Ultimate Camping Accessory - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Sounds crazy huh? No one was allowed to catch runoff such as rain or snow melt. Allowing small streams to catch water and become larger streams to be used else where. No water runs into the state of Colorado. Nebraska got most of the eastern flow from the Platte River going into "Big Mac." And when I bought my house there, part of the price included $25,000 for one water right, just to stay hooked up. While living there, talk of restricting growth came up frequently.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #62

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Water you gonna do?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Sounds crazy huh? No one was allowed to catch runoff such as rain or snow melt. Allowing small streams to catch water and become larger streams to be used else where. No water runs into the state of Colorado. Nebraska got most of the eastern flow from the Platte River going into "Big Mac." And when I bought my house there, part of the price included $25,000 for one water right, just to stay hooked up. While living there, talk of restricting growth came up frequently.
Same as it was in Utah where I grew up. There was quite a booming underground industry in selling rain catching equipment, even though it "technically" could not be installed or used. People I knew pretty much ignored the law. It's good to see that nowadays in most of Colorado you're not an outlaw for catching water from the sky.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #64

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Water you gonna do?
Still time to edit ?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #65

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:05 AM   #66

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
It also is irksome that we pay the same at campgrounds as those running ten times the electricity and water. It seems that we are subsidizing them. At least in a monthly or seasonal set-up, meters are often used.
I agree, but it is not cheap to equip each site with its own power meter, and it would be a substantial hassle (or take even more expensive equipment) to read each of them for every short-term stay. Sites at Nk'Mip (the location of the annual Escape rally) are metered, but the meters are only used for monthly customers.

I've never heard of water metering in a campground - it must not be economically viable. Until a few years ago, even many houses in the city of Calgary did not have water meters, and just paid a flat rate like a camper. According to a news report,
Quote:
Local studies show that metered customers use 60 per cent less water on average than customers on a flat rate because they are more conscious of where and how water is used, said the city.
If a typical house uses a dollar or two of water per day, I can't imagine how it would be worth metering water to campsites so the thrifty can pay a buck less for a night's stay than the wasteful, even if it would be more fair. Local conditions vary, of course.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #67

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Sorry... but this kind of nonsense gets my blood boiling. In my opinion, this is a horrible "ultimate camping accessory". It shows just how wasteful and extravagant some campers have become with resources at private and public campgrounds. I have noticed were more & more private campgrounds meter electricity at each campsite with good reason. Water will be next. The 40' class A motorhome with rain showerheads, twin AC, and multiple flat screens televisions all on pays the same for site usage as the 6' popup tent trailer camper. What's wrong with this picture?
My involvement as a volunteer with Texas Parks and Wildlife has been a real eye opener. Specifically helping to manage and maintain a state park near me.

I could see where that potable hot tub could strangely develop a large rip after the owners have gone to sleep.
Hi Dave,

I have a lot of respect for you because of the very useful info that you had posted that helped us in configing our 5.0 TA, including a PM or two. However, are you kidding us... This forum is living in "la la" land when it comes to the mind set of most RVer's in our generation. For 99% of all we have met, bigger is better. Screw the next generation, grandchildren & all.. We earned it & we're going to enjoy it! For that matter, the younger generation is even worse... They want it NOW & if the parents can afford it (or put it on credit)... it's all good to go! The best we have heard, and if we could have got a 100 bucks each time (would have paid for the trailer) was... Is your trailer ever "Cute".

So much for going "Greener" & the "Small Footprint"...

Ever your Cynic,
Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Still time to edit ?
One could Hope.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #69

Careful what you ask for. If the campgrounds meter water and power the rates will go up for everybody to pay for the infrastructure. Best to avoid serviced resort campgrounds.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #70

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yes, Brian, probably not worth meters everywhere but I was not suggesting them. Just observing that we pay the same as those using far more.

Of course, there are places that charge by size of RV which we appreciated, the few times we have seen that. Nothing to stop places from charging by RV size which, in effect, would charge by size of water tanks and amount of electricity used since they roughly correlate. I would be happy to see more places charging by RV length where we get a better deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree, but it is not cheap to equip each site with its own power meter, and it would be a substantial hassle (or take even more expensive equipment) to read each of them for every short-term stay. Sites at Nk'Mip (the location of the annual Escape rally) are metered, but the meters are only used for monthly customers.

I've never heard of water metering in a campground - it must not be economically viable. Until a few years ago, even many houses in the city of Calgary did not have water meters, and just paid a flat rate like a camper. According to a news report,

If a typical house uses a dollar or two of water per day, I can't imagine how it would be worth metering water to campsites so the thrifty can pay a buck less for a night's stay than the wasteful, even if it would be more fair. Local conditions vary, of course.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:27 AM   #71

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Overhere campground owners have found a simple solution in order to prevent overconsumption of electrical power....

Campgrounds just have 4-6 Amp circuit breakers in stead of 16 amps (which is the biggest value for 230V circuits.)

4 amps at 230V gives you a max of more or less 920 Watts, do not use your toaster or tea water heater overhere.

If that is too much wattage for you, there are quite a lot of campgrounds still offering 2 Amps.

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #72

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not sure how many Escape owners have been to Bermuda but they have a unique water infrastructure, all drinking water comes off the roofs. The homes have cisterns to store rain water for drinking. On an island it is the only source of potable water. A clean roof means clean water!! Bermuda - Water Conservation - Yabsta
Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #73

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
Overhere campground owners have found a simple solution in order to prevent overconsumption of electrical power....

Campgrounds just have 4-6 Amp circuit breakers in stead of 16 amps (which is the biggest value for 230V circuits.)

4 amps at 230V gives you a max of more or less 920 Watts, do not use your toaster or tea water heater overhere.

If that is too much wattage for you, there are quite a lot of campgrounds still offering 2 Amps.

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne
That is an interesting concept. If the campground supplied a proprietary breaker for their pedestals, and had ones of varying amperage available, and you paid a certain cost dependant upon the size of breaker you got, you could more easily set up a user pay fee. Just charge a set fee dependant on site size, then if you want a 4 amp breaker, it is $5/day. A 30 amp breaker would be $25/day, or something along that line. If you wanted to not bother hooking up to the grid at all, no surcharge to your camp fees.

What does a furnace fan pull for amperage? That, and the water pump are my only bigger draws. I do use electrical on my water heater if available, but I would forego that for cheaper campsite fees.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #74

Down this way, you must have air conditioning 24/7 during the summer months of June, July, August, and September. That just about rules out Walmart this time of the year for those of you who love a security challege. Most campgrounds are wired for 30 & 50 amp service. The private RV parks are more frequently using the term "resort" in their business model. Having an electric meter at each site, a pool, and club house. Charging $40 or $50 a night with a large pull through and discouraging small RV's and tent campers.
As I see it, the state and national parks are behind the 8 ball with shrinking budgets, staff, repairs, and upgrades. Utility usage is at the mercy of the camper with some engineered conservation measures such as hand and shower faucets that cannot be left on and tightly controlled heat and lighting of buildings. It seems that we in America are letting our treasured parks and historical sites deteriorate for other interests, foreign and domestic. While some interesting or important historical sites have been privatized to in sure their continued existence. Which means they can control when, how, who, and how much your going to pay to visit.
I have been told that many Texas state parks could not exist without volunteers that give their time and talent behind the scenes. The money and resources are simply not there. I invite you to promote conservation, pickup that empty water bottle, add to the donation box, and thank your park staffs, complimenting them when you see good management in place.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #75

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What does a furnace fan pull for amperage? That, and the water pump are my only bigger draws.
If it's the same as mine

Furnace blower only, 2A
Once it lights, 3.8A, no idea why.
Pump, 1.9A
Old 08-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #76

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ah, so, getting back on topic: in Texas, the Ultimate Camping Necessity would be... air conditioning.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #77

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure how many Escape owners have been to Bermuda but they have a unique water infrastructure, all drinking water comes off the roofs. The homes have cisterns to store rain water for drinking. On an island it is the only source of potable water. A clean roof means clean water!! Bermuda - Water Conservation - Yabsta
I've seen those multi-million dollar homes in Bermuda with the white roofs that catch every single drop of water they can. Isn't it interesting the lengths folks will go to when all the money in the world can't buy them an easier solution to their problems?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #78

Yes Myron... we have been near 100 for weeks with sparse rain. But our high humidity keeps your skin "O So Soft" and you never wrinkle as you age. HO-RAA
It's a great time to visit the Sangrede Christo mountain range in NM where RV refrigerators work well.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #79

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Down this way, you must have air conditioning 24/7 during the summer months of June, July, August, and September. That just about rules out Walmart this time of the year for those of you who love a security challege. ...
And up here in our area of Canada, it is quite pleasant in June through September, but often too cold to use a camper in months of November through April. Why don't you come up and visit us during your summer and we will come visit you during our winter?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #80

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
After decades of backpacking and car/tent camping, an Escape 19 seems adequately decadent. I'll pass on the hot tub.

I felt guilty for ordering an oven strictly so my wife can have her brownies (I'll get over it).
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote