RAD power bike - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
RAD power bike

Just bought the RAD power bike! I bought the mini folding style. So much fun can pedal normally, do pedal assist , or full power. Folds fairly easily a bit heavy 50-60 pounds. It has the fat tires. Good price when compared to other electric bikes.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I've been looking at those. They seem great.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
ooooh my Hot Rod handle is Ma Rad
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #4

How are you liking your bike? I've ridden one now but didn't like the short wheelbase. I'm looking to find a step-through frame, too, even the low standover height of the Rad mini is a bit tricky. But absolutely love how it handles different terrains like gravel, and how it performs on hills.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #5

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
My preference for a small electric bike

I'm going to tout my nephews company for electric bikes. My wife and I have the small folding style "Stow".

https://voltonbicycles.com/
Old 09-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Just bought the RAD power bike! I bought the mini folding style. So much fun can pedal normally, do pedal assist , or full power. Folds fairly easily a bit heavy 50-60 pounds. It has the fat tires. Good price when compared to other electric bikes.
I bought the Rad Rover in white, full fenders, rear rack and now panniers. The fat tires should be good in sand or (yikes!) snow. My thoughts were to use it to fetch water, groceries, laundry and or propane. Its been great to cruise around camp grounds and explore. Lots of people are interested in them so is a good conversation starter.

My bike rides on a 1 Up rack on the rear trailer hitch. When I was shopping for my bike, I rejected the mini fold up bike in favor for the full size Rover. Although, I'm not unhappy with my purchase, being able to fold up the bike and store under a truck canopy for greater security and protection from the weather is very attractive. Something to think about.

Good Choice Kate!

Tom
Old 09-03-2017, 04:02 AM   #7

Yes still loving mine need to get some of the extras panniers and fenders. Got new fat wheel holder things for my bike rack now it fits on my rear bike rack. I got the folding bike because I'm short and the folding mini was the only one small enough to fit me congratulations on your new bike!
Old 09-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #8

I'm waiting for a RAD step-through frame. It won't be on the folding one, though that has a lower step-over height. Still too high for me. But a friend just bought a house up a very steep hill from me and using pedal power at level 5 assist makes it easy to ride up there! So it's on my list by the time she moves permanently in two years. I don't think I'd take it camping, though. Maybe if I had a motorhome and didn't want to unhitch. And not sure the RAD one will have wide enough tires so I may be going for something else. Looking at the more expensive Elux Tahoe. We don't have sidewalks on our road or paved shoulders on our main road, and I need to be able to safely pull into a driveway which could be gravel or dirt if something is coming.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #9

Rad bikes is having a Cyber Monday sale- $200 off the mini (folding). I like these bikes. Still hoping for a step-through model, though.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2011 19'
Dian and I have had our bikes for almost a year now. They are great. We hauled them up the Alaska Highway to Watson Lake and back down the Cassiar Hwy. this fall. See them here;
Focused on Fauna (and a little flora) : Search results for bike
We use the Swagman rack for RV's. It is very robust.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:54 AM   #11

I have the Rad folding mini with fat tires I bought fat tire attachments for my bike rack works great not sure what bike rack I have maybe a swagman. I tilt it way down to get on it I'm very short
Old 11-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #12

I have to tilt it, too, but I'm thinking ahead a few years to where that might get more difficult, and want a true step-through frame. I'm not thinking so much of trailer-travel use, though, I want it for use locally since I live at the bottom of a very steep hill (can make it up pedaling on the highest power!) so folding is not the issue.

They are all heavier than regular bikes, of course.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Anyone have a link to Rad power bike ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Anyone have a link to Rad power bike ? Pat
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/
Old 11-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Fat Tires

I see the tires are intended for those who ride in sand, mud, or snow. Do the folks with the tires actually ride in those conditions or is there another time they are worth while? they look even harder to peddle then my Mt bike tires.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #16

i use it on the street or bike paths gravel paths etc.. i don't really notice a big change with the fat tires i usually ride a mountain bike so it has kind of fat tires too. yes they are heavy but i use peddle assist if i need it so i don't notice the extra weight when riding it. i like it because i am not very fit so I can bravely take it much farther then i would if pedaling. i feel like i have super strength when i can peddle up steep hills! If you are fit and bike regularly with no issues you might not want or need one but for me it gets me out more.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:11 PM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I was asking more the purpose of the tires as opposed to electric bikes. I will admit, the electric assist has a lot of appeal to me, but then so would electric hikers.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I see the tires are intended for those who ride in sand, mud, or snow. Do the folks with the tires actually ride in those conditions or is there another time they are worth while? they look even harder to peddle then my Mt bike tires.
They are great for our area as there are no shoulders so if forced off the pavement a regular bike could go down. The fat tires will handle even loose gravel at a good clip so you can leave the pavement without worries. Haven't tried actual sand since ours is salt water and probably not good for the rest of the bike. Haven't tried snow but I think they could handle both. Not hard to pedal even without assist on our macadam road (until you get to the hills.)
Old 11-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Thankyou Robert ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I was asking more the purpose of the tires as opposed to electric bikes. I will admit, the electric assist has a lot of appeal to me, but then so would electric hikers.
I find the fat tires are lot more comfortable to ride on than the skinny tires. As advertised, they go into terrain that other tires can't. I wouldn't want to pedal very far with them though, without electric assist. (I am not sure what an electric hiker is.)

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote