Superzoom/Bridge Cameras - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #101

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
re: "...so I tell them the facts..... and, hang on to the OM1"

f/8 and beer there.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #102

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
When I was deciding what to do with my last OM1, I gave it to my niece, as the one I still had had been my dad's. She said the camera meant a lot to her as she remembers her grandpa with it almost always. It was "worth" far more that way then whatever it would sell for.

My dad constantly traded at the local camera store for various equipment and always had some new gadget to play with. As a machinist he loved camera equipment for their beautiful mechanics, optics and craftsmanship. He even sometimes experimented with making his own lens adapters on his lathe so he could move lenses from one brand to another. Our basement always had a darkroom. He knew most everything about the mechanical systems of camera, the optics, ISO, focal length, f stops, etc - but he was a terrible photographer.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #103

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
...Our basement always had a darkroom. He knew most everything about the mechanical systems of camera, the optics, ISO, focal length, f stops, etc - but he was a terrible photographer.
Great story Thoer, and how true your words are with many things in life, you don't have to be an expert at something to love doing it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #104

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
...I wasn't the official photog - Catchlight was ), and it was great fun. ...
There's the secret to enjoyable wedding photography: no pressure, just fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
He knew most everything about the mechanical systems of camera, the optics, ISO, focal length, f stops, etc - but he was a terrible photographer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #105

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Some advice I read or heard somewhere, that resonates with my photo philosophy as I have aged : "The worst place to go for advice on becoming a better photographer is a camera store, the best place is from an artist or art teacher."

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #106

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
I tend to believe that no single camera can do the complete job. ... The best camera is the one you've got with you.

This comment is exactly what I believe. I am a relatively recent convert to digital, I liked and still like film ... but we all know that the world is moving away from that technology and I do recognize the advantages and benefits of digital.

Over the years I have owned or still own Nikon F2, Mamiya RB67, Linhof Master Technica, not to mention numerous earlier camers and systems ... Carrying large bags of equipment around took the fun out so I decided to go smaller. My current system is a Lumix G3 with; 25mm 1.4; 7-14mm; 14-42mm; 45-200mm; and 100-300mm lenses. The micro 4/3 effectively doubles the focal length of the lens relative to their 35mm counterparts. All 5 lenses, filters and body fit into a single and easy to carry Lowepro bag.

The camera has never disappointed me, it is small, fast, light and provides excellent images. Is it perfect ... no ... but the opening quote covers that "I tend to believe that no single camera can do the complete job"
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:11 AM   #107

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Wow, I had no idea old photographers don't die, they just Escape

I purchased my first bellows camera when I was about 10 and I still have it...as well as a very tired FZ20 that no one wants I'm now shooting an Olympus E-M5 with the stock 12-50 lens though I have a feeling there are other lenses in my future somewhere. I love the size and weather resistance for trekking through the bush.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:22 AM   #108

Took me a while to figure out how to attach a photo. Hard to move from film to digital
Attached Thumbnails
FixFocus6.jpg  
Old 03-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #109

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
Hard to move from film to digital
I agree Dave

I still have my Mamiya RB67 and had until recently a Linholf Master Technica 4X5 but still have 3 Rodenstock lenses. Still love film, too bad no one else does
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #110

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The best thing about film is that there are fewer pictures shot.
The photographer actually has to see, not just spray the scene.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #111

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Quote:
The best thing about film is that there are fewer pictures shot.
The photographer actually has to see, not just spray the scene.
I agree about the restraint and aesthetic discipline that the cost and effort of processing film imposed on photographers, but I sure don't miss trying to keep film away from excessive heat, x-ray scanners, and incompetent labs when traveling.

It's nice that backups are so easy with digital, and that you can post-process, transmit, and display photos online while you travel, as well as after.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #112

There's a lot that I don't miss including bulk loaders, stumbling around in the dark room, and the wallet shock every time the price of silver went up. So, anyone got an old Beseler set up in the Escape shower?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #113

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My darkroom now serves as a pantry.
Cool, dark, dry.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #114

Quote:
My darkroom now serves as a pantry.
Cool, dark, dry.

And probably creepy, what with the red light and all
Old 03-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #115

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
As a retired photographer, I just can't take it up as a hobby.
For 42 years I took pictures for a purpose - for publication. I can't bring myself to shoot just for the heck of it.
I feel your pain. As a retired Two-Way Radio Industry Rep, I barely use my Ham License. It was enough.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #116

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
Don't get me started! Fun to hear everyone's experiences, opinions!

I've been a Nikon SLR guy since my first in 1992. Have more bodies and lenses than I have any excuse for. I got into micro four thirds mirrorless while living abroad (NZ/Oz) and love my Olympus OM-D, but want to trade to a Pen model again because as much as I love optical viewfinders I can live without the added bulk and use the screen, the add on viewfinder is nice option. The Pen models I can put in the pocket of cargo pants or a jacket with a pancake lens. I can carry the camera and a quite complete set of lenses and not notice they are in my small Camelback I carry around. I also have a older Oly 43rds and underwater enclosure I have yet to dive with, it was a bargain on I could not pass up. Water's so cold around here, I haven't gotten dry suit certification yet! And my phone's camera does get plenty of use!

I will geek out on cameras and gear for ages, but as has been said it's really about taking pictures, not obsessing about specs and such. Get a camera that matches your budget and size constraints. Simple can be better. Once you learn the basics of camera operation, focus, shutterspeed and aperture, keeping compostition, shade, light quality, texture/details in mind is more important than having ALL the gear, or small technical details. Depends on how much time and energy you have for the endeavor I guess. There are bad deals and overpriced, so so cameras out there. But most cameras these days are pretty amazing devices, so many great options these days.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #117

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
My wife and I own a fair number of digital cameras. I prefer to use a DSLR (we have five) but for hiking and backcountry skiing, I tend to use a Canon SX-40. The current model is SX-50. It has a viewfinder and works pretty well. I have the adapter which permits using a polarizing filter on the lens.

Roger
rajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #118

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... The best camera to have is the one in your hand...not the one in your glove compartment!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030539.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #119

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Love shooting birds. Horses too. The Boston Globe had gone digital -no longer needed HD long range artillery. Found this ugly fourteen pounder on Ebay for a song, was really beat pool lens: busted diaphragm, cross threaded telescoping hood, horrid scratches, two chips in the front element.

My car is my blind, so all needed was home-boy pendulum mount made from copper pipe, scrap aluminum, wood. Lens is sharpest wide open. No one would touch the built in cross threaded hood -had to fix that myself.
Attached Thumbnails
telemount1.jpg   Res102A.jpg