Superzoom/Bridge Cameras - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
But Nikon is better than Canon!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Yes, a "polarized" filter. It takes out glare off of glaring surfaces allowing the camera to see true colors. I suffer the weight of DSLR equipment just because it allows me to use this filter. It's amazing to see how much it impoves a photograph. Because the filter is adjustable/turns you can add as much polarizing as you like...yes, it's possible to add too much.
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
But Nikon is better than Canon!
They are both good, it all depends on what the flavour of the day is. What it really comes down to is how good the person operating them is.

One of my favourite What The Duck strips.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Canon and Nikon play leap frog. One is better and then the other. One shouldn't forget the others in the business.
Photogs in the news biz used to put gaffer tape over the logo on their cameras so they wouldn't have to get into conversations about which camera is better.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Photogs in the news biz used to put gaffer tape over the logo on their cameras so they wouldn't have to get into conversations about which camera is better.
That's hilarious... Its kind of like car company arguments...

i really enjoy reading this site about taking better pictures http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #26

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
I purchased a Canon SX50 about 3 months ago. The thing is so much fun! Having a crazy long telephoto on the camera at all times makes it really handy for nature shots. A bird at 100 yards is no problem. Macro shots of insects is also easy and they fill the frame. Fun to shoot the sun and moon when they won't fit into the frame. The image stabilization really works for hand held shots. The drawback to all this convenience is that the lens is not very fast. I bought a polarizing filter not knowing that it would use a stop of light. I have not used it yet, but have doubts about the practicality of the combo. The filter cost $120.00 too, so may have been an expensive mistake. Love the camera.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The filter will be nice under low light to make "silky" photos of moving water. Set the camera on aperture priority, choose a small stop (large # such as f: 16 or 22) and, using the filter and a tripod, you can take 2-3 second exposures. Good for moving water. A Neutral Density filter will also work.
Attached Thumbnails
chittenangofalls.jpg  
Old 11-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Russ - I would have bought the SX50 on features and reviews if it only had GPS. (typing is no fun right now as I had trigger finger surgery today and my typing hand looks like this)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0379.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #29

One of the managers at the newspaper I worked at bought a dozen Nikon GPS accessory units for our cameras because he wanted to add geotags on the paper's web site.
It was pointed out to him that we shoot pix at sensitive places from time to time ( like women's shelters, for instance ), and also that having this piece of stuff hanging off the camera strap wasn't particularly helpful.
Last I saw, he had a whole box of them in his office. Maybe he would sell you one?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
I like to capture motion. I bought a set of neutral density filters to extend exposures. Then something odd happened to some of the photographs. For the really long exposures the colors shifted. The pictures looked like they were taken in late fall instead of mid-May. Some even looked like they were taken using infrared film? Anyone know what's up with that?
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The filter will be nice under low light to make "silky" photos of moving water. Set the camera on aperture priority, choose a small stop (large # such as f: 16 or 22) and, using the filter and a tripod, you can take 2-3 second exposures. Good for moving water. A Neutral Density filter will also work.
Nice shot Jon

Old 11-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #32

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
I like to capture motion. I bought a set of neutral density filters to extend exposures. Then something odd happened to some of the photographs. For the really long exposures the colors shifted. The pictures looked like they were taken in late fall instead of mid-May. Some even looked like they were taken using infrared film? Anyone know what's up with that?
Cheap neutral density filters will cause a colour shift especially the 10 stop vari-density ones.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I recently bought an Olympus OM D E-M5 ( no, I don't know why it has so many letters ). It's a mirrorless SLR...
A Single Lens Reflex (SLR) camera needs a mirror, to direct the image to the focusing screen (and subsequently viewfinder) through that same single lens as is used to take the photo (and typically a pentaprism to present the horizontal and inverted image to the user). Without a mirror, it can only have an electronic viewfinder or a screen on the back. This Olympus apparently has an 800x600 resolution electronic viewfinder. You might notice that the linked article refers to mirrorless cameras and SLRs as different types.

The other mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses discussed in the article are more common that this Olympus, and are commonly called Compact System Cameras - they are a system of body and lenses, and compact because they have no optical viewfinder/mirror system (and usually smaller sensors than typical DSLRs). Most don't have the electronic viewfinder.

Compact system camera lenses usually don't have the very wide zoom ratio of the non-interchangeable superzoom cameras, because you change lenses instead. By interchanging lenses you can choose the optimal lens for the shot, but you're juggling hardware instead of the superzoom one-box convenience.

Quote:
Hilarious. I guess they didn't use those branded neck straps, either. But I'm sure they recognized the brand anyway.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
One of my favourite What The Duck strips.

Excellent! I'm showing that one to my wife, the photographer of the family.
A direct link: WTD 95
Old 11-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A Single Lens Reflex (SLR) camera needs a mirror, to direct the image to the focusing screen (and subsequently viewfinder) through that same single lens as is used to take the photo (and typically a pentaprism to present the horizontal and inverted image to the user). Without a mirror, it can only have an electronic viewfinder or a screen on the back. This Olympus apparently has an 800x600 resolution electronic viewfinder. You might notice that the linked article refers to mirrorless cameras and SLRs as different types.

A Reflex camera is a camera that permits the photographer to view the image that will be seen through the lens, and therefore to see exactly what will be captured, contrary to viewfinder cameras where the image could be significantly different from what will be captured. A single-lens reflex camera typically uses a mirror and prism system (hence "reflex", from the mirror's reflection) to accomplish this. The Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera achieves the same result by providing the photographer with a digitally captured image.

Barry

Old 11-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #36

From reviews, I gather the Olympus OM D has the best electronic viewfinder, but it still doesn't compare to the Nikon D4s optical finder I had while working.
I'm finding it particularly difficult to tell if I'm in focus when I'm using the 300mm OM lens and adapter.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #37

Quote:
From reviews, I gather the Olympus OM D has the best electronic viewfinder, but it still doesn't compare to the Nikon D4s optical finder I had while working.
I'm finding it particularly difficult to tell if I'm in focus when I'm using the 300mm OM lens and adapter.
Glenn

You can set the camera up to go to 10x magnification when in manual focus for critical focusing or go to the irritating "beep" to confirm focus. I use mine with my 50-200 f2.8 with no problems.

Kerrisdale had the Olympus reps pre production EM-1 at our photo seminar on the weekend and it's electronic viewfinder is a lot better than the EM-5; apparently it compares with the Canon 1DX full frame SLR.

Barry

Old 11-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #38

I've been trying to shoot a hummingbird on approach to the feeder. I don't want the feeder in the shot. So, with the 300mm and manual focus, I have no alternative but to pre-focus on a spot and hope the bird flies into the zone. So far, I have a lot of near misses.
Those hummers move fast.
Attached Thumbnails
hummer.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #39

Something like this, but a hummer.
Attached Thumbnails
siskin.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #40

Barry and I are essentially saying the same thing: mirrorless is not SLR, and in a mirrorless camera an electronic view replaces the SLR's optical view.

The question is whether or not that is good enough for you. The display on the back of the camera typically has better resolution than the "peephole" electronic viewfinder (EVF), so it may work better for fine focus... especially if the camera has a depth-of-field preview (common in SLRs, but I don't know about mirrorless compact systems or the superzoom non-interchangeable lens cameras).