Towing Mirrors - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Towing Mirrors

Folks:
We leave for our trip to Chilliwack in just a week. We're very excited to be getting our new Escape! I need some advice concerning the need for towing mirrors. My TV is a 2008 Toyota 4Runner and is factory equipped with fairly large mirrors. These proved adequate for towing our Tab, which is the same maximum width (6-08) as our new 17B, but somewhat lower (6-08 as compared to 7-01). Will I need towing mirrors? If so, what do you recommend? Thanks for your suggestions.
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
We picked up a little pair of the round stick on 2 inch dia. mirrors to tow our 19 back from Tuscon where we picked it up. They helped and were a cheap "quick fix". Once home, we ordered and installed the Milenco Grand Aeros which we really like and use all the time. Easy to install and remove and once adjusted, it's not hard to hit the right "spacing" on the vehicle mirror when reinstalling.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Factory mirrors were adequate with a 19 and a 4Runner. The 21 and a Sequoia required mirror extensions.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Don't think you'll need them for the 17; we didn't use them when towing ours with a Highlander.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
I have the Aeros mirrors, cost a lot, but do not use them on my Rav4, I see good with regular mirrors and the little round inset mirrors. That is with my 16` scamp. I think the Escape is a little wider and you will need the ext. mirros. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #6

Towing Mirrors

Thanks! It sounds like we may not need them. I won't buy mirrors in advance, but will try towing the 17B without them and add them if I feel it is necessary.
Dave
Old 08-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #7

Towing Mirrors

Folks:
I was wrong on the exterior heights of the Tab (7-09) and the 17B (8-01). Sorry for the wrong data.
Dave
Old 08-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by civi View Post
I have the Aeros mirrors, cost a lot, but do not use them on my Rav4, I see good with regular mirrors and the little round inset mirrors. That is with my 16` scamp. I think the Escape is a little wider and you will need the ext. mirros. Carl
The RAV4 is fairly narrow - I found I needed additional mirrors with the 17, and bought a set of Grand Aero. I tried a few different "stick on" mirrors, but had vibration problems. The Grand Aero are very stable.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I also have Grand Aero.

The following is from B.C. Motor Vehicle Act:

Where a trailer or semitrailer in a combination of vehicles diminishes the driver's reflected rear view through the rear view mirrors required by subsections (1) to (3), the towing vehicle in the combination of vehicles shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, one affixed to each side of the motor vehicle, and each to provide the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway from a point on the road surface 11 m behind the driver to a point on the road surface 61 m from the rear of the combination of vehicles.

Note that it says adjacent lanes, not the lane you are in ( directly behind the trailer ).
Old 08-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
I'm another using the Grand Aero mirrors for towing my 17B with a 4Runner. Do I really need them? Maybe no but the extra vision they give makes towing less stressful and backing into a site much easier.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Factory mirrors were adequate with a 19 and a 4Runner. The 21 and a Sequoia required mirror extensions.
FB: we have the same 21 + Sequoia setup. Not happy w/ our extension mirrors. What is your brand/model? TIA.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I also have Grand Aero.

The following is from B.C. Motor Vehicle Act:

Where a trailer or semitrailer in a combination of vehicles diminishes the driver's reflected rear view through the rear view mirrors required by subsections (1) to (3), the towing vehicle in the combination of vehicles shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, one affixed to each side of the motor vehicle, and each to provide the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway from a point on the road surface 11 m behind the driver to a point on the road surface 61 m from the rear of the combination of vehicles.

Note that it says adjacent lanes, not the lane you are in ( directly behind the trailer ).
Thanks for the numbers, although I use the Grand Aeros on my Tacoma with a 21, I believe the 120 degree rear view camera I put over the rear window actually covers that range, too!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #13

Towing Mirrors

Folks:
We towed our new 17B back from Chilliwack with only the factory installed mirrors (although we did add the 2" stick-on disk mirrors to the factory mirrors as had been recommended above. Did not have any problems. However, we just got back from a 3 week trip during which we used the Grand Aero mirrors. These were a marked improvement--both when backing up and in seeing how many vehicles were behind us! As had been recommended, Costco (on-line) had the best price.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
It looks like the Grand Aero / Aero 2 mirrors that people bought on Costco.ca are not available at Costco.ca anymore. Has anyone tried the SpeedFix Clip-on Towing Mirrors that they now sell instead?

I have found the Aero mirrors on Amazon.com but would rather not have to deal with currency exchange and cross border shipping.
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
It looks like the Grand Aero / Aero 2 mirrors that people bought on Costco.ca are no longer available. Has anyone tried the SpeedFix Clip-on Towing Mirrors that are now sold instead?
msweet, We got the Milenco Grand Aeros from Amazon and are very happy with them. Easy on/off and a very good viewing area. Very minor vibration. They are still available from Amazon.com.

Cheers

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
msweet, We got the Milenco Grand Aeros from Amazon and are very happy with them. Easy on/off and a very good viewing area. Very minor vibration. They are still available from Amazon.com.

Cheers
Thanks! I just updated my previous post because it was unclear. I was looking to buy through a Canadian retailer to avoid cross border shipping and exchange rates. I may still order those if I don't hear back regarding the Costco.ca product.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2016, 05:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I actually got mine from a RV outlet in England. Don't recall the name. In any event, if you Google Milenco you should find other sources.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
It looks like the Grand Aero / Aero 2 mirrors that people bought on Costco.ca are not available at Costco.ca anymore. Has anyone tried the SpeedFix Clip-on Towing Mirrors that they now sell instead?

I have found the Aero mirrors on Amazon.com but would rather not have to deal with currency exchange and cross border shipping.
I have never seen those, but they do not look too bad. A similar idea to the Milenco.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never seen those, but they do not look too bad. A similar idea to the Milenco.
One nice thing about Costco is that you can take them back if they don't work as expected. In some cases even if you have used them for a while!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I actually got mine from a RV outlet in England. Don't recall the name. In any event, if you Google Milenco you should find other sources.
We bought Milenco thru Costco then stupidly lost a milenco part and ordered off the English RV site for replacement parts without any issues. And like Glen I forget the name of the company (pls refer to the "I'm so old thread"
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote