Snow bird home monitoring - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2016, 10:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
Snow bird home monitoring

Okay, for all our snow birding southern neighbors in Canada and the northern "outside" US states. Does anyone do any type home monitoring for freeze type damage?

We still have three, four years to go until our snow birding starts. The plan now is, summers and fall in Alaska and winters and spring in Washington and all points East and South. We have a boiler with hot water base board. I can't see draining the system and letting the interior get down to -20 F during a cold snap. I do have two daughters, (that owe me big time) living up here to call a plumber, heating company if need be.

My question is this. Does anyone have any real world experience with a good wireless, remote "frost/heat off, leak" alarm? Over the years we have done many month, month and half trips and haven't worried to much about it. With being gone six months at time I know I will worry. Thanks, Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!

Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I use the Nest thermostat where you can go on line and monitor the heat as well as operate it from your smartphone. In addition you can also get the related smoke/fire detector and monitor it also. It will send you messages in case of trouble and turn off the HVAC system in case of fire.
See here https://store.nest.com/product/therm...paign=nestlabs

Old 02-21-2016, 11:13 PM   #3
Site Team

There is also a water monitoring system that will shut off the water in case of a leak, but it is not internet connected. I have a whole house radiant system with in floor/ceiling water pipes, one leak would be a disaster.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is also a water monitoring system that will shut off the water in case of a leak, but it is not internet connected. I have a whole house radiant system with in floor/ceiling water pipes, one leak would be a disaster.
Jim, I've seen the Nest system at Home Depot, have you had a good experience with it? Looked at the Nest site but did not see a water shut off system. Having a fail safe to turn off the water for the heating system would be a major blessing. By the way, Happy belated birthday. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
You'll want to read this before investing in the Nest system.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/14/fa...eeze.html?_r=0

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012 15A
You should also check with your insurance company about the requirements for a vacant house to keep your insurance valid. News articles have told stories about people who were away from their home in winter and had water damage - insurance not valid. You need to have someone inspect the home on a regular basis. I have heard that some insurance companies require daily monitoring of the home while you are away.
Just saying??
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Jim, I've seen the Nest system at Home Depot, have you had a good experience with it? Looked at the Nest site but did not see a water shut off system. Having a fail safe to turn off the water for the heating system would be a major blessing. By the way, Happy belated birthday. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
Sorry for the confusion, that is why I posted a second comment. the Nest Thermostat and Smoke alarm work flawlessly, in fact the smoke does a monthly check and sends you a text. I have one of the early thermostats, maybe 4 years now, no issues.

The water system is separate and not affiliated with Nest. It is electrical with battery back up. If interested send me a p/m for details on it. The Nest info is available on line.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Go over to rv.net and ask the same question in the snowbird forum, better yet just do a search. Many folks use many types of monitoring systems, I've read no complaints about any of them, requardless of price. I was going to go with one of the land line based DIY units but the neighbors volunteered, I also turned off the water.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:01 AM   #9
Site Team

My heat needs water source so that is not an option. Most radiator type needs refill source, in fact mine has a low water cut off.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Very useful thread

Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote