Trailer Aid, two thumbs up or two thumbs down? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Trailer Aid, two thumbs up or two thumbs down?

On a tandem axle 5.0 TA, two thumbs down. Scott
Robot Check

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
On a tandem axle 5.0 TA, two thumbs down. Scott
Robot Check

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
Curious why did you give it 2 thumbs down ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Curious why did you give it 2 thumbs down ? Pat
Pat, on my bike ride home from work this evening I was thinking about taking the trailer into the shop this spring to chase down its brake demons. Last fall I tried using the trailer aid when I was adjusting the brakes, did not even come close to raising the trailer high enough to change a possible flat. Ended up using the trucks scissor jacks.

Carried that thing for almost two years, guess I should of tried it out first. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Hope that's not the case on the 19 since that's what I have, but haven't used it yet. However, my buddy that sent it for a trailer warming present used it on a 32 sticky to do brakes, bearings, new tires and rims with no problems. Wonder if it's an issue with just the 5.0?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:34 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
OH man. I've got one of those trailer aids in a cabinet. Guess I should start hauling the aluminum racing jack again...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Pat, on my bike ride home from work this evening I was thinking about taking the trailer into the shop this spring to chase down its brake demons. Last fall I tried using the trailer aid when I was adjusting the brakes, did not even come close to raising the trailer high enough to change a possible flat. Ended up using the trucks scissor jacks.

Carried that thing for almost two years, guess I should of tried it out first. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
Hope it works on the 19 cause I have one too. What if I added a piece of wood or those plastic blocks if I need more height ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:14 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Two thumbs up from me.

A Trailer Aid has worked fine for raising one wheel at a time off the ground for adjusting brakes on our 21'. Seemed plenty high for changing a tire too, although I haven't needed to try that yet. It is much easier to use than a jack, and seems much more stable. The wheels on the other side were carefully chocked to prevent any rolling.

If you need higher, there is also the Trailer Aid Plus that is rated for 5.5" lift, versus 4.5" for the standard Trailer Aid.
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The website says that the lift is 4.5", but I suspect that this is simply the thickness at the middle; since the tire and suspension of the good axle both compress more when carrying the full load of the trailer, the actual lift of the trailer will be less. The Amazon page says there is also a Trailer Aid Plus, which is an inch taller.

The 5.0TA (up to 2016 spec, anyway) is different from every other Escape in that it has a leaf-spring suspension, which includes a rocker between the suspensions of the two axles. That means that if you lift one wheel it goes up somewhat before starting to carry more of the load, and more lift is needed to pull the other tire off the ground. That's in comparison to the Torflex suspensions (of every other Escape, including the 19', 21', and 2017 5.0TA, which are the other tandems) which are completely independent.

Since the Trailer Aid is only useful for tandems, and leaf-spring suspensions are by far the more common style in any kind of trailer but especially tandems, it's a little surprising to me that it doesn't work well for a leaf-spring tandem trailer.

So, it's more likely to have enough lift with models other than the current 5.0TA, and even for that leaf-spring model, there is a taller Trailer Aid.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M. View Post
Two thumbs up from me.

A Trailer Aid has worked fine for raising one wheel at a time off the ground for adjusting brakes on our 21'. Seemed plenty high for changing a tire too, although I haven't needed to try that yet. It is much easier to use than a jack, and seems much more stable. The wheels on the other side were carefully chocked to prevent any rolling.

If you need higher, there is also the Trailer Aid Plus that is rated for 5.5" lift, versus 4.5" for the standard Trailer Aid.
I wonder if has anything to do with raising the height of the 5th wheel for the higher trucks? Mine did not even come close, the tire I was working on never left the ground, interesting. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The website says that the lift is 4.5", but I suspect that this is simply the thickness at the middle; since the tire and suspension of the good axle both compress more when carrying the full load of the trailer, the actual lift of the trailer will be less. The Amazon page says there is also a Trailer Aid Plus, which is an inch taller.

The 5.0TA (up to 2016 spec, anyway) is different from every other Escape in that it has a leaf-spring suspension, which includes a rocker between the suspensions of the two axles. That means that if you lift one wheel it goes up somewhat before starting to carry more of the load, and more lift is needed to pull the other tire off the ground. That's in comparison to the Torflex suspensions (of every other Escape, including the 19', 21', and 2017 5.0TA, which are the other tandems) which are completely independent.

Since the Trailer Aid is only useful for tandems, and leaf-spring suspensions are by far the more common style in any kind of trailer but especially tandems, it's a little surprising to me that it doesn't work well for a leaf-spring tandem trailer.

So, it's more likely to have enough lift with models other than the current 5.0TA, and even for that leaf-spring model, there is a taller Trailer Aid.
Thanks Brian, I always thought that the 21 and 5.0 TA shared the same suspension. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are really, really fun!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:37 AM   #11

Quote:
I wonder if has anything to do with raising the height of the 5th wheel for the higher trucks?
Quote:
... I always thought that the 21 and 5.0 TA shared the same suspension.
Although the difference is not directly due to the trailer height (or the fifth-wheel hitch), matching truck height in the 5.0TA is indirectly the reason for the difference: Reace chose leaf-spring suspension for the 5.0TA to make it easier to change the suspension height, to fit different trucks. The 2017 5.0TA will use a spacer to change the height instead, and so the 21 and 5.0 TA will share the same suspension.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
OH man. I've got one of those trailer aids in a cabinet. Guess I should start hauling the aluminum racing jack again...
Donna, just looked that up, I hope your joking. Wouldn't a bottle jack pack easier? Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are awesome camp bikes.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:03 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I used mine when I had a flat on BlackJack, worked fine. It has been carried in that front box for well over 4 years before it's first use and boy was I glad I had it. Also glad that Escape is going back to torsion on 2017/5.1, going to keep it with me....
Old 02-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Donna, just looked that up, I hope your joking. Wouldn't a bottle jack pack easier? Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are awesome camp bikes.
Easier to pack, but not easier to use. I don't think the throw is long enough on any bottle jack I own. The racing jack goes up 18" with three pumps and I own it. Lightweight too since it's aluminum. I'm going to try the Trailer Aid first to see if there's something I can do to make it work. Extra blocks underneath like was mentioned in an earlier post? I carry bunches of lego blocks.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Am surprised too it doesn't work on 5.0 TA. Is it a plus model? That's the one I have, but the regular one would've been enough for a 21.

Not sure the plastic blocks would work as a base as the whole thing would likely slide.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Am surprised too it doesn't work on 5.0 TA. Is it a plus model? That's the one I have, but the regular one would've been enough for a 21.

Not sure the plastic blocks would work as a base as the whole thing would likely slide.
Might have to give the plus model a try, in theory I really like the way they work. I'm curious to hear if any other 5.0 TA owners have had better luck.

Might be bringing the trailer out for Arctic Man, arcticman.com - Home
I'll post if the plus model works. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes at Arctic Man? Not a good idea.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #17

A floor jack (such as Donna's aluminum racing version) is substantially more stable than a bottle jack, and the cup on the end normally has a larger lifting surface, often with tabs to go around the frame rail and rubber in middle so it would stay in place better on the frame.

I have not carried a floor jack while towing, in part because my only light aluminum floor jack is too small. If I were towing with a pickup truck, and has a suitable jack, I would consider it.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have carried one of these in my truck bed for 7 years, I hope I never need it. 1.5 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®
Old 02-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have carried one of these in my truck bed for 7 years, I hope I never need it. 1.5 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®
Think I'll give the trailer aid plus a try. If that does not work, I"ll just use the trucks scissor jack. No flats (tires), in 38 years of driving, by posting this I bet I have increased my chance of getting a flat, (tire) this summer. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Old 02-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That's the exact jack I've got.