Suggestions for rain apparel anyone? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Suggestions for rain apparel anyone?

I guess the good thing about living in (formerly) drought stricken California is that hiking in the rain is easily avoided. When we travel of course that will not be the case. We do have good gortex boots as well as jackets and pants for hiking in moderate rain.

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for ponchos or some kind of overcoat for when it's seriously raining and you have to be out in it. I'm thinking either because you're getting cabin fever or maybe you're arriving/departing your campsite and have to be out while setting up.

I've looked at the ponchos on Amazon and they seem rather flimsy and possibly useless in wind driven rain. But maybe I'm wrong on that? If you have a suggestion, please let me know, and thank you in advance!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I got one of these back in 2014 and LOVE it! I got it larger than normal so it covers my fingers and then some, plus I can wear it over coats and such if it gets cold. I got it mainly to use when vending in crummy weather and having to haul stuff in and out to the venue and my vehicle. I'm tall (5'10") and it's plenty long for me as it covers me almost to my ankles. Someone much shorter than me would need to take it up or look at something else. I looked long and hard at various coats before I settled on this one and am very glad that I did. I got bright yellow so you can't miss me wandering around in the rain.

Due to getting a larger than usual size, the hood is super huge and rather a pain to use. I've put my Aussie rainhat over the hood and that worked really well.

I've worn it in drenching Seattle rain and it's the only coat I've ever worn that's gotten so many compliments, esp from those that have to go outside, such as grocery baggers and traffic flaggers! One time I took the bus to an RV convention in downtown Seattle and both days it was pouring rain. Even while standing in the rain waiting for the bus and walking to the show, I still stayed very dry. Once inside the hall, I was able to wad the coat into a built-in pocket area that has straps so I could wear it like a backpack if I wanted to. And I didn't get water on anything else when it was all wadded up.

Yeah, I love this coat! I'm taking it with me on Saturday when I'm walking in the rain in downtown Seattle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Look up Frogg Togg. Good Stuff.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
So many styles to pick from...

I have a Marmot with pit zips and an oversized hold for general use and another similar that folds into its own pocket for taking along hiking when it might rain. Also have a cheap disposable poncho for hiking that stays in the pack in case I don't think the 2nd one mentioned is needed but find out differently. I have 1 pair of rain pants that roll up into their own pocket too, nothing fancy as they get little use.

I've found the frog toggs very noisy, there may be other models though.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Yeah, I love this coat! I'm taking it with me on Saturday when I'm walking in the rain in downtown Seattle
Thanks Laura - that looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Coincidentally I'll be walking in the rain in downtown Sacramento Saturday morning!
Old 01-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
For working in the rain, when standing about, a large overcoat type is fine. If you are planning to be hiking, you want something much lighter and easier to move around it. Gortex stuff is fine for short term use, but not sustained rain. Ponchos are good from the point of view that they give good freedom of movement while providing good overall coverage. Like the overcoat style, you can still fill your boots with water, and if windy ponchos are terrible.

My preference is a good 100% waterproof raincoat and pants. This will provide you with great rain protection, and mobility will be great too. Lots of good stuff out there from all the outdoor manufacturers from Helly Hansen, Marmot, North Face, etc. And do remember, if there is need to put a jacket on, do slip the pants on too. I know this well, as many a time I don't and end up with soaked legs. Those cheaper lightweight ones are good to have around as a backup, easy to don if needed tearing down or setting up camp, store in small pack, and if they get wrecked after a few years, just get another one.

Another advantage of a good two piece rainsuit shell, is that it takes up very little room when stowed, an advantge in our relatively smaller trailers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:

Yeah, I love this coat! I'm taking it with me on Saturday when I'm walking in the rain in downtown Seattle.
Bite your tongue! It's not going to rain. (I'll be walking in it in B'ham.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There is a whole ferry full of folks heading to Seattle from Bremerton Saturday including my wife. (I have a prior commitment in Pt. Townsend) Stay dry!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm walking in Portland, Oregon on Saturday. I have my "hat," and I'm walking with two other gals that own all-molded-towables. Be safe!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Cabela's sell some nice Gore-Tek rain gear in both men and woman's sizes . I do have a Columbia rain coat and pants which I use when fishing / hunting in the early Spring & Fall but I find them to warm most of the time especially if your doing something active.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #11

Lots of good advice in this thread. Interesting though about Gortex not being good for sustained rain. So what do you do for your feet then? I can't wear flat rubber boots for hiking as I have foot issues.

We want on an REI hike lately (in the rain) where they had us wear gaiters over our rain pants. I've done that for cross country skiing before, but never hiking in the rain! They had us take so much gear i think it was partly a ploy to get us to buy more stuff
Old 01-19-2017, 10:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Coincidentally I'm going for a walk Saturday in downtown Spokane - but warmly dressed in my winter jacket.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When Gor-Tex gets dirty, it loses it's ability to shed rain and soaks it up. Learned that years ago. Maybe they have improved it.
When I worked as a news photographer, I would spend eight hours standing around in the Vancouver rain, outside a courthouse, wait for the perp.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
A good umbrella and neoprene Boggs boots. The umbrella is great for keeping you dry and giving you a false sense of security for use as a spear against bears or as a club when you run into a angry moose. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat Bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #15

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Coincidentally I'm going for a walk Saturday in downtown Spokane - but warmly dressed in my winter jacket.
Yeah, you guys have been getting a lot of snow! Hopefully the roads will be clear and not icy.

I won't get to wear my raincoat again tomorrow as I'm just too sick for a walk outside, much to my huge disappointment.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Lots of good advice in this thread. Interesting though about Gortex not being good for sustained rain. So what do you do for your feet then? I can't wear flat rubber boots for hiking as I have foot issues.

We want on an REI hike lately (in the rain) where they had us wear gaiters over our rain pants. I've done that for cross country skiing before, but never hiking in the rain! They had us take so much gear i think it was partly a ploy to get us to buy more stuff
I walk my dog for 2 hours each morning rain or shine. I live on Vancouver island so its a walk in the rain frequently, sometimes heavy rain. I use a 3 layer Gore-Tex shell in the winter and a Gore-Tex lite shell in the summer with Gore-Tex pants and hikers. Never had water penetrate the shell or pants, the only weak spot is the top of the laced area of the hikers where the water runs off the pants. Gore-Tex is a great product but needs to be looked after, otherwise the outer face fabric will absorb water but not penetrate the Gore-Tex membrane .
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Rain cover

I am a poncho and tall rubber boots man myself. This is if I know I'm going to be out in it for an extended period of time. We used to get good military surplus ponchos for the adults and scouts from an " army / navy surplus store. Sometimes you see these at gun shows too. For boots I use Lacrosse burlys. Bean boots are ok but not much support for walking. I always preach that "it ain't no style show out there"
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
If you want a waterproof jacket or pant you can be active in and not sweat in the best products are made out of 3 layer goretex materials such as Goretex Pro. These types of jackets are expensive but are worth it if you are in heavy precipitation for several hours. Less expensive products wet out over time in heavy rain and retain heat. A highly regarded jacket is Arcteryx Alpha SV Jacket. Other manufacturers also use Goretex Pro and are worth looking at. A much less costly good jacket but wets out when in heavy rain and does not breath as well as Goretex Pro jackets is Marmot Precip. Search Outdoor Gear Lab website for hard shells.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:24 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
In preparation for a trip to Olympic National Park several years ago I bought a Gore-tex rain suit, pants and jacket. It kept me dry as I was photographing the rain forest. I keep it in the trailer when I'm traveling. The rain suit was expensive, though, as I recall.

There was an optional liner for the jacket that I did not purchase, and I regret it now.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote