Podcasts - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
How did you transition to the new version of BeyondPod? I found it to be so different from the previous already-hard-to-use version that I couldn't figure it out, and gave up.
I don't think I ever updated to that version. I was happy with the version I was using and I think I might have read some bad reviews in the new version.
I purchased an iPhone 6 a week or so ago and have been enjoying the very user friendly podcast app on it.

Maureen
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Beware, beware: the new version is very different, and to me incomprehensible. I just barely grasped the earlier version and found it to be very unintuitive. The "upgrade" left me bewildered. I couldn't figure it out at all.

Perhaps app developers do stuff like this in order to show off their programming prowess, and don't even think about usability. Maybe that's it.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I got the update and yes it is different. I spent the time to learn it and now I like it better than the previous one. It wasn't intuitive at first as it was so different but it works well for me. I subscribe to a half dozen or more podcasts and it helps me manage them.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #24

I don't seem to have the patience to climb the learning curve on any computer application, whether it's a cellphone app or programs that I really need to learn how to use well, such as Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I need to get over that.

I remember now-- I couldn't figure out how to download podcasts and store them on the phone with the new BeyondPod; I could only stream them over wifi, which I didn't want to do. If the new version will let me download and store the podcasts, I'll give it another shot.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I download podcasts and play them later. I recall that there is a version of Android that requires a setting change to be able to save podcasts for later playback.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
If you enjoy history at all, one of my favorite podcasts (that I listen to on my iPhone) is Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History". Show 43 to Show 53 are free. A good place to start is show 43, "The Wrath of the Khans". I have recommended this to several of my friends and the ones that have listened it it have became fans as well.
ddeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #27

It was the Hardcore History podcast that prompted me to upgrade the version of BeyondPod that I was using. With the previous version of BeyondPod, I couldn't get Hardcore History to stop playing. Then I "upgraded" BeyondPod and it was downhill from there.

It could have been anything, though-- I have a cheap LG smartphone that I use with the Tracfone service, pay-as-you-go. Since I never talk to anyone, I was unwilling to pay for a contract with a major carrier. Well, you get what you pay for, I guess.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:43 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeg View Post
If you enjoy history at all, one of my favorite podcasts (that I listen to on my iPhone) is Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History". Show 43 to Show 53 are free. A good place to start is show 43, "The Wrath of the Khans". I have recommended this to several of my friends and the ones that have listened it it have became fans as well.
I listened to one of his podcasts awhile back, and it was interesting, but we didn't care for the frequent F bombs. To each his own.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I tried a couple podcasts. Is it common to have all that chatter and advertising at the beginning, or am I just getting the wrong ones?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I tried a couple podcasts. Is it common to have all that chatter and advertising at the beginning, or am I just getting the wrong ones?
The ones I listen to don't have that. Kudlow's, for instance, is a podcast of his radio show, but the advertisements are cut out. The breaks are still there; they have the intro music for each segment of his show, but they just go directly from one segment to the next. The John Batchelor show is the same.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
The ones I listen to don't have that. Kudlow's, for instance, is a podcast of his radio show, but the advertisements are cut out. The breaks are still there; they have the intro music for each segment of his show, but they just go directly from one segment to the next. The John Batchelor show is the same.
Good to hear. I just need to keep looking then. I was getting a bit turned off by the advertising.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #32

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I tried 2 different ones today, no advertising, Hardcore History and Ideas. If you try the Roadhouse, it does have advertising to some extent, cost me $25 a year to get the ad free version.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #33

I started to download BeyondPod again then looked at the reviews. There was a recommendation for Pocket Casts, so I bought that one instead for $3.99. I can download and play podcasts with it, which is farther than I got with the current version of BeyondPod. YMMV, as they say.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:15 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
The most popular podcast in the last year was Serial by This American Life. It is very well produced and an interesting true story. I understand there will be another "season" this year.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote