Samsung "Smart Things" - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #1

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Samsung "Smart Things"

So we are coming into the home stretch and will both be retired "soon-ish" and are thinking about more extended trips with our Escape. While on the road, we would like to be able to know if the homestead is still ok. We are on good terms with the neighbors, can get someone to mow, can stop mail, etc. However, we are contemplating investing in some "smart" home technology like this: https://www.smartthings.com/

You buy a hub that connects to your home wi-fi and the internet "cloud". You then add wireless sensors of all types (flood, temperature), home thermostats, cameras, lights, etc. You can then set up "if-this-then-that" rules to turn on a light if a motion sensor goes off, etc.

We are not looking for a security system or any solution that requires a monthly fee. Just a solution that would alert us to something amiss via a phone app so we can ask a friend or neighbor to take a closer look.

Anyone have good / bad / ugly experiences with Samsung or other similar systems? BTW: I would prefer not purchasing anything within the Apple ecosystem.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have a smart thermostat that I can control HVAC from anywhere via phone and several smart lights that can be set automatically or manually on/off via your phone. My security system is hard wired and monitored by a company, much better than sending a neighbor. I contact them when away and they disperse police within 45 seconds of the alarm activation.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I use the "SmartThings" hub and Kwikset Internet locks through the hub on my VRBO property that is about 4 hours away. It has worked fantastic and lets me know when it is unlocked etc and by whom. I can build codes for guests or maintenance people remotely and burn the codes after their use.
SmartThings has quite a few apps available that work very well for no charge, but I did have to purchase the lock app in order to be robust enough to manage the locks on my property.
I've used it to control lights etc. and I would give it a high rating on what you can do with it and how well it works.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
This is now three years old, so hopefully Samsung has fixed things by now:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasb...lnerabilities/

It does serve to illustrate that getting security right is hard, and somewhere between many and most companies get it wrong, because it’s not only hard, but expensive, to get it right. Sadly, the bottom line decides such things all too often, which is especially easy to do when the customer base is not technically savvy enough to tell the difference between slip-shod and robust security.

Unfortunately, the more complicated a system becomes, the harder it is to secure, and the more numerous the vulnerabilities. It’s really hard for a punk kid in Romania with a laptop to hack into your house if it’s locked with a non-electronic, hard-key lockset.

Caveat emptor.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #5

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Thanks for the replies. I did read about some security vulnerabilities as far as this system. I've also read about not relying on the internet and cloud services if you want a true security system. I believe those type of very robust systems still use hard-wired phone line connections (i.e., ADT and the like).

I think we will give it a try since we are not looking for a full blown home security system. The Midwest is pretty waterlogged right now and I just want to know if my sump pump overflowed
Old 06-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
If all you need is sump pump information, a simple webcam will do the job. I use one to keep track of a boat about 4 hours from home. Works a treat and allows me to check electrics and humidity from anywhere with internet.

It has paid for itself many time over in fewer trips to the boat.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
This is now three years old, so hopefully Samsung has fixed things by now:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasb...lnerabilities/

It does serve to illustrate that getting security right is hard, and somewhere between many and most companies get it wrong, because it’s not only hard, but expensive, to get it right. Sadly, the bottom line decides such things all too often, which is especially easy to do when the customer base is not technically savvy enough to tell the difference between slip-shod and robust security.

Unfortunately, the more complicated a system becomes, the harder it is to secure, and the more numerous the vulnerabilities. It’s really hard for a punk kid in Romania with a laptop to hack into your house if it’s locked with a non-electronic, hard-key lockset.

Caveat emptor.
Unfortunately, Samsung's probably better than average as far as security goes too. At least, better than a lot of the no-name and relabeled knockoffs. Amazon, Google, and Apple are probably at the top, but the whole Internet Of Things is pretty bad. "IoT: the S stands for Security"
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We use Nest thermostats and cameras and are pretty happy with that system. We have two factor authentication turned on to enhance security.

However our best security is our neighbor, a retired Navy Submariner. He does two circuits around our house daily checking the doors, windows, feeds our chickens, etc. Says it reminds him of patrol. Ironically, we didn’t realize how thorough he was until we installed the Nest Cameras!

The only payment he accepts are the eggs layed by our chickens while we are away. Great neighbors are the best!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Arnie,
What do those chickens lace those eggs with? I may want i order some.
Darn, you caught it...
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote