Ultimate Camping Accessory - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #81
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Down this way, you must have air conditioning 24/7 during the summer months of June, July, August, and September. That just about rules out Walmart this time of the year for those of you who love a security challege. Most campgrounds are wired for 30 & 50 amp service. The private RV parks are more frequently using the term "resort" in their business model. Having an electric meter at each site, a pool, and club house. Charging $40 or $50 a night with a large pull through and discouraging small RV's and tent campers.
As I see it, the state and national parks are behind the 8 ball with shrinking budgets, staff, repairs, and upgrades. Utility usage is at the mercy of the camper with some engineered conservation measures such as hand and shower faucets that cannot be left on and tightly controlled heat and lighting of buildings. It seems that we in America are letting our treasured parks and historical sites deteriorate for other interests, foreign and domestic. While some interesting or important historical sites have been privatized to in sure their continued existence. Which means they can control when, how, who, and how much your going to pay to visit.
I have been told that many Texas state parks could not exist without volunteers that give their time and talent behind the scenes. The money and resources are simply not there. I invite you to promote conservation, pickup that empty water bottle, add to the donation box, and thank your park staffs, complimenting them when you see good management in place.
This is a spot on post Dave.

You're right. Our priorities are totally messed up. Spending so much on social programs at the cost of our national treasures is short sighted and foolish. You're also right that many State Parks could not function without the work of volunteers. I would encourage those who have the spare time to get involved in the 'friends of' programs or whatever they are called in your area. It usually only involves working one week per year at the particular park. You camp for free, the park is almost empty, you have the run of the place, and they often have free pot luck or group provided meals. Best part is the camaraderie and meeting great new people who want to improve and preserve our park system.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I would love that Dave. Thanks for the invite. But I will be getting the better part of that deal. Your scenery is much more gorgeous and inviting. We have not visited Alberta yet. MapQuest shows 2150mi one way to Calvary. I believe it is on our bucket list while visiting Glacier NP.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #83

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Hi Robert,
We spend on average a day a week while not traveling. I generally don't camp on location and bring a lunch. My reward is the satisfaction of giving back to Texas Parks and Wildlife for a lifetime of enjoyment. We have become fond of the park staff over here @ Lake Somerville. Most think I'm crazy doing what they get paid to do. Seeing how politics effect our state park system and the day to day challenges is an eye opener. Most visitors are great but we do get an occasional group who hack live campsite trees, lay waste to bathrooms, trash campsites, and disturb others.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote