Sirius / XM -- how do you like it? - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #141

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
And those items in Canada add up to even more. It still staggers me when I see what they add up to in a year.

So far my test use of the "free" Sirius has gone OK except that quite close to my house where I'm close to a hill and overhanging trees it looses the satellite. Doesn't last long till it gets the signal again but how common is that?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #142

Trailer: 2017 19'
Back in 2008 when we were traveling the north, our XM radio stopped working somewhere around northern BC/southern Yukon, when we were in Tuk our guide told us the story of how during the previous winter XM told him it will work where he is, but when he finally got his radio on the boat in spring time it never worked for him, and now he was in the process of returning the unit..

when I bought my little Jeep it came with one years of free service and every time I go under the underpass it lose satellite signals.. so I stopped using it. We kept service in our tow vehicle for traffic information..
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #143

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I'm not recommending this behavior to others, I just wanted to point out the sneakiness of subscription fees. They suck up a lot of money over time.
There is no doubt that these various fees add up. I have been working to eliminate many of them in the last year or so. Business wise I have reduced monthly fees by over $1k/month, and personally a few hundred. Still a few more to deal with.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #144

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
Back in 2008 when we were traveling the north, our XM radio stopped working somewhere around northern BC/southern Yukon, when we were in Tuk our guide told us the story of how during the previous winter XM told him it will work where he is, but when he finally got his radio on the boat in spring time it never worked for him, and now he was in the process of returning the unit..
XM always would have been marginal that far north. Sirius would have been good back then, due to the Tundra orbits used by the original three Sirius satellites, but since then even Sirius has switched to satellites with geostationary orbits, so I wouldn't expect any of these satellite radio services to work up there now.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #145

Trailer: 2018 5.0
We love it the reception is great as is the variety. For news junkies its the best and when I can't handle the politics I can listen to any type of music that I want.
kfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #146

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Sirius would have been good back then, due to the Tundra orbits used by the original three Sirius satellites
What is a Tundra orbit? Is that the same as a Molniya orbit-- an elliptical orbit with a high inclination so that the satellite spends most of its time over high latitudes?

Also, at what latitude on the ground does a geostationary satellite become useless for broadcast?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:07 AM   #147

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
What is a Tundra orbit? Is that the same as a Molniya orbit-- an elliptical orbit with a high inclination so that the satellite spends most of its time over high latitudes?
It's closely related, with the Tundra better to serve a single area. There's a decent Stackexchange discussion of the difference.

Quote:
Also, at what latitude on the ground does a geostationary satellite become useless for broadcast?
It depends on the satellite power, ground antenna size, and ground antenna type. These audio services use omnidirectional antennas that generally look up so they don't work very well when the satellite is anywhere near the horizon or when the signal is weak; XM/Sirius will have trouble in the north while a service using a directional antenna (DBS TV, or MSAT phone/data) sitting right beside will work fine. Just at a guess, the 60th parallel (boundary between the western provinces and northern territories) might be a rough limit to expect usable service; Sirius XM claims a little further north in their coverage map, but that's a best-case estimate.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote