To stick or to suction -- getting hooked - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
To stick or to suction -- getting hooked

I just did some forum research and it looks like the historical consensus is that 3m "Command" hooks work well in all locations in the Escape, even on stainless steel and the faux wood panelling, as long as you are very careful and follow the instructions when you remove the hooks. So is it safe to say this is the Preferred Hook of the Discerning Escapee? One who wishes to drill no holes and make no marks?

(Glenn, I did see posts about your hook removal mishap, and have taken that mental note)

Do any of you use OXO suction cup hooks/caddies in your showers? Do those stay put or am I better off with the 3m options in there, too?
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: To stick or to suction -- getting hooked

I don't know that it was OXO brand, but I did have a toothbrush holder and a caddy for misc. items. They didn't come from the dollar store. Cost a few bucks.

I got tired of picking them up off the floor and threw them out.

baglo
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 E19

I lucked out as my lil trailer came with the following suctioning hooks and containers: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...staytion/30929

It managed to hold four regular sized bottles of shampoo conditioner, etc for the whole season of camping and in fact is still hanging in the bathroom. I also have individual hooks that I use outside for wet, rained on jackets or wet towels. The push button ones seem to really work
azutco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

E, we found a corner shower basket at Target with suction cups on both sides that has stayed in there very well. We mounted it above the sink. We also have a suction cup type small towel rack in there. The suction cups are installed and released by swinging the bar up or down. It sometimes comes loose.

We have a couple of the 3M hooks in the bathroom to hang wash clothes and small hand towels on. They seem to work well. I have never tried the 3M mounts anywhere on the "wood" surfaces. The plastic veneer on the thin plywood seems far too easy to tear off. It would be just my luck that the veneer came off with the 3M tape even though it is supposed to release if you do it correctly.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Inside we have a row of solid stainless hooks screwed to the bath door. Great for handing things on. That is where my clothes I take off before bed hang, ready to grab in the morning. If there is any dampness, they dry out good too.

We also use a couple of the over the door type hooks to keep things like dish towels on.

I am not really a fan of the 3m type on wood, even faux wood like in the Escape. No real bad experience, just don't trust the stuff long term. Besides, if you know where you want things, I would much prefer them permanently attached with screws.

The suction hooks inside never worked well for us either, but if you use the good cam-locking ones, I find they work great on the outside of the trailer right beside the door. You can hang coats out there. Great for that raincoat that is too wet to bring inside. Plus, it keeps coats outside freeing up some space inside. Dog leashes, hats, umbrellas, all get hung there. HERE is one from Lee Valley. You can find lots way cheaper on places like eBay, but you do get what you pay for.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I've used the 3M hooks for hanging light jackets, shirts, etc &they both stayed on when I wanted them to & came off the wood walls when I wanted to move them.

I've since seen the Umbra Folding Hooks that Elizabeth & Dan had installed by Reace on their new trailer, and fell in love with both the look & the practicality.

Since I had used the removable ones for a season & kept moving them around until I found the locations I preferred for them, I added glue when mounting the Umbra hooks. One is on the bathroom wall facing the front dinette, and the other by the door on the refrigerator wall.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #7

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'm glad the Umbra hooks are a hit ... we already love them and we haven't gone anywhere yet I wish they made an equivalent we could pop in the bathroom or use to hold a potholder ...

Eric, I'm with you on the fear of the sticky tape, which is why I felt compelled to double-check even though so any of you say they're ok. I think if I use them I'll stick (pardon the pun) to using them on the stainless oven hood and the inside of the bathroom.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

After seeing E and Dan's Umbra I ordered one for Blue. For mounting on the refridge wall like I plan, you have to saw off one hook. When you do that you loose one of the mounting eyes cut into the rear. But I don't think mounting them the standard method of Umbra would be solid enough for a trailer. I asked Dan and E how Reace mounted theirs and he did it as I thought he might have - drill and screwed in the space behind where the hook folds up. The screws are still hidden and give it a solid mount.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

One bad thing we've noticed with our 3M hooks is that if they are stuck on the faux wood paneling, they don't like cold weather i.e. below 0C. We went to check on our 19 in it's storage place the other day and noticed one of the hooks had fallen off. When we pulled lightly on the others they all came off. It was -12C at the time. The ones on the stainless steel surface seemed to stick fine in the cold.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T
After seeing E and Dan's Umbra I ordered one for Blue. For mounting on the refridge wall like I plan, you have to saw off one hook. When you do that you loose one of the mounting eyes cut into the rear. But I don't think mounting them the standard method of Umbra would be solid enough for a trailer. I asked Dan and E how Reace mounted theirs and he did it as I thought he might have - drill and screwed in the space behind where the hook folds up. The screws are still hidden and give it a solid mount.

Eric
And an important note for anyone planning to cut off one hook to fit the refrigerator wall - There is a steel hinge pin that runs between the hooks! Don't ask me how I know, but boy those fine toothed 10" miter saw blades sure are expensive...
Old 03-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #11

Oh No! This is exactly why I had these sent to Canada so Reace could do this for us ... I had a feeling it wouldn't be as easy as it seemed.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

My 3M hooks have been mounted for three years now with no issues, but it only goes below freezing infrequently.
I used double sided tape for the paper towel holder ( under the cabinet ) and may finally have to add the screws, since after three years, I am still happy with the location.

baglo
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T

Eric
And an important note for anyone planning to cut off one hook to fit the refrigerator wall - There is a steel hinge pin that runs between the hooks! Don't ask me how I know, but boy those fine toothed 10" miter saw blades sure are expensive...
Thanks for the heads up on that! I would have ruined a blade too. I will have to cut by hand until I reach the metal and cut thru it with a metal blade in my Dremel Multitool or some such procedure.

Eric

Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape

I'll put my vote in for suction cup hooks, bathroom mirror and toothpaste/brush holder. The suction cups lock down well for a couple trips. I end up removing them occasionally to make sure they don't loose their grip while driving.
robinwstebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #15

We use the suction cups for everything..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #16

Trailer: sold it

We have several 3M hooks - in the bath and around and on the trailer door. The furnace in our 5.0 is directly across from the door so stuff hanging there dries real quick.