work, but the Camco has a high pressure regulator, whereas the pressure out of the external connection on the Escape is low pressure. Whether it would burn the same, I don't know.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape
Camp Chef Redwood Portable Propane Fire Pit with 4 Roasting Sticks, Black:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

I bought this Camp Chef Redwood. 19 inches wide, good carrying case, the top ring makes it easy to handle, quiet. When you read reviews you find out that just about everyone likes whatever model the get.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I purchased the Outland Firebowl from Costco last summer. Had to take the regulator off that came with it and add a longer propane hose with a quick connect fitting. It works quite well. Just plug into the external propane connection on the Escape and light it up. Saved a bundle on wood, and never smell like smoke when I go to bed. Flame is instant off when you want, which is nice, but you still must let it cool down before packing it away.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Bought one of those Camco Little Red Campfires...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
Does anyone know if this can be hooked up directly to the Escape quick disconnect? According to the Amazon description" It includes an adjustable regulator with a maximum output of 65,000 BTU/HR."
Not likely as-is, due to both the type of connector and the pressure for which it is designed. That regulator is designed to take propane at the tank pressure, as posted earlier:
Quote:
I'm sure a way could be made to make the connections work, but the Camco has a high pressure regulator, whereas the pressure out of the external connection on the Escape is low pressure.
So the solution is this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I purchased the Outland Firebowl from Costco last summer. Had to take the regulator off that came with it and add a longer propane hose with a quick connect fitting.
The challenge is that some appliances combine the regulator (which you want to remove, using the Escape's regulator instead) with the flame control (which you still need). This is a common issue with small barbecues.

Camco seems to have three of these portable campfires:
Little Red Campfire
Big Red Campfire
Portable Propane Campfire.

All of those have combined controls (visible in the photos) - I would not expect them to work on the low-pressure connection, and a separate control would be needed if the combined regulator/control were removed. I suppose you can buy that, although the appliance has no place to mount it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote