Television - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Television

We needed a new TV for our 19 - the old one did not work so well after bouncing from the bed to floor while driving. We NOW store it in a bin under the bed.

I wanted a 12V TV but did not like the selection of off-brands available. After poking around it looked like the Samsung UN22F5000 22" TV might work on 12V.

Bought one: Amazon.com: Samsung UN22F5000 22-Inch 1080p 60Hz Slim LED HDTV (2013 Model): Electronics
And a Radio Shack 12V cord: Enercell Heavy-Duty 12V/5A Power Cord (8-Ft.) : Power Cords | RadioShack.com
with "T" tip adapter: Enercell Adaptaplug T : Adaptaplugs | RadioShack.com
NOTE: One tip (of your choice) is included in the price of the 12V cord.

Be SURE to plug the tip in for "+". And it works - at least so far.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
How did you know it was 12volt?

Thanks much -- I might do this instead of getting a Jensen TV. But I am curious, how did you know that it worked on 12 volts before you bought it? Do all (or most) LED tvs work on 12 volts? do they have an external power supply?
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Televisions

There are also RCA flat panel LED televisions which if used in the home use a step-down transformer to reduce and rectify 110v AC to 12v DC. There are 15"and 19" in this configuration. I bought the 19" and use the 12V plug in with the correct plug on the end for the TV and it works just fine. I had a 19" with DVD in my previous RV for a couple of years and it also was fine, no issues. The bonus was only I paid $105 CN for it from Superstore.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Thanks much -- I might do this instead of getting a Jensen TV. But I am curious, how did you know that it worked on 12 volts before you bought it? Do all (or most) LED tvs work on 12 volts? do they have an external power supply?
The "brick" is actually 14 volts. I was not positive it would work, only reasonably sure. If it had not worked I would have used it on the inverter. You need to do quite a bit of research. That is why I posted that THIS TV appears to work.

1) Read all the literature and reviews (often good info in them) on Amazon.
2) Read all you can find on the manufacturer's site.
3) Google and sift through lots of extraneous hits for useful info.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Thanks Doug.
We have the same TV and a 12v power option may come in handy. The part numbers & links are appreciated.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #6

Actually - one of the most useful tools in determining if the TV will run on 12V is seeing it at a (REAL - brick and mortar) store. You can verify the existence of an external "brick", look for the voltage, and look at the connector. And try to buy a 12V (cigarette lighter) cord for it.

Note: A TV which wants a well-regulated 12V supply may not be happy with an RV's 12V. When charging it be over 14V, and even with nothing much going on it will be 12.5V or more. Everything I have seen/read indicates under voltage is safer than over voltage.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Here's what I bought and it works fine...

Amazon.com: 12 Volt DC Cord To Power TVs With A Cigarette Lighter Socket - Universal Connector: Electronics
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
It *looks* like it will not fit the TV I bought, and one of the comments said it didn't work with a Samsung 22" HDTV.

At Radio Shack they have at least 20 tips for their 12V cord - and a set of tips to help figure out which one fits your device.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I fried a AM/FM/Short wave radio by using a Radio Shack 12V cord and the wrong tip. Make sure you keep all instructions that come with the cord and with the device you are powering.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Using Samsung TV on 12 volt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
We needed a new TV for our 19 - the old one did not work so well after bouncing from the bed to floor while driving. We NOW store it in a bin under the bed.

I wanted a 12V TV but did not like the selection of off-brands available. After poking around it looked like the Samsung UN22F5000 22" TV might work on 12V.

Bought one: Amazon.com: Samsung UN22F5000 22-Inch 1080p 60Hz Slim LED HDTV (2013 Model): Electronics
And a Radio Shack 12V cord: Enercell Heavy-Duty 12V/5A Power Cord (8-Ft.) : Power Cords | RadioShack.com
with "T" tip adapter: Enercell Adaptaplug T : Adaptaplugs | RadioShack.com
NOTE: One tip (of your choice) is included in the price of the 12V cord.

Be SURE to plug the tip in for "+". And it works - at least so far.
I am using the above Samsung TV that comes with a 14 volt brick that coverts 120 volt to 14 volts. I am using the TV directly on the trailer 12 volt system without the brick. I got into issues with " ground loops" causing interference on video and sound due to connections between the Samsung and the Jensen 12 volt stereo that Escape furnishes.

Before I was done, I had to install isolators on sound going from DVD sereo to TV, sound going from TV to DVD stereo, and composite video going from DVD stereo to TV. The units I used as were:

Amazon.com: Scosche Eso34 Ground Loop Isolator: Car Electronics
and
Amazon.com: C2G / Cables to Go 41145 Composite Video Isolation Transformer (Black): Electronics

I also had to use male to male adapters to get everything connected. If I had it to do over I would have been better off going with a regular 12 volt TV from Jensen or other. The cost after all was done was a wash. The advantage being the Samsung has a better picture, is lighter, and I have no inverter losses involved. I put the little isolators in the overhead cabinet to get them out of sight.

Hope this may help someone out.
Attached Thumbnails
61zZx1smouL._SX522_.jpg   31nnTbrASDL.jpg   IMG_20141122_124803497_HDR.jpg  
Attached Images

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:00 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Relative is a long-haul trucker who advised me to check into roadtrucker.com - these folks live in their rigs day after day. Got a nice 22 inch 12v TV/DVD combo that I love because the pic is great plus the viewing angles are superb - don't need to be right in front of it. 22" RCA 12v LED TV DVD Combo, DECK22DR RoadTrucker

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find the speakers on some of these units to be rearward and/or if in the front quality lacking. Combined with my aging ears I found a bluetooth transmitter that plugs in and I can place a robust speaker in front of me for listening pleasure. Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-BA01 Wireless Portable Bluetooth Stereo Music Transmitter (Not A Bluetooth Receiver) for 3.5mm Audio Devices (iPod, MP3/MP4, TV, Kindle Fire, Media Playersˇ*): Electronics
and speaker
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Relative is a long-haul trucker who advised me to check into roadtrucker.com - these folks live in their rigs day after day. Got a nice 22 inch 12v TV/DVD combo that I love because the pic is great plus the viewing angles are superb - don't need to be right in front of it. 22" RCA 12v LED TV DVD Combo, DECK22DR RoadTrucker
That's the one that I was considering, though I'll wait until the trailer gets home to buy it.

My wife and I can't make up our minds on where the TV ought to go. It can sit on counters until we figure it out. A combo TV/dvd player means I can change my mind without running cables. 22" for old(er) eyes and 12v to skip the inverter. I had ETI put in 12v outlets anywhere I thought we might want the TV.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I find the speakers on some of these units to be rearward and/or if in the front quality lacking. Combined with my aging ears I found a bluetooth transmitter that plugs in and I can place a robust speaker in front of me for listening pleasure. Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-BA01 Wireless Portable Bluetooth Stereo Music Transmitter (Not A Bluetooth Receiver) for 3.5mm Audio Devices (iPod, MP3/MP4, TV, Kindle Fire, Media Playersˇ*): Electronics
and speaker
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sound in our huge 19" TV is also of fairly poor quality. We use a similar Bluetooth transmitter as Jim and combined with our Bose Bluetooth speaker, it is like being at the theatre, albeit, watching the big screen from quite some distance away.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #15

We ended up with a 24" Jensen and a Jensen AWM 975 AM/FM/DVD. It works well for us to play DVDs and listen to the radio. I think folks are correct that you can get a better picture with a Samsung, but I knew that this would all work together, and it seemed easier than alternatives. When listening to a DVD, the sound comes out of the Stereo speakers. I suppose we could run a cord from the ear phone jack of the TV to the Aux In on the stereo, and then we would get the sound out of the stereo speakers. I wish the stereo was able to receive blue tooth from our i-devices, but that is about my only complaint.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #16

Quote:
We ended up with a 24" Jensen and a Jensen AWM 975 AM/FM/DVD. It works well for us to play DVDs and listen to the radio. I think folks are correct that you can get a better picture with a Samsung, but I knew that this would all work together, and it seemed easier than alternatives. When listening to a DVD, the sound comes out of the Stereo speakers. I suppose we could run a cord from the ear phone jack of the TV to the Aux In on the stereo, and then we would get the sound out of the stereo speakers. I wish the stereo was able to receive blue tooth from our i-devices, but that is about my only complaint.
We have an output from the headphone jack on the Samsung to the stereo. It works fine. Usually turn off the TV speakers and listen through the stereo. I did have to drop the stereo to get the cables accessible since ETI doesn't have them hanging. On the Samsung that was one of the things I had to add an isolator to keep from getting the hum.

I think one of the advantages of going all Jensen is a single remote that can work both? Also no hum since it is a 12 volt TV by design.

Zig Ziglar
Old 02-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My tele is right next to the stereo, so I ran a simple cable from the earphone jack on the tele over to the audio in jack on the stereo and use that for my sound.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I think one of the advantages of going all Jensen is a single remote that can work both? Also no hum since it is a 12 volt TV by design.
You are right -- we can control the DVD with the TV remote, which works well for us since the radio is facing the door while the TV is facing the bed.

There isn't any hum at all. We had to replace the original Jensen DVD player because it wouldn't eject DVDs, but since then we haven't had any problems at all.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:23 AM   #19

Quote:
You are right -- we can control the DVD with the TV remote, which works well for us since the radio is facing the door while the TV is facing the bed.

There isn't any hum at all. We had to replace the original Jensen DVD player because it wouldn't eject DVDs, but since then we haven't had any problems at all.
The Jensen Stereo has a infrared remote port. For A few bucks you can buy a removable cord with a receiver on the end (3/4" square). Velcroed that to the top of the tv so Jensen can be controlled from the dinette. Had one laying around so it was a freebie. Doesn't have to be a Jensen.
Attached Thumbnails
IRPMRPT_1.jpg  

Zig Ziglar
Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Charlie, can you tell me if there are any connectors needed? In addition to the 22" RCA TV, what else do I need to purchase: cords, connectors, etc.? I have no idea what it takes to make this work. Thanks.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote