Superzoom/Bridge Cameras - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #81

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I never leave my home without my big guns.
Name:  camera_lens.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  5.9 KB
Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #82

I tend to believe that no single camera can do the complete job. The big guns are great when you're really serious about your photography, but they're hardly convenient and sometimes convenience wins... The best camera is the one you've got with you.

So my kit consists of 3 camera: the DSLR with all the lenses, a small point-and-shoot for when convenience is paramount, and an underwater camera 'cause I like snorkeling.

For the point-and-shoot, there's still a tremendous range of possibilities, but they're all a compromise in some respect or another. I chose to compromise flexibility in order to get best quality and convenience. That means a small camera that is at the high end in terms of quality, but has limited lens range. Depending on how you value quality vs. pocket room vs. zoom range (vs. low light capabilities, vs. features such as GPS or wireless, vs. ...) you might choose differently.

I've never been particularly happy with the various underwater cameras I've used. I've currently got the Canon D-10. It's ok. Damning with faint praise. I just use this camera for holiday snaps, so I don't want to go the high end route of DSLR with a waterproof housing -- too expensive, too inconvenient.

But the wife asked me about xmas gifts a few days ago, and I just ran across a review of the Nikon 1 AW-1. That looks interesting: a waterproof interchangeable lens camera. Currently there are two waterproof lenses available for it. $800 with one lens, $1000 with both. As I say: interesting... But I'm undecided as to whether or not I'm enough unsatisfied with the D-10 to consider replacing it. And we have no travel plans at the moment that involve water, so at the moment the question is kind of moot.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #83

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Doug - your statement of "The best camera is the one you've got with you." is exactly why I sold all my DSLR equipment and bought the Nikon P520. Most of our photos are taken out on trails when we are hiking, and I more and more convinced myself not to carry along the backpack full of lenses, tripod, and DSLR. I knew that the superzoom was never going to give me the same quality a DSLR, but I'm not a professional photog, and all of our photos are only for our own (and friends we bore with them) enjoyment. We also have a Canon SX280 that I absolutely love.

I was heavily influenced by Ken Rockwell's discussions including: It's Not About Your Camera
and Artist or Technician? Are you creating art, or just buying the tools?

and A $150 versus a $5,000 Camera

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #84

There's no doubt that a good point-and-shoot will satisfy 95% of the photographers out there. And it will satisfy me 95% of the time. But there are times when I'm putting in the effort for the art shot, and for those times I've got the big camera.

Plus, when I don't mind carrying it around, it can generally do a better job of the snapshots -- for example, if I'm in the mood to take photos at a party I can put the f/1.4 50mm on the DSLR and get ambient light shots that the point-and-shoot just can't match.

But, yeah, if you're not serious about the photographs, if you're just using them for memories and show-and-tell, then a point-and-shoot is probably the way to go.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #85

Despite loving my DSLR and multiple lenses I am amazed at what an iPhone camera can capture these days (in good light).
Old 12-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #86

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
Despite loving my DSLR and multiple lenses I am amazed at what an iPhone camera can capture these days (in good light).
Even has it own name now, iPhoneography with several sites of artist posting their work with them.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #87

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
But the wife asked me about xmas gifts a few days ago, and I just ran across a review of the Nikon 1 AW-1. That looks interesting: a waterproof interchangeable lens camera.
Nikon 1 AW1
This looks like it is effectively a current-technology successor to the classic Nikonos RS of the 1990's. Yes, very interesting.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
iPhoneography
I find it interesting that Apple gets the credit again for something that - again - they neither invented nor do particularly well.

Yes, a camera that is always with you and is able to send your photos somewhere certainly enables more (although usually not better) photography.

I have a BlackBerry. It takes surprisingly decent photos - stuck at an overly wide focal length of course - and because I have it with me I use it. Yep, it's useful.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #89

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Telephones are not cameras. They are telephones that can take a swell snapshot. A shirt pocket point and shooter is on the same level, be they 8mg or 18mg. Great for "snapshots". (Defined by me as grabbable-on-the-fly, Marty.) Truly, it is very nice that digital point and shoot snappers can produce one hell of an amazing sharp image. I have one I like a lot and on occasion do get lucky using it. But... still not "a camera."

A "camera" is an artist's brush... not hog's hairs, pure sable.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #90

hmmm... I've got a couple of nits to pick with your post, Myron...

First, some shirt pocket point-and-shoot cameras are quite good. My go-anywhere camera is a Canon S-120 (Canon S120 review - Digital Camera - Trusted Reviews). Very good picture quality. Yeah, it's not up to a full frame DSLR, but then a full frame DSLR isn't up to a medium format body. Where do you draw the line? The S-120 can definitely be used for art as well as for snapshots.

Second, I think the artist's brush is whatever the artist uses. You can create art with whatever you have in hand. Yes, the tool restricts what you can accomplish. A crappy point-and-shoot doesn't have near the range as a higher end camera. But give an artist any tool, and they'll still create art. (Once they learn the tool, at least...)

I actually think the quality of the camera can mean more for the snapshooter than for the artist. A good artist will create something good regardless of the tools used. But the quality of the tool makes a world of difference to the amateur.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #91

Light and composition are the true essence of photography.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #92

You are right, Doug. I actually agree with everything you just said, and think I even have a couple pictures to back it up. No question today's digital equipment has erased many barriers, many sins, technology has made ordinary shooters into extraordinary ones. In the end, all you need now is the "eye." My point was when I am on the hunt, my first choice is to reach for the camera with a viewfinder, not a screen, and controls I am in control of. That's what defines the word camera.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
My point was when I am on the hunt, my first choice is to reach for the camera with a viewfinder, not a screen, and controls I am in control of. That's what defines the word camera.
That's like me saying:
Quote:
My first choice is to reach for the car with a manual transmission and knobs for the minor controls, not an automatic and not a touchscreen, and systems I am in control of - no ABS, traction control, or stability program. That's what defines the word car.
The first sentence is an expression of a valid personal preference. No offense, but the second sentence is nonsensical and insulting to those with other preferences without a qualifier of some sort. In my example it would need to be something like "sports car"; in the case of the camera it might be "serious camera".

Few people actually want to live with a sports car... or a "serious" camera.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #94

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Let's not get negative.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #95

Ah, don't feel insulted. One man's camera is another's telephone.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #96

As a retired photographer, I just can't take it up as a hobby.
For 42 years I took pictures for a purpose - for publication. I can't bring myself to shoot just for the heck of it.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #97

I got totally addicted in high school -116 folding camera with 4 f/stops, first enlarger in a dark corner under the cellar steps, yearbook photographer, Speed Graphic, etc etc., but when the time came to plan a career I balked and chose a different path ---yet, always kept that cherished dream of one day working for National Geographic. Ah well.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #98

When I was 18 I shipped off some pix to a columnist at Camera 35 magazine. He typed a two page reply that, in part, pointed out that 20 per cent of photographers make 80 per cent of the money and 80 per cent of photographers make 20 per cent of the money. He advised me to find another profession, and he returned my photos.
My response was to pursue a career in news photography that won me some awards and lasted 45 years.
I remember that when I'm asked for advice by aspiring photographers. And, it's even harder to succeed now when every fire, riot and murder is covered by a dozen cell phones submitting their photos for free.
So, I tell them the facts, and tell them to go for it if they really want it.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #99

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Let's not get negative.
Hi: gbaglo... "Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder".
Since getting my Panasonic DMC-TZ1 I haven't touched my Olympus OM1. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #100

I've played with my Leica M4, loaded with Tri-X.
Shot a friend's son's wedding ( I wasn't the official photog - Catchlight was ), and it was great fun. One fixed lens ( 35mm ), a light meter and a few rolls of film.
So hang on to the OM1 ( besides, its' only worth about $30 in trade ).
Attached Thumbnails
AD LONG 3B.jpg