Portable gas grills that fit in front box? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Portable gas grills that fit in front box?

I have read about the many fine grills that folks have discussed on this forum. When I check however, they seem to be too big to fit in the front box.

We have a Weber Go Anywhere. It does fit in the front box, sideways, BUT it is a really an under powered grill IMHO. (8.5K BTU). I am lucky if I can get a few faint sear marks on a steak even on high and the hottest part of the grill.

We don't want the food aroma from a used grill in the trailer or tow vehicle (Jeep) and the 21 doesn't have much room under the seats anyway so, anybody got a better grill that fits?

Thanks!
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I transport my well used Weber Q100 (current model is Q1000) in the back seat of the tow vehicle. I get no odor/aroma/smell because it is inside a large Rubbermaid type tote to insure there is no possibility of getting grease on the upholstery. The tote contains any odors. It also serves as a rain cover when the grill is not in use by turning it upside down over the grill. It is 8500 BTU, but I have no problem on high cooking steaks the way I like them. And I think the Go Anywhere is 6500 BTU, not 8500. But the point is, contained in a tote, no aroma. It works for us. As Donna says, YMMV.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
xyz

Trailer: nunya
I don't know if it will fit in the front box, but the Weber Q 1200 is currently on clearance at Target stores for 50% off. You simply need to go to fyndly.com and enter the DPCI (009-07-0483) and your zip code, and check for availability. It's also 8500 BTU, but the reviews are pretty fantastic on it.

I'm waiting until the next Target clearance price drop on this one to see if I can get it for 70% off, and we'll be using it on all our Escape adventures. However, we will be storing it in the bed of our truck. Amazon says it's 20.5 x 40.9 x 24.6 inches, but I don't know if that's in the packaging or by itself. How wide is the front box on the Escapes?
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
.......we will be storing it in the bed of our truck.
Well, I'm on my second Weber Q. I stored the first one in the bed of the truck, where it turned out to be relatively easy for some low life in Kentucky to decide it was OK to walk off with it. Makes me wish I had swabbed the grates with rat poison.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Well, I'm on my second Weber Q. I stored the first one in the bed of the truck, where it turned out to be relatively easy for some low life in Kentucky to decide it was OK to walk off with it. Makes me wish I had swabbed the grates with rat poison.
Aww, that sucks. We have a Tonno Pro vinyl trifold installed, but that wouldn't keep someone from knifing it open. Hopefully it won't come to that!
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Reminds me of having oversight for the city garden plots we rented to citizens. After one gardener continually lost green bell peppers, he hung used insulin syringes on some plants with signs that said " I have injected poison into some of these peppers. I know which ones. Do you? " I'm not sure if worked but it made them think. Unfortunately these low life cretins are often unable to read. We don't leave much out and lock up the rest. Especially in remote areas where we leave for the day.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #7

We have the older Weber Q120. The reference to 40 inches wide I'm sure refers to the side trays when folded out. I am still using the box it came in for transport but will go to a tub before next spring. We've hauled it in the Escape 19 and in the back of the Highlander, it will not fit in the front box the way I have it loaded, especially with dual 6 volts etc. but we reLly like it, especially the temperature gauge, and I cook with a thermometer most of the time. Did twelve brats on it at once at Osoyoos, good results. Baked a quiche at Townsend. Ok but not great but was all gone after pot luck breakfast.
Dave
Old 08-29-2015, 10:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
After one gardener continually lost green bell peppers,
Dave
I don't know of any raccoons that can read.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:12 PM   #9

Why did the chicken cross the road?
To show the raccoon and the armadillo it could be done
Old 08-30-2015, 08:42 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19
I use coleman fold-n-go. It fits fine in box on one side. It is easy to use. However it is small so not for 'cooking for the thrashers'!

It does clean up easily, and you can get optional griddle or stove top.

Uses small coleman throwaway tanks, though I am sure some here could tell us how to connect to our propane tanks!

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:23 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
We use the O grill, 10,500btu, the legs fold in for transport 22"x23"x12" We carry it in the TV or in the TT. It uses the 1 lb canisters which work out fine, b/c saves use on our 1 20lb propane tank. We never used a full 1lb container on any of our 5 day trips yet, but we do not use it on all three meals. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Since everyone has the front box, I was wondering if those that have the two six volt batteries think it would be better or possible to have the batteries in a battery box inside of the storage box. We are getting a 19 with two six volt batteries and I will probably be checking specific gravity frequently and I don't like the idea of batteries not being in a battery box. Sulfuric acid even in small quantities is something I like to keep contained, any thoughts on this?
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
You probably ought to have ETI put them in boxes, if you're going to go that route, rather than waiting to do it yourself later. The wiring is kind of tight, and would be problematic at a later date. Not impossible, just a PITA.

I personally have no problem NOT having them in boxes. I modified the hold-down mechanism to eliminate the wing nuts holding the top board down, so now have a smooth surface.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Since everyone has the front box, I was wondering if those that have the two six volt batteries think it would be better or possible to have the batteries in a battery box inside of the storage box. We are getting a 19 with two six volt batteries and I will probably be checking specific gravity frequently and I don't like the idea of batteries not being in a battery box. Sulfuric acid even in small quantities is something I like to keep contained, any thoughts on this?
Our batteries were in the front box but I thought ETI has moved them. They were no problem in the front box. Our 21' has the batteries under the back and side benches. They are contained in a big box that has putty to keep it together and a bar holding it. There is a vent hose going out the side of the trailer. The problem to us is that we do not think we can get to all of the cells, or at least not without a lot of trouble. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Having the front storage box I can say that it is asymmetrical to the point that it would at least raise the height of the batteries being in a container, and possible just not feasible.

We do put our Weber Go Anywhere up there along with the chimney starter. Thought I found a gas grill to fit there in the Camp Chef MVP, however it was a little tight and would have had to grind off the front handle. Got a bag, rides in the back of the TV. Taking the charcoal bbq along next trip, cause you're right Greggo- gotta have high heat for 'dem steaks!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I just checked and a Weber Q1000 will NOT fit in the front storage box. Having said that, we have been carrying ours in the rear of our Jeep Grand Cherokee and have never noticed any odor. I always burn it for 5 minutes after I finish grilling then use a brush to clean off any residue left on the grate. The front storage box takes all of the stuff we used to put in the rear of the Jeep so there is plenty of room for the Q.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:09 AM   #17

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
My weber rides in my highlander with a cover no smell rides with my campfire in a can
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote