Portable gas grill recommendation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19'
Send a message via MSN to jd65 Send a message via Yahoo to jd65
Portable gas grill recommendation

We picked up our new 19 last month and are getting it outfitted a little bit at a time. We opted for the exterior propane quick connection. Looking for recommendations for a portable gas grill that will work with it. Thanks.
jd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The Weber is compact, not stainless steel so it's easy to clean, cooks great .... Gets my vote.
Attached Thumbnails
Weber3.jpg  
Old 04-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Portable gas grill recommendation

2 votes for the WeberQ 1000 or 1200 as Myron has. 1000 doesn't have side shelves.
Mine connects to the low pressure trailer connection and works awesome.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16
Yet one more vote for the Weber! I gave my Magma away after finding this little wonder grill.
Island Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
What exact coupler (or type of quick connect hose) would I need to connect a quick connect hose to a Weber 1000? to then go right into an Escape quick connect female.

FWIIW the Weber 1000 is currently $162 on Amazon.... using the web browser plugin camelcamelcamel i can see that $162 is a low price, compared to history on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-5006000.../dp/B00FDOONEC

I dont need the side shelves of the 1200.... as we travel with a big folding table....

any downside to buying the 1000? other than no side shelves.

thanks

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We have the Weber Q1200 and the side shelves fold in pretty neat for travel and storage. One thing I haven't done is convert it to use it with the gas line on the trailer. Sometimes picnic tables are to far away to use. Using the little green bottles for now. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've got the Q1000, the only con is no thermometer, which I use on my big Weber at home all the time. The Q1200 has one but it's an extra $30. The down side of that one is it has the wings, making it bigger to pack away on the road. It also has a higher lid, making more room for the thermometer.

I did add my own thermometer which helps.

Other then that it seems to me it takes a long time for the Q1000 to heat up, of course I compare it to my big Weber. I never tried the 1 lb bottles so I do not know if the slow warmup is just inherent to the grill, or if it is due to running off the RVs propane.

I do wish I had a longer gas hose, I think the one I have is 12', another 5' or 6' would be nice.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Careful with the side shelves. As in, don't put anything too heavy on them, because they are plastic and bend.
Had the Weber, but I wanted to be able to cook foods indirectly so I found the Napoleon portable with two burners. It's not going to fit in the front storage box. I travel with mine in the aisle of the trailer. The version with the tall lid can roast a whole chicken.
Attached Thumbnails
chicken napoleon - 1.jpg   Camp kitchen.jpg  
Old 04-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Geisby's
We use a WeberQ 1200 as well. Also bought the portable stand but haven't used it yet. We usually put on the picnic table or on our portable table.
Still need to buy the connector so we can attach to the low pressure trailer connection.

I like the deep cover on the Weber - can barbecue a whole chicken or large roast.
Geisby's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
bbq

I'm with gbaglo, the decision is do you need two burners or one. Personally all I ever do is indirect cooking so that made my choice pretty easy.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
What exact coupler (or type of quick connect hose) would I need to connect a quick connect hose to a Weber 1000? to then go right into an Escape quick connect female.

any downside to buying the 1000? other than no side shelves.

john
The Weber Q is easy to convert to low pressure, but there is no "kit" to do it. You have to separate the regulator from the control knob using two wrenches of the appropriate size. You can then purchase brass fittings at Lowe's or Home Depot to connect to a hose. How you do it depends on whether you want to wrap a fixed hose around the grill, or have a removeable hose using QD fittings. And as Bob said, only downside is no thermometer. But you can buy a replacement grill thermometer at Lowe's or Home Depot and drill a hole in the top, front of the lid and install one yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Careful with the side shelves. As in, don't put anything too heavy on them, because they are plastic and bend.
Had the Weber, but I wanted to be able to cook foods indirectly so I found the Napoleon portable with two burners. It's not going to fit in the front storage box. I travel with mine in the aisle of the trailer. The version with the tall lid can roast a whole chicken.
The Napoleon is a quality grill although, IMO, is a bit tinny and not as "solid" as the Weber and it will not fit in the outside storage compartments as Glenn has stated. However, it does have the advantage of indirect heat and a higher BTU output. Then again, to truly cook with indirect heat a smoker grill would be more appropriate. In a relatively small grill with two burners any food over the unlit burner is still relatively close to the flame on the other side.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I like the Broil King Porta Chef because of the removable legs.

Porta Chef

I removed the regulator and installed a quick connect fitting.

Quick Connect Kit
chemando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:53 PM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I like the idea of the 2 burner that Glenn has, but I'm not going to buy another. Got a feeling the Weber will last as long as I'll be camping.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Still loving our Dickinson Spitfire 180. Built like a tank, we bake and grill in it all the time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Weber Q1200 rocks. For the extra $30 compared to the Q1000 you get an electronic ignition, folding side tables and a thermometer. Also the higher lid gives you a little more volume if you were to do a whole roast or chicken. You would be hard pressed to find a better made portable gas grill in my opinion. This is just the right size. The Q2000/Q2200's are too big if you are looking to keep it very convenient and manageable while camping.

I have the portable cart too and used it this summer at the shore where the rental didn't have a grill. With the cart, the hose adaptor for a full size tank and a 20 pounder you won't even miss your grill at home.

On a river float trip this past summer I decided to throw the Weber on its own tube and grill lunch on an island where we stop. Did well cooking for 7 of us in one round. One of my buddies liked it so much he dug his phone out of the dry bag and almost ordered it.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #16

My Dickinson was great for cremating steak or chicken, even after they sent me a new regulator under warranty. Gave it to my son-in-law, along with the Weber. He's now replaced both with a Broil King ( full size ).
Old 04-23-2017, 08:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My Dickinson was great for cremating steak or chicken, even after they sent me a new regulator under warranty. Gave it to my son-in-law, along with the Weber. He's now replaced both with a Broil King ( full size ).
I can do that too if left on high heat for too long.

Was impressed enough with their products that I bit the bullet and bought one of their ranges (albeit at a smoking deal).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have the Weber Q 120 (the old style before the numbers changed.) I like the temp gauge in the hood and the trays to hold my utensils and salt, pepper, etc. After the Webers are used a few times the grease buildup does have an odor, I'm pretty religious about chancing the drip pan. I got a large heavy duty plastic tote from the container store. The snap lid fits tight enough that there are no odors. We haul the Weber in the Highlander while on the road. I have not converted to the quick connect setup. I went to the 11 lb tank for this year with an auxillary hose. Got tired of the short lived 1 lb bottles. The hose, my cooking tools, extra drip pans, and the Weber all fit in my tote. Sometimes I like to cook a little ways off from the camper as some campgrounds have a slightly remote, non movable picnic table. Works for us.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:31 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
We have the Weber Q1200 and the side shelves fold in pretty neat for travel and storage. One thing I haven't done is convert it to use it with the gas line on the trailer. Sometimes picnic tables are to far away to use. Using the little green bottles for now. Loren
Put me in for a vote on the Weber Q1200. We have not converted it either. I use my camp stove with the low-pressure hose. I like the fact that the Q1200 has a thermometer built into it. I want to try baking in it this year. We bought the folding stand for the Weber as well. Love that grill, we have been using the Weber Q3000 at home for years.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Put me in for a vote on the Weber Q1200.
And now, you can get the Weber with a lid in the colour of your choice. I think it even comes in purple, or is that lilac? Anyway, you can likely match your graphics.