Superzoom/Bridge Cameras - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Superzoom/Bridge Cameras

(I think this is the best place for this thread - mods feel free to move or delete it if it shouldn't be here. I know this should probably go on a camera web forum somewhere, but Escape folks are more fun to talk with )

After years of rarely carrying our Olympus Evolt E-500 DSLR with 3 lens out on hikes with me, and realizing that it spent most all its time in the closet, I sold it all on eBay. We still have a really nice Canon SX280 that takes amazing pictures and has a 20x zoom. It's the camera we can always have in our pocket and along. But Mary and I both really miss having a viewfinder, especially in bright light situations. She loves to take close up flower pictures and really misses the viewfinder then and I've spent so many years with SLRs that I prefer them.

After talking with a couple different people we met out on trails, and WERE carrying them on the trail, I am looking at what are called bridge or superzoom cameras. They look like a small DSLR and have lenses that can go all the way up to 60X. Some of the leaders of the pack seem to be the Canon SX50, the Nikon P520 and the Panasonic Lumix FZ72. Of those 3, only the Nikon has built in GPS that to me, has become a must have (with the way iPhoto and Aperture can automatically make slide shows for me with maps of where we were), so I am leaning heavily toward it.

Anyway, sorry for the long boring intro, but does anyone own a superzoom/bridge camera with a viewfinder? Do you take it along with you on hikes, etc and does it live up to their hype for you?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Too bad you sold the Olympus stuff. I recently bought an Olympus OM D E-M5 ( no, I don't know why it has so many letters ). It's a mirrorless SLR, fairly compact and light weight, comes with a 12-50mm f3.5-f6.3 zoom ( with macro ) and, with adapters you can use other lenses from Nikon, Leica, Olympus.
I have a 300mm f4.5 Olympus OM lens and adapter, that when placed on my OM D becomes effective a 600mm f4.5.

Go here to read review and to see other, less expensive options:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...era-over-1000/

BTW, I retired after 45 years as a news photographer. Which doesn't mean I know anything about cameras, really.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Wolf has Lumix DMC ZS 20. with gps 20 xs zoom that he loves ,takes it everywhere....
Old 11-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Eric

I bought a Canon PowerShot S100 for my wife about a year ago and find myself borrowing it from her quite often since it is so compact and takes such great photos. It has built in GPS, but I have turned that feature off because it seems to use a lot of battery power and because it reveals the location of photos taken at home (you might not want to tell people where you live). It does not have a viewfinder. It is an intelligent camera and does an excellent job of figuring out what you are trying to take a photo of and focusing on that thing or person.

An example of a photo taken in fully automatic mode:
Web in Fog | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I still use my SLR for taking serious photos.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1956sm.jpg  

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Thanks Glenn. My DSLR stuff was way below your level. I took a beating on selling it as the price has plummeted on it. The only one I do ok with ,as its price went up a lot since I bought it, was my Olympus Zuiko 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 ED Lens

That stuff's you showed me is all pretty far out of my price range (without a LOT of explaining to Mary.) The ones I'm looking at are in the $300 - $400 price range. I've faced up to the reality of the fact that all I ever do with our pictures anymore is print out a few to put up around the house, make a calendar every year, and show them on our HDTV to friends. You are a real photographer, I'm a guy who snaps some photos.....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Wolf has Lumix DMC ZS 20. with gps 20 xs zoom that he loves ,takes it everywhere....
That is very similar to our Canon SX280 and we too take it everywhere, but want to get something with a viewfinder.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
I have an Olympus EM-5 as well; brilliant camera. I use it with the 12-50 that Baglo has as well as a really compact 45-150 f4-5.6 from Panasonic (uses the same mount as the Olympus) and that gives me an effective range of 24mm to 300mm in 35mm camera terms in a really compact package. If I really want to get creative then I put on the Olympus 7-14 f4. You'll find the bridge cameras are only really good if you want to post small images on the web or print 5X7 or smaller so if that's all you want to do then it would work for you. If you want to print any bigger then the flaws of the small sensor start to become apparent.

The images from the last 18 months on my website (link below) are all taken with the EM-5.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #8

Brian - thanks, my realization is that I take few "serious" photos anymore... and am in a phase of my life where I'm trying to simplify, getting rid of things that I just don't use often enough.

Barry - beautiful photos - thanks for sharing your link.... and you about summed up what I end up doing with most pictures now!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #9

Trailer: none
Check out the Panasonic Lumix DZ200. We just got one for a trip to Antarctica and have been using it for a couple of months. Really nice camera and great photos. Number of pixels can be adjusted for whatever size print you may b contemplating. has a viewfinder and the zoom goes up to the equivalent of 600mm. There is a great video tutorial series that REALLY helps get up to speed on all the amazing features.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #10

Fran and Dave -- thank and I did look at that one, looks nice, but I really want one with GPS, so that is why I keep coming back to the Nikon P520.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #11

Well Amazon seduced me this morning with one of their quick price drops on a manufacturer refurbished Nikon P520 when the price suddenly hit $269 - more then $100 less than a new one and $200 less than retail.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19 ft.
nikon p520

I have the Nikon p510 with 42x zoom and I really like the camera, it has a lot of cool features on it. You look like you got a great deal.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #13

A word of warning if you live in Canada and shop US:

Are my Nikon products covered under warranty?

Nikon's extended warranty is exclusive to Nikon Canada. Nikon products must be purchased through an Authorized Nikon Canada dealer. The following are covered under a Canadian warranty against manufacturing defects...

So, if you buy online, you will have to return it to the U.S. for warranty repairs.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
I'm sure all the cameras discussed do a great job. However, for outdoor photography, I think using a $40 polaroid filter improves a photo more than the quality of the camera can. Sure, high quality cameras get you the exposure and composition, and some degree of saturation. But, a polaroid filter eliminates glare that destroys true color representations. It's indispensable. Try it, you'll like it!
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #15

Pkg. Do you mean a polarized filter? I like the effect of haze filter for many outside shots

Old 11-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger57 View Post
I have the Nikon p510 with 42x zoom and I really like the camera, it has a lot of cool features on it. You look like you got a great deal.
Thanks. Great to hear you like yours!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #17

I keep a "haze" filter ( actually called a UV filter ) on the lens at all times and put the lens cap in a junk drawer at home. You can't take pictures through a lens cap and the UV filter protects the front lens element from damage.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
A word of warning if you live in Canada and shop US:

Nikon's extended warranty is exclusive to Nikon Canada. Nikon products must be purchased through an Authorized Nikon Canada dealer. The following are covered under a Canadian warranty against manufacturing defects...

So, if you buy online, you will have to return it to the U.S. for warranty repairs.
Glenn same here in the US if you buy from a non authorized dealer, then there is no Nikon warranty. I almost bought one advertised as new on eBay but thought to ask about that first

Old 11-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #19

Quote:
I keep a "haze" filter ( actually called a UV filter ) on the lens at all times and put the lens cap in a junk drawer at home. You can't take pictures through a lens cap and the UV filter protects the front lens element from damage.
Same here. I had one Hoya that was actually marked as haze. Are there different types of UV filters. Seems like some have an A or C designation or something like that

Old 11-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
My first digital camera was a Nikon P&S, and I bought it online from the US. When I had a warranty issue, I had to send it back to Nikon USA for repair. Not sure if that has changed.

With Canon, you can buy in the US, and get warranty service in Canada.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote