Trailer Aid, two thumbs up or two thumbs down? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2016, 12:07 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
AK snowbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southcentral & Mt Baker foothills, Alaska
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Posts: 422
Trailer Aid, two thumbs up or two thumbs down?

On a tandem axle 5.0 TA, two thumbs down. Scott
Robot Check

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
__________________

AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:12 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
On a tandem axle 5.0 TA, two thumbs down. Scott
Robot Check

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
Curious why did you give it 2 thumbs down ? Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
AK snowbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southcentral & Mt Baker foothills, Alaska
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Curious why did you give it 2 thumbs down ? Pat
Pat, on my bike ride home from work this evening I was thinking about taking the trailer into the shop this spring to chase down its brake demons. Last fall I tried using the trailer aid when I was adjusting the brakes, did not even come close to raising the trailer high enough to change a possible flat. Ended up using the trucks scissor jacks.

Carried that thing for almost two years, guess I should of tried it out first. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:27 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,877
Hope that's not the case on the 19 since that's what I have, but haven't used it yet. However, my buddy that sent it for a trailer warming present used it on a 32 sticky to do brakes, bearings, new tires and rims with no problems. Wonder if it's an issue with just the 5.0?
Greg A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:34 AM   #5
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,593
OH man. I've got one of those trailer aids in a cabinet. Guess I should start hauling the aluminum racing jack again...
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:53 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Pat, on my bike ride home from work this evening I was thinking about taking the trailer into the shop this spring to chase down its brake demons. Last fall I tried using the trailer aid when I was adjusting the brakes, did not even come close to raising the trailer high enough to change a possible flat. Ended up using the trucks scissor jacks.

Carried that thing for almost two years, guess I should of tried it out first. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
Hope it works on the 19 cause I have one too. What if I added a piece of wood or those plastic blocks if I need more height ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:14 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Livermore, California
Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Posts: 68
Two thumbs up from me.

A Trailer Aid has worked fine for raising one wheel at a time off the ground for adjusting brakes on our 21'. Seemed plenty high for changing a tire too, although I haven't needed to try that yet. It is much easier to use than a jack, and seems much more stable. The wheels on the other side were carefully chocked to prevent any rolling.

If you need higher, there is also the Trailer Aid Plus that is rated for 5.5" lift, versus 4.5" for the standard Trailer Aid.
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:16 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 12,061
The website says that the lift is 4.5", but I suspect that this is simply the thickness at the middle; since the tire and suspension of the good axle both compress more when carrying the full load of the trailer, the actual lift of the trailer will be less. The Amazon page says there is also a Trailer Aid Plus, which is an inch taller.

The 5.0TA (up to 2016 spec, anyway) is different from every other Escape in that it has a leaf-spring suspension, which includes a rocker between the suspensions of the two axles. That means that if you lift one wheel it goes up somewhat before starting to carry more of the load, and more lift is needed to pull the other tire off the ground. That's in comparison to the Torflex suspensions (of every other Escape, including the 19', 21', and 2017 5.0TA, which are the other tandems) which are completely independent.

Since the Trailer Aid is only useful for tandems, and leaf-spring suspensions are by far the more common style in any kind of trailer but especially tandems, it's a little surprising to me that it doesn't work well for a leaf-spring tandem trailer.

So, it's more likely to have enough lift with models other than the current 5.0TA, and even for that leaf-spring model, there is a taller Trailer Aid.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:22 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
AK snowbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southcentral & Mt Baker foothills, Alaska
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M. View Post
Two thumbs up from me.

A Trailer Aid has worked fine for raising one wheel at a time off the ground for adjusting brakes on our 21'. Seemed plenty high for changing a tire too, although I haven't needed to try that yet. It is much easier to use than a jack, and seems much more stable. The wheels on the other side were carefully chocked to prevent any rolling.

If you need higher, there is also the Trailer Aid Plus that is rated for 5.5" lift, versus 4.5" for the standard Trailer Aid.
I wonder if has anything to do with raising the height of the 5th wheel for the higher trucks? Mine did not even come close, the tire I was working on never left the ground, interesting. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:27 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
AK snowbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southcentral & Mt Baker foothills, Alaska
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The website says that the lift is 4.5", but I suspect that this is simply the thickness at the middle; since the tire and suspension of the good axle both compress more when carrying the full load of the trailer, the actual lift of the trailer will be less. The Amazon page says there is also a Trailer Aid Plus, which is an inch taller.

The 5.0TA (up to 2016 spec, anyway) is different from every other Escape in that it has a leaf-spring suspension, which includes a rocker between the suspensions of the two axles. That means that if you lift one wheel it goes up somewhat before starting to carry more of the load, and more lift is needed to pull the other tire off the ground. That's in comparison to the Torflex suspensions (of every other Escape, including the 19', 21', and 2017 5.0TA, which are the other tandems) which are completely independent.

Since the Trailer Aid is only useful for tandems, and leaf-spring suspensions are by far the more common style in any kind of trailer but especially tandems, it's a little surprising to me that it doesn't work well for a leaf-spring tandem trailer.

So, it's more likely to have enough lift with models other than the current 5.0TA, and even for that leaf-spring model, there is a taller Trailer Aid.
Thanks Brian, I always thought that the 21 and 5.0 TA shared the same suspension. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are really, really fun!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:37 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 12,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
I wonder if has anything to do with raising the height of the 5th wheel for the higher trucks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
... I always thought that the 21 and 5.0 TA shared the same suspension.
Although the difference is not directly due to the trailer height (or the fifth-wheel hitch), matching truck height in the 5.0TA is indirectly the reason for the difference: Reace chose leaf-spring suspension for the 5.0TA to make it easier to change the suspension height, to fit different trucks. The 2017 5.0TA will use a spacer to change the height instead, and so the 21 and 5.0 TA will share the same suspension.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:46 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
AK snowbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southcentral & Mt Baker foothills, Alaska
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
OH man. I've got one of those trailer aids in a cabinet. Guess I should start hauling the aluminum racing jack again...
Donna, just looked that up, I hope your joking. Wouldn't a bottle jack pack easier? Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are awesome camp bikes.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #13
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 20,036
I used mine when I had a flat on BlackJack, worked fine. It has been carried in that front box for well over 4 years before it's first use and boy was I glad I had it. Also glad that Escape is going back to torsion on 2017/5.1, going to keep it with me....
__________________
Jim
"Never in doubt,..... often wrong!"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #14
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Donna, just looked that up, I hope your joking. Wouldn't a bottle jack pack easier? Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are awesome camp bikes.
Easier to pack, but not easier to use. I don't think the throw is long enough on any bottle jack I own. The racing jack goes up 18" with three pumps and I own it. Lightweight too since it's aluminum. I'm going to try the Trailer Aid first to see if there's something I can do to make it work. Extra blocks underneath like was mentioned in an earlier post? I carry bunches of lego blocks.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,443
Am surprised too it doesn't work on 5.0 TA. Is it a plus model? That's the one I have, but the regular one would've been enough for a 21.

Not sure the plastic blocks would work as a base as the whole thing would likely slide.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
AK snowbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southcentral & Mt Baker foothills, Alaska
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Am surprised too it doesn't work on 5.0 TA. Is it a plus model? That's the one I have, but the regular one would've been enough for a 21.

Not sure the plastic blocks would work as a base as the whole thing would likely slide.
Might have to give the plus model a try, in theory I really like the way they work. I'm curious to hear if any other 5.0 TA owners have had better luck.

Might be bringing the trailer out for Arctic Man, arcticman.com - Home
I'll post if the plus model works. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes at Arctic Man? Not a good idea.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 12,061
A floor jack (such as Donna's aluminum racing version) is substantially more stable than a bottle jack, and the cup on the end normally has a larger lifting surface, often with tabs to go around the frame rail and rubber in middle so it would stay in place better on the frame.

I have not carried a floor jack while towing, in part because my only light aluminum floor jack is too small. If I were towing with a pickup truck, and has a suitable jack, I would consider it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #18
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 20,036
I have carried one of these in my truck bed for 7 years, I hope I never need it. 1.5 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®
__________________
Jim
"Never in doubt,..... often wrong!"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
AK snowbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southcentral & Mt Baker foothills, Alaska
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have carried one of these in my truck bed for 7 years, I hope I never need it. 1.5 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®
Think I'll give the trailer aid plus a try. If that does not work, I"ll just use the trucks scissor jack. No flats (tires), in 38 years of driving, by posting this I bet I have increased my chance of getting a flat, (tire) this summer. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #20
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have carried one of these in my truck bed for 7 years, I hope I never need it. 1.5 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®
That's the exact jack I've got.
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×