Trailer Aid, two thumbs up or two thumbs down? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
I'm Puzzled

One of the first things I did when we brought our 5.0 TA home in October 2015 was to test the Trailer Aid (4.5") while adjusting the brakes. The Trailer Aid gave me approximately an inch of clearance from the bottom of the tire to the ground. However, realizing that for every brake adjustment I would have to hook up the trailer and move the Trailer Aid four times was more work than pulling out my 2.0 ton aluminum floor jack. I did not test the Trailer Aid on the other three tires so I have no idea if I would have gotten disparate results on the other three tires. Before our next trip I certainly will check though. Otherwise, the aluminum floor jack is going in the back of the truck as the truck only has a bottle jack. Thanks for the heads up.
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMTHKR View Post
One of the first things I did when we brought our 5.0 TA home in October 2015 was to test the Trailer Aid (4.5") while adjusting the brakes. The Trailer Aid gave me approximately an inch of clearance from the bottom of the tire to the ground. However, realizing that for every brake adjustment I would have to hook up the trailer and move the Trailer Aid four times was more work than pulling out my 2.0 ton aluminum floor jack. I did not test the Trailer Aid on the other three tires so I have no idea if I would have gotten disparate results on the other three tires. Before our next trip I certainly will check though. Otherwise, the aluminum floor jack is going in the back of the truck as the truck only has a bottle jack. Thanks for the heads up.
Sounds like the Trailer Aid Plus would be a good idea with another inch of lift. When changing a tire on the road you may not get as much lift. I got that for the 21' just in case. Worked great in the driveway adjusting brakes. The unit has ribs for grip that dug into my asphault. The next tire I stuck a piece of paneling underneath to protect the pavement.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:

Thanks for responding. I backed up onto the 4.5 aid, so it was the “front” tire sitting in contact with the drive way and the “back” tire sitting on the aid. Could not even spin the front. Probally could get a flat (tire) off but doubt I could mount the spare. If no one else is having this issue I’m thinking it might be because our suspension is raised to its highest position on the trailer? I am going to order the 5.5", tack a small board underneath and give it a try. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can make a ramp out of individual 'lego' blocks ( Lynx Levelers ).
It seems to me the Trailer Aid is only good for one thing, whereas the Lynx can be used under stabilizers, under tires for leveling and under the jack.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 4.12.43 PM.png  
Old 02-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You can make a ramp out of individual 'lego' blocks ( Lynx Levelers ).
It seems to me the Trailer Aid is only good for one thing, whereas the Lynx can be used under stabilizers, under tires for leveling and under the jack.
Thanks Glenn, we are using the Andersen Levelers which I really like. Just wondering why others are getting the tire off the ground and not us. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Because the Trailer Aid will work with rubber torsion axles and the 5.0 has springs. It works on the 21' Escape and should work on the new 2017 TA because it will have torsion axles. There is an explanation in another thread as to why levelers work on torsion and not on springs, same reason.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The unit has ribs for grip that dug into my asphault.
What grips are those bolt heads which are made to dig into the surface.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Because the Trailer Aid will work with rubber torsion axles and the 5.0 has springs. It works on the 21' Escape and should work on the new 2017 TA because it will have torsion axles. There is an explanation in another thread as to why levelers work on torsion and not on springs, same reason.
Right Jim, saw that. Another 5.0 TA member responded that it worked for him, just wondering why it didn't work for us. Not a huge deal, but I like to be prepared in case of a flat (tire) and not haul around a useless piece of plastic. Cheers, Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
The unit has ribs for grip that dug into my asphault.
I think they are bolt heads now that you mentioned it. They left 4 nice holes in my newly sealed drive. A small piece of paneling absorbed them when I did the next wheel. They would be a good thing out on the road changing a flat. I like the unit overall.

I have a scissors jack as well and it would work but is very awkward. With the jack I would worry about slipping off and crushing me. No worries with the Trailer Aid.
Attached Thumbnails
81W45VvbvxL._SL1500_.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Definitely no qualms about getting under the trailer using this to adjust brakes. With a hydraulic jack safety sez use jackstands.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The unit has ribs for grip that dug into my asphault. The next tire I stuck a piece of paneling underneath to protect the pavement.
Quote:
Quote:
I think they are bolt heads now that you mentioned it. They left 4 nice holes in my newly sealed drive. A small piece of paneling absorbed them when I did the next wheel. They would be a good thing out on the road changing a flat.
This sounded like a strange feature, so I did a Google search for "trailer aid bolt heads bottom"... and this is a well known feature, or issue.
They do appear to be grips. I wouldn't use that on my own asphalt, so I don't know why I would use it on someone else's... and on concrete the bolt heads would probably make it slip more. This comment seems to confirm that:
Quote:
When trying to pull the trailer onto it....it just slid across the concrete, smashed all the bottom bolts and caved in the sides of it on the bottom.
I think I would try to remove them, if they're just the heads of bolts which have no other purpose.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #32

Quote:
I have a scissors jack as well and it would work but is very awkward. With the jack I would worry about slipping off and crushing me. No worries with the Trailer Aid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Definitely no qualms about getting under the trailer using this to adjust brakes. With a hydraulic jack safety sez use jackstands.
I agree - with something like this (but not stacked on another device or shim) the trailer is essentially just sitting on uneven ground. A jack which can lower (such as a hydraulic bottle or floor jack, or a ratcheting jack which can slip) certainly calls for jackstands; any device which is not completely stable (which includes almost any jack) also certainly calls for jackstands.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Thanks for responding. I backed up onto the 4.5 aid, so it was the “front” tire sitting in contact with the drive way and the “back” tire sitting on the aid. Could not even spin the front. Probally could get a flat (tire) off but doubt I could mount the spare. If no one else is having this issue I’m thinking it might be because our suspension is raised to its highest position on the trailer?
Quote:
Just wondering why others are getting the tire off the ground and not us.
As discussed earlier...
Quote:
The leaf-spring setup has an rocker between the springs which allows one axle to move down when the other one moves up, without any spring compression. This provides more wheel travel and so more ramp height is needed.

It would help somewhat to jack the front of the trailer up or down (if it is not attached to a tug) in whatever direction would lift the tire that you're trying to get off the ground.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #34

Quote:
I have carried one of these in my truck bed for 7 years, I hope I never need it. 1.5 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®
According to the specs on that web page, the raised height is only 14 1/8", which would not even reach the frame of a trailer with a 4" tall frame rail and 18" or greater coupler height (the top of the ball is at the top of frame height with most couplers). Based on the strange spec and this review posted on the Harbor Freight site, I suspect that those who find this model works for an Escape 21 probably have an earlier version with 4" more lift.
Quote:
The blue 1.5 ton racing jack is everywhere, but something has changed and this one has lost 4" of lift capacity from the old 1.5 ton model and is much flimsier.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Thanks for responding. I backed up onto the 4.5 aid, so it was the “front” tire sitting in contact with the drive way and the “back” tire sitting on the aid. Could not even spin the front. Probally could get a flat (tire) off but doubt I could mount the spare. If no one else is having this issue I’m thinking it might be because our suspension is raised to its highest position on the trailer? I am going to order the 5.5", tack a small board underneath and give it a try. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Scott and Lori, in the next week or so I should be moving my trailer about in preparation for a trip to the desert next month, and hope to test my 4.5" Trailer Aid on all four wheels, both on the concrete pad in the back yard and on the asphalt street curb. If I get it done I'll post the results. From memory, I believe I drove up on the passenger side front trailer tire while parked on the concrete pad in the back yard. Cliff, 2015 5.0 TA
Old 02-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Scott and Lori, in the next week or so I should be moving my trailer about in preparation for a trip to the desert next month, and hope to test my 4.5" Trailer Aid on all four wheels, both on the concrete pad in the back yard and on the asphalt street curb. If I get it done I'll post the results. From memory, I believe I drove up on the passenger side front trailer tire while parked on the concrete pad in the back yard. Cliff, 2015 5.0 TA
I wait to hear your results!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Thanks, Cliff. Like I alluded to in an earlier post I’m thinking because we have our trailer raised (not seeing why suspension travel would change) for our RAM 3500 the 4.5” isn’t working. Interested in your results, cheers. Scott

Scott, Lori and a Schnauzer named Fritz
Fat bikes are fun!
Old 02-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #38

Two Thumbs Down for Me Too As Used on a 2015 5.0 TA

Quote:
Thanks, Cliff. Like I alluded to in an earlier post I’m thinking because we have our trailer raised (not seeing why suspension travel would change) for our RAM 3500 the 4.5” isn’t working. Interested in your results, cheers. Scott

Scott, Lori and a Schnauzer named Fritz
Fat bikes are fun!
Scott, two thumbs down for me too re the 4.5" Trailer Aid. I took care of this testing yesterday and today, while hitched up and parked in three different locations, the concrete parking pad in back with a near level surface, the driveway in front with a slight downslope, and the curb in the cul du sac with a decided pitch towards the curb. Only in one of twelve situations was I able to spin the tire, and the clearance was minimal, 1/8" to 1/4". This was the driver side front tire while parked along the street curb. For your info, I do not have my trailer raised, so it appears Brian and Jim were spot on identifying that the different type axle (leaf spring) used on the 5.0 TA as the cause. After doing this testing and observing how the pivot point rocker works between the two axles, I am not confident a 5.5" Trailer Aid would work on a 5.0 TA, at least in all situations. I may try to hang some boards on the bottom of my 4.5", but until then I'll make plans to use a jack in the event of a flat on the highway that I have to change. I really appreciate the heads up for me and others, possibly saving us from a very frustrating situation on the highway. Thanks again, Cliff
Old 02-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Scott, two thumbs down for me too re the 4.5" Trailer Aid. I took care of this testing yesterday and today, while hitched up and parked in three different locations, the concrete parking pad in back with a near level surface, the driveway in front with a slight downslope, and the curb in the cul du sac with a decided pitch towards the curb. Only in one of twelve situations was I able to spin the tire, and the clearance was minimal, 1/8" to 1/4". This was the driver side front tire while parked along the street curb. For your info, I do not have my trailer raised, so it appears Brian and Jim were spot on identifying that the different type axle (leaf spring) used on the 5.0 TA as the cause. After doing this testing and observing how the pivot point rocker works between the two axles, I am not confident a 5.5" Trailer Aid would work on a 5.0 TA, at least in all situations. I may try to hang some boards on the bottom of my 4.5", but until then I'll make plans to use a jack in the event of a flat on the highway that I have to change. I really appreciate the heads up for me and others, possibly saving us from a very frustrating situation on the highway. Thanks again, Cliff
Cliff, thanks for the follow up, I was starting to doubt myself. Was wondering if I was paying the price for my partying like a rock star phase of life. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Old 02-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #40

Quote:
... we have our trailer raised (not seeing why suspension travel would change)...
I agree: raising the trailer by either spacers (used with Torflex by Escape) or conversion to spring-over-beam configuration (the raising method used with beam axles on leaf springs for the 5.0TA) makes no difference to suspension travel.