Proven Industries Trailer Coupler Lock - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2018, 07:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 17b
Proven Industries Trailer Coupler Lock

Good day!

I recently purchased the new version of the 2178-A model to fit my 17B. The new version is a square design as opposed to the cylindrical one shown on the website. The design change was to accommodate the locking of the safety chains as well. (According to the website)

Upfront, it is a solid product. It weighs in at 17 lbs. both pieces are fabricated from 1/4” thick steel.. There was no manual provided or an updated video on their website, so I am guessing that the safety chains are supposed to hook on to the 2 tangs bent at a 45 degree angle inside the shell piece..

The initial difficulty with this design is now the chains have to come up and around into the shell as opposed to fastening to the stationary piece underneath.

Once fit and locked , the chains easily fall out. It’s almost as if the tangs aren’t bent far enough down to secure the chains against the coupler itself. Are they assuming I am using a larger snap hook style fastener? Maybe...

It was too late in the day to contact Proven. I will try tomorrow.

In the meantime - Thoughts?

-Rob
Attached Thumbnails
0DA85D13-B167-4E31-8FCA-3375143CA026.jpg   3CE84D17-6F82-4975-88AE-E800AA5B4D54.jpg   E84D6490-2D10-45B5-9EC3-46C1C64F140F.jpg   9EA3A10A-3E76-45BC-BC40-A2FA426F0DAD.jpg  
Rob3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:28 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Looks like design engineer does not own a trailer; people who steal trailers bring their own chains and locks to wrap around the A- frame of the trailer and secure same to their hitch to haul away the trailer.

Theirs are cut to length to make the theft quick and easy. Better to keep your insurance up-to-date.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Looks like design engineer does not own a trailer; people who steal trailers bring their own chains and locks to wrap around the A- frame of the trailer and secure same to their hitch to haul away the trailer.

Theirs are cut to length to make the theft quick and easy. Better to keep your insurance up-to-date.
Gotta agree with Charlie here. If thieves really want it, a hitch lock is not going to stop them. While it is fine to guard against theft, good insurance is the ultimate saviour of your investment.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Our strategy is to obtain a wheel lock that also protects at least one lug nut from being removed. Thieves would have to haul the trailer onto a flatbed to steal. Possible but unlikely.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Our strategy is to obtain a wheel lock that also protects at least one lug nut from being removed. Thieves would have to haul the trailer onto a flatbed to steal. Possible but unlikely.
My neighbor’s small Ford tractor was stolen
The wheels were chained to the axle
The thieves ( according to the sheriff. ) drove up with a flatbed truck , hooked up their winch and dragged the tractor onto the truck ( You could see the skid marks in the driveway and on the road .)
I rely on insurance since their is no fool proof way to stop a determined thief .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for the responses!

Absolutely agreed if they want it, they’ll get it. I purchased it more for its deterrent value as opposed to ultimate protection. Which is near impossible. That’s why a good insurance policy is a must.

I’m just disappointed in the engineering of the product. I expected more for the $235 USD I paid.

Hopefully I’ll save someone else the trouble!

-Rob
Old 10-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thanks........
Old 10-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
GPS device hidden in the trailer is another strategy to consider.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My neighbor’s small Ford tractor was stolen
The wheels were chained to the axle
The thieves ( according to the sheriff. ) drove up with a flatbed truck , hooked up their winch and dragged the tractor onto the truck ( You could see the skid marks in the driveway and on the road .)
I rely on insurance since their is no fool proof way to stop a determined thief .
While this is probably very rare we had a large van at our hunting club stolen the same way. You could see the drag marks in the dirt where it was winched up onto a flatbed. Our mistake for leaving it there in the off-season unattended. Gave them plenty of time to plan/execute and they knew no one would be around.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 19’ Reversed Floor Plan
Pleased that I purchased & received the old style round version 2178-A just 4 weeks ago. Perhaps they will exchange yours for the old style.
RB Donath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:42 PM   #11

Good to know the Round model works. I plan on contacting them Monday. I’m sure I can’t be the only one with this issue...
Old 10-06-2018, 11:45 PM   #12

Be aware the Round Model will not fit chains, but is a good secure design.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB Donath View Post
Be aware the Round Model will not fit chains, but is a good secure design.
We have the round model and I plan on removing my chairs so as to only be vulnerable to the really prepared thief. I think good insurance and the GPS methods are a good way to go.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #14

Update - Just returned from Orientation on our new 19’RFP. Turns out when I opened the Proven Industries Box, sure enough it was the new Square Style. The chains on our 19’ have large hooks, which snapped onto the Wings inside the outer lock box. With the new style everything (including chains) fit properly- snug & secure - as designed. Only drawback is the weight - but only planning on using this lock for storage.