Polar Cub AC. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2017, 11:17 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The reason why there's a 30 amp receptacle on the companion model is that it's designed for use with your RV's power cord. With two 2000 watt generators running together, you can plug in the trailer power cord with no adapter - just like regular 30 amp shore power.

The 1600 watts you refer to is the running output. The peak output is 2000 watts. And yes it's still applicable to the Dometic AC currently being installed in Escapes. The eu2000i will run the AC. This could be affected however by elevation. The higher you go, the less power the generator will produce. Reace's tests were done at a relatively low elevation in Chilliwack.

As far as power cords are concerned, with a single eu2000i, you would just use a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter, and plug in the trailer umbilical. However, I would recommend you use an adapter that has a bonded neutral internally. That way, it will work when the trailer's Electrical Management System (EMS) is on.
You will still need an adapter as the Honda EU2000i Companion has a 30 amp twist lock. You can actually see it on the generator in the photo in post #18. There is no advantage to the Companion over the standard unless want to pay more money or you plan to parallel two units. If you run a Companion alone the "30 amp" plug will certainly work but will have a reduced amperage output equal to using the 20 amp plug with adaptor.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55333-3-...0011FLODA?th=1

The standard and Companion have the same power output as a single unit. 1600W rated; 2000W peak. SouthernCamper implied they were different.

The bonded neutral issue applies to trailers that have elected the "Surge Protector" option as it is really an EMS and locks out on open neutral. This GEN-PLUG is plugged into the unused 20 amp receptacle so it isn't really considered an adaptor. Many are probably fine just bypassing the EMS, but this resolved the issue for us and allows the EMS to run with full protection. One should note that even in bypass the EMS surge protection is still active.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In.../dp/B01BYSFQSW
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:20 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
You will still need an adapter as the Honda EU2000i Companion has a 30 amp twist lock.
Yes, as in the photo in post 18. Good catch.

Quote:
The bonded neutral issue applies to trailers that have elected the "Surge Protector" option as it is really an EMS and locks out on open neutral. This GEN-PLUG is plugged into the unused 20 amp receptacle so it isn't really considered an adaptor.

Yep. Thanks for clarifying that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2017, 11:43 PM   #23

Quote:
The 1600 watts you refer to is the running output. The peak output is 2000 watts. And yes it's still applicable to the Dometic AC currently being installed in Escapes. The eu2000i will run the AC. This could be affected however by elevation. The higher you go, the less power the generator will produce. Reace's tests were done at a relatively low elevation in Chilliwack.
Honda quotes 3.5% reduction in power output for every 1000 feet ASL. Recommend carburetor adjustment if gen is always operated above 5000 feet to keep from running too rich. Must be readjusted at lower altitude to keep from running too lean. This is obviously inconvenient for the traveler who might use their gen a various elevations. This may be a non-issue for most as you noted it is cooler at higher altitudes and gen use is likely limited.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:52 PM   #24

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
You will still need an adapter as the Honda EU2000i Companion has a 30 amp twist lock. You can actually see it on the generator in the photo in post #18. There is no advantage to the Companion over the standard unless want to pay more money or you plan to parallel two units. If you run a Companion alone the "30 amp" plug will certainly work but will have a reduced amperage output equal to using the 20 amp plug with adaptor.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55333-3-...0011FLODA?th=1

The standard and Companion have the same power output as a single unit. 1600W rated; 2000W peak. SouthernCamper implied they were different.

The bonded neutral issue applies to trailers that have elected the "Surge Protector" option as it is really an EMS and locks out on open neutral. This GEN-PLUG is plugged into the unused 20 amp receptacle so it isn't really considered an adaptor. Many are probably fine just bypassing the EMS, but this resolved the issue for us and allows the EMS to run with full protection. One should note that even in bypass the EMS surge protection is still active.

So either model will result in equivalent amperage output?

What do people use the two companion models at a time for? If one can run the AC, would I still potentially need two for a reason I'm not seeing? In all likelihood, I would strongly consider getting the companion model, just to leave my options open for getting another for future uses that may come up outside of camping.

We intend to get the surge protector. As previously mentioned I'm not good with this subject, and I'm a young mother so I've got more on my mind than power surges. Likewise, I'd rather not bypass EMS. I don't even know what the 20 amp receptacle is, is that on the generator or camper? Would this GEN-PLUG work for either the companion or standard model?

Talking adapters, to be sure I have it right: the companion would just need a different connection adapter, whereas the standard will need a 30 to 20 amp adapter?

Thank you so much!
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:05 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
So either model will result in equivalent amperage output?
They're the same generator - just different outlets.

What do people use the two companion models at a time for?
Don't over complicate it. The idea of the companion model is that you get a 30 amp receptacle when it's run in parallel with another eu2000i. If run solo, it's still a 30 amp receptacle, but it won't output 30 amps.

If one can run the AC, would I still potentially need two for a reason I'm not seeing?
Two eu2000i's running in parallel means a max output of 4000 watts. Enough to run everything at the same time. If you don't intend to do that, save yourself some money and some storage and don't get two.

In all likelihood, I would strongly consider getting the companion model, just to leave my options open for getting another for future uses that may come up outside of camping.
There's no need. A regular eu2000i is all you need if you're only running one generator. If you decide to add a second later and run in parallel, get either the standard or the companion.

We intend to get the surge protector. As previously mentioned I'm not good with this subject, and I'm a young mother so I've got more on my mind than power surges. Likewise, I'd rather not bypass EMS. I don't even know what the 20 amp receptacle is, is that on the generator or camper? Would this GEN-PLUG work for either the companion or standard model?
The eu2000i has two 20 amp receptacles (power outlets). As Rubicon pointed out, if you want to run the EMS when using the generator, you'd need the gen plug in the unused receptacle. The other 20 amp receptacle would be connected to a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter, and to the trailer cord.

Talking adapters, to be sure I have it right: the companion would just need a different connection adapter, whereas the standard will need a 30 to 20 amp adapter?
With the companion model, you would use a twist lock to straight pin adapter, seen in the photo in post 18. It won't output 30 amp power however as a solo generator. That's fine, you don't need 30 amp output to run the AC. If you have the standard model, you would use a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter.
I would not worry at all about a companion model. Just get a regular eu2000i, a gen plug if you want to run the EMS while on generator power, and a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter so you can connect the trailer power cord. That's it.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #26

Quote:
I would not worry at all about a companion model. Just get a regular eu2000i, a gen plug if you want to run the EMS while on generator power, and a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter so you can connect the trailer power cord. That's it.
That settles it. Thanks for everyone's input. It's great to know that although it's complex, set-up will be simple.

Also, my husband laughed when you said don't over-complicate it.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:28 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Also, my husband laughed when you said don't over-complicate it.
And my wife laughed when I read this to her. [emoji23]

Old 07-01-2017, 12:32 AM   #28

Quote:
All points perfectly stated. The only thing I would add is that if someone did feel the need to get the Companion model the GEN-PLUG can be still be used in the single 20 amp receptacle on that model while the trailer cord is plugged into the 30 amp outlet with a twist lock adapter. This solves the open neutral issue on this model. In fact the spacing on the regular model makes it tight to use the GEN-PLUG and the 30-20 adapter side-by-side but it still works. The Companion affords more space with the plug arrangement. This would be the only (small) benefit I see with the Companion model.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:34 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
All points perfectly stated. The only thing I would add is that if someone did feel the need to get the Companion model the GEN-PLUG can be still be used in the single 20 amp receptacle on that model while the trailer cord is plugged into the 30 amp outlet with a twist lock adapter. This solves the open neutral issue on this model. In fact the spacing on the regular model makes it tight to use the GEN-PLUG and the 30-20 adapter side-by-side but it still works. The Companion affords more space with the plug arrangement. This would be the only (small) benefit I see with the Companion model.
A fair point Dave. To prevent the open neutral when using with an EMS, you'd need the plug with either model.

On a side note, I've been trying to devise some design for a collapsible sided or foldable quiet box that would work with the Honda. Even as quiet as they are, I detest generator noise. Hmmm. Thinking.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:44 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
On a side note, I've been trying to devise some design for a collapsible sided or foldable quiet box that would work with the Honda. Even as quiet as they are, I detest generator noise. Hmmm. Thinking.
Make it shower proof too. Not supposed to leave my Honda 1000 out in the rain, apparently.
I made a gaffer tape and Coroplast hood for my Mac laptop so I could process photos in bright sunshine. It folded flat.
Got to make sure the exhaust isn't obstructed though, and that's where the noise comes from.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:49 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Got to make sure the exhaust isn't obstructed though, and that's where the noise comes from.
Yep, that's the tricky part. But if the noise is only coming out of one end of the box, it's a little easier to tolerate. [emoji6]

Old 07-01-2017, 01:15 AM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... You can also connect two regular eu2000is together in parallel, but you won't have a 30 amp receptacle. In order to plug in the trailer 30 amp power cord in such a case, you'd need a pigtail adapter which uses two 20 amp connections, outputted to a single 30 amp connection.
That's true with the basic parallel cables; however, as Honda explains there is also a parallel kit:
  • Parallel cables allow the user to obtain the full power of both units, limited by the capacity of an individual outlet. Parallel cables are available for the EU1000i, EU2000i, EU3000 Handi, EU3000i, and EU7000iS.
  • If you have 2 regular EU2000i or 2 EU7000iS, consider a parallel kit. The parallel kits include a built in 30A outlet (EU2000) or 50A outlet (EU7000iS), which is capable of providing the combined full power from both generators.
  • If you have a regular EU2000i and the Companion model, you only need a parallel cord. You will be able to use the 30A outlet on the Companion to draw the full combined power of the two units.

The Companion version exists mostly to allow a neater solution (with just the simple parallel cables) than using the full parallel kit. Electrically it is essentially the same as the two-into-one adapter which Robert described.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:19 AM   #33
Site Team

Yes, didn't mention the kit. There are lots of options.

Man, I'm glad I don't have to lug around two 3000is generators as in the photo.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:02 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Its my opinion, but save your money and DO NOT BUY A GENERATOR. Instead invest in solar panels (multiples if necessary) and perhaps more batteries. Too hot where you camp? .... seek higher elevations or a marine enviroment. Generators suck your budget, make way too much noise and annoy your neighbors. A gas engine is shot after 2,000 - 3,000 operating hours (more often closer towards 2,000) where a solar panel .... is usually guaranteed to produce 80% output after 20 years . Solar panels are very much many times over a better investment.

Not sure? ... go camping near home and see what you need. Adjust for the next trip. Maybe adjusting your destination / time of the year for camping can solve the problem and save $1000's.

As an important disclaimer, I live in Alaska and do not go camping during the hot months anywhere in the lower 48. Living where I do ... I have that as an option. There must be an alternative for you.

Be considerate of your neighbors .... twin 2000 Hondas? Oh my God!

Tom

Bet I'll get some blowback on that ....
Old 07-01-2017, 02:27 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Bet I'll get some blowback on that ....
Not from me, Tom. I dislike generators too, and I don't use one when I camp. Big fan of solar power, but of course it's not for AC. Living as I do in South Texas, I don't usually camp in the summer. When I do camp in the hot months here, I compromise and use a campground with hookups. Normal camping season for us is October to early May.

I do see the usefulness of generators though in some cases. If you camp where there's no chance of disturbing another camper with generator noise, I've no problem with it, particularly if it's one of the smaller and more quiet ones. But, no plans to use one when camping myself.

I do like to tinker though, and one of my projects is to design some sort of generator quiet box that can either be collapsed or disassembled for transport.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Do you have a tonneau cover on the truck bed? I've not needed the generator since I got the Escape but that's where I used to keep and run it when I had my Starcraft. It helped some with the noise.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post

As an important disclaimer, I live in Alaska and do not go camping during the hot months anywhere in the lower 48. Living where I do ... I have that as an option. There must be an alternative for you.
For us personally, here in South Louisiana, we are acquainted with heat. However, our purpose for a generator is more for quick (long day on the road, camping in unconventional spot, really want a microwave for toddler's dinner) and/or urgent situations such as heat that becomes too much. We will have solar and dual batteries for our small electrical needs. But when traveling with a child we've got to have a plan to keep temps safe, and in general just to be provided for in case of some what ifs. Also for us, travel will not only be purely for fun, but for business, so we can't always choose location.

Everyone's camper experiences are so different, grateful for the forums to be able to hear about them!
Old 07-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #38

Quote:
I do like to tinker though, and one of my projects is to design some sort of generator quiet box that can either be collapsed or disassembled for transport.
My father made an enclosure for a Honda EU2000i out of 2" Owens Corning Foamular insulation. It was left over from a Scamp underside insulating project. Three sides and a roof with generous airspace. Lag screws press in to holes to hold it together. Makes a big difference, except for the open side the exhaust faces.

Owens Corning FOAMULAR 150 2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-10 Scored Squared Edge Insulation Sheathing-45W - The Home Depot
Old 07-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
My father made an enclosure for a Honda EU2000i out of 2" Owens Corning Foamular insulation. It was left over from a Scamp underside insulating project. Three sides and a roof with generous airspace. Lag screws press in to holes to hold it together. Makes a big difference, except for the open side the exhaust faces.

Owens Corning FOAMULAR 150 2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-10 Scored Squared Edge Insulation Sheathing-45W - The Home Depot
Interesting idea. I'm trying something similar, in that the panels are held together with simple hinges with L shaped pins. You'd assemble or dismantle by either inserting or pulling the pins. I've constructed some rigid panels so far using scrap 3/8" plywood I had, with acoustical foam glued to one side. The exhaust side won't be open however but vented. Trying to devise some sort of baffle there that will reduce the exhaust noise but still provide adequate airflow. I'll get it, just have to let the ideas soak for awhile.