Polar Cub AC. - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #1

Polar Cub AC.

Has anyone here used a Polar Cub AC and can say how it worked? (How many BTUs?) I know just a couple of people put them on their Escapes.
How about the Dometic? Is it working well?
Thank you.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Polar Cub AC.

I looked into A/C units 3 years ago quite a bit, but decided to forego one for now, and have not needed it. We will put one on when we start travelling to hotter climates. At the time the Polar Cub would have been the one I would have used. If you have the extra insulation and dual glazed windows, you really don't need one very big. The only thing I did not like about it compared to the one Escape normally uses, is that it a bit taller. Otherwise, it gets good reviews, and is more than big enough. If you wanted to use a 2kW gen set, it would be no problem either.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21

You might also look at the Coleman "MACH I POWER SAVER 9632". It is a 11,000 BTU AC that draws less running amps and a lower locked rotor amperage than the Polar Cub 9200. Here is a PDF that shows all the Coleman models.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #4

Jon, I know you know what you are talking about but I decidedly do not! The 9,200 installed is more than $1100 so I can imagine what the 11,000 BTUs costs. But are you saying that there could be a problem starting the 9,200 with a 30amp set-up? Or do you mean you use less electricity with the 11,000? I am thinking what Jim said, that maybe less BTUs are necessary due to insulation and thermal windows. Jim, I do expect to spend a lot of my camping time up near or over the border so who knows how much AC is needed.
Cathy
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Cathy,

We had a Coleman on our Scamp and the Dometic on the Escape. Both worked fine and seemed to be similar noise levels, but we have very very rarely needed to use them. I only really got A/C since the roof needs to be reinforced for the weight and it seemed like it would be much more expensive to go back and retrofit one. Maybe someday we will head somewhere hot enough to need it. But since most of our trips are in the spring and fall, and we are seldom anywhere with AC power it mostly is just a decoration on top of Blue.

Eric

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Cathy, with the extra insulation and dual glazed windows, not only does it hold the heat, it stays quite cool inside even on hot days. Having the awning out helps too. We have camped in 30°C (86°F) weather a few times, and have not felt the need for A/C. These places have all cooled down good at night which helps too.

Eric is right that if added later one would need the shroud that Escape uses to stiffen the roof for mounting the A/C. They could ship that to you, or a trip back to visit the factory would be a fun thing to do anyway, so long as you are close enough.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #7

Actually, I have to check if the 11,000 BTUs is installed for $1100 plus or the other one. May have that wrong.
Jim and Eric, I just stupidly made the assumption that all Escapes are now built to take AC. For sure I want to ask about that. I thought they didn't do that at first but were doing it in recent years. Don't know.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy
Jon, I know you know what you are talking about but I decidedly do not! The 9,200 installed is more than $1100 so I can imagine what the 11,000 BTUs costs. But are you saying that there could be a problem starting the 9,200 with a 30amp set-up? Or do you mean you use less electricity with the 11,000? I am thinking what Jim said, that maybe less BTUs are necessary due to insulation and thermal windows. Jim, I do expect to spend a lot of my camping time up near or over the border so who knows how much AC is needed.
Cathy
There is no problem running any of the ACs discussed on a 30 amp connection. The concern most have is trying to come up with an AC that will run on one 2000 watt generator. According to Escape, the 11,000BTU Dometic they use will not start when connected to a Honda 2000 watt generator. According to many users, the Polar Cub 9200 will run on a single Honda generator. The Coleman Mach I Power Saver is relatively new; I have no idea whether is is possible for Reace at Escape Trailer Industries can install one or what the cost would be, but is does spec out at requiring even less power than the Polar Cub.

Again, there is no problem running just about any single AC on a campground 30 amp connection; it is the generator supply that is the problem.

If you did decide to use an AC other than one supplied by Escape, they could provide the wiring & roof reinforcement to make the trailer "AC ready" and after delivery you could have one installed locally.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #9

John, Tammy has just told me that they a now using a newer model Dometic 600312.331C which can be used with a 2000 watt generator. It has a Smart Start feature. So they have taken care of that problem.

Cathy
Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #10

I meant Jon! Sorry, Jon!