Ultimate Camping Accessory - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Ultimate Camping Accessory

This portable hot tub could change the way you go camping - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Uh... Is this really being marketed in California? No wonder you folks have a water shortage!
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Uh... Is this really being marketed in California? No wonder you folks have a water shortage!
Yeah, what I thought too. 225 gallons of water isn't always readily available. Cool though. Sitting next to your Escape in a hot tub under the stars with a nice glass of wine? I can think of worse things to do.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Sorry... but this kind of nonsense gets my blood boiling. In my opinion, this is a horrible "ultimate camping accessory". It shows just how wasteful and extravagant some campers have become with resources at private and public campgrounds. I have noticed were more & more private campgrounds meter electricity at each campsite with good reason. Water will be next. The 40' class A motorhome with rain showerheads, twin AC, and multiple flat screens televisions all on pays the same for site usage as the 6' popup tent trailer camper. What's wrong with this picture?
My involvement as a volunteer with Texas Parks and Wildlife has been a real eye opener. Specifically helping to manage and maintain a state park near me.

I could see where that potable hot tub could strangely develop a large rip after the owners have gone to sleep.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I remember in Montana 2 years ago it was a hot night and everyone in the campground was running their A/C, the campground was blowing breakers all night because most of the people had these monstor units with multiple ac units going all their lights and what seemed like every possible elcectrical device they had. Then there was us , who just wanted to run a small little ac unit and get some sleep. I felt bad for the guy running the place because he wasn't getting any cooperation from these people. He eventually ran a power cord from the main office to our trailer thankfully.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Sorry... but this kind of nonsense gets my blood boiling. In my opinion, this is a horrible "ultimate camping accessory". It shows just how wasteful and extravagant some campers have become with resources at private and public campgrounds. I have noticed were more & more private campgrounds meter electricity at each campsite with good reason. Water will be next. The 40' class A motorhome with rain showerheads, twin AC, and multiple flat screens televisions all on pays the same for site usage as the 6' popup tent trailer camper. What's wrong with this picture?
My involvement as a volunteer with Texas Parks and Wildlife has been a real eye opener. Specifically helping to manage and maintain a state park near me.

I could see where that potable hot tub could strangely develop a large rip after the owners have gone to sleep.
Lighten up dude and put your blood pressure on simmer. It's a novelty item.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Site Team

I'm as much of a conservationist as anyone Dave, and am a 'friend of Garner'. We've volunteered during off season to clean up and repair state park campgrounds as well. It angers me too when people waste natural resources and harm campgrounds. But, this is a novelty item, and I see nothing wrong with it if you are using it in a private park or on your own property where potable water supply isn't really a problem. If you think about it, taking a bath at home is the same thing. The water all has to come from somewhere.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post

David, I posted this because it is pretty crazy sometimes seeing what is being offered for camping. Your ranting about wasteful campers is amusing because it is all a matter of perspective. A backpacker who carries their camping gear on their back may say you are very extravagant with your 5.0 Fifth Wheel rig pulled by a 3/4 Ton V-8 Truck. "Extravagant" is a matter of perspective. This is all in fun.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Potable water is always a problem, someplace in the world. Mankind is famous for justifying the waste of natural resources. Just think, the California drought would disappear if California eliminated all the private swimming pools, hot tubs, and golf course irrigation within the state. Someday we all could see the elimination of "conspicuous consumption" as it is called in economic circles.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #10

We (two of us) wouldn't use anything close to 250 gallons on water camping in a month. There was a time when owners of small fiberglass trailers took pride in camping conservation. They would have screamed in mass in a forum at this hot tub idea. I am not sure any more and no conservationist or tree hugger I know would think of this as acceptable. I ask you..Is it OK to arrive and camp in a drought stricken region and waste such quantities of water with a novelty item? No...not if you have any consideration for the good of everyone. Last I heard, your in stage 3 water restrictions over there in San Antonio. Fresh, drinkable water is a fighting issue for most of the southern and western states today. Lack of water in California will force it's residents to change their wasteful ways or relocate to states like Minnesota followed by many others with wasteful habits. Campgrounds in some regions may no longer be able to supply power and water and perhaps become overwhelmed by the fire danger and be forced to close. That seems crazy but possible in our current weather patterns.
I am not going to lighten up for my opinion and position on this one.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just think, the California drought would disappear if California eliminated all the private swimming pools, hot tubs, and golf course irrigation within the state.
I was in Santa Cruz 3 weeks ago. They've pretty much done most of that already. The drought is pretty severe. I feel for California right now. They need rain.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've got no problem with a good discussion.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
David, I posted this because it is pretty crazy sometimes seeing what is being offered for camping. Your ranting about wasteful campers is amusing because it is all a matter of perspective. A backpacker who carries their camping gear on their back may say you are very extravagant with your 5.0 Fifth Wheel rig pulled by a 3/4 Ton V-8 Truck. "Extravagant" is a matter of perspective. This is all in fun.

Couldn't agree more!!!!
Dave you're no longer pulling a small fiberglass trailer and you drive a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. You may conserve on water but you use a lot of fuel. Lots of pollution.
Sorry but that kind of nonsense probably gets some peoples blood boiling.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
People who backpack often do so because they can. They are likely to be young and in good shape. And, I am guessing that many do not have the money to buy an RV. The age groups owning RVs vs. backpacking would be two different ones. Many of those who are in RVs used to backpack and tent. Some still do a little maybe. But those are generally different groups of people by physical ability and income.

The same is probably true of RVs. While we are so much better with our smaller lightweight trailers and less gas-guzzling, how much is a matter of income? If you had $200,000 lying around to buy an RV, would you have an Escape? Many people probably cannot answer that truthfully. And would you be doing the same if you were older.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #15

Floating Cloud you are making a lot of assumptions here.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
The only thing that really bugs me is when someone cuts through my campsite and doesn't pour me a glass of wine.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #17

When I was younger, I used to backpack hike/camp and swear off RV camping. That was before I got too old to sleep on hard, cold, hot, or wet ground. I hear your argument about my style of camping now. Not much defense in this camp! But I feel I can still be conservative especially surrounded by 35' or 40' trailers and motor homes. Our 5.0 SA is as big as it gets period! My 9 year old truck is used exclusively for towing our RV and other things I need power and torque for. It gets better towing fuel economy with the 5.0 in tow than most towing imports. It has a comfortable back seat to haul my tree hugger friends while we are out camping together. And like my microwave/generator, they wouldn't have one but they sure don't mind using it in the woods.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I had all the money in the world, I'd buy a $600,000 motorhome and push it off a cliff.
I'm camping, not parking.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I will offer my observations of when I hiked the Berg Lake trail @ Mount Robson this summer. Its a busy trail @ the Hargraves Cabin there are some where between 20 and 30 tent pads, I would guess the avergae age up there was well over 30. I am 38 and found lots and I mean lots who were considerably older that me up there. So I suspect the age thing isn't really that much of a factor.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #20

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Camping accessory

I guess I'll have to call my trailer a parker now. Nancy already calls her self a Glamper, as in glamour camping complete with three chandeliers, oops I mean glamour parking. Seriously I gave up camping when I quit boy scouts and we now just travel with our own bed and a place for the dog to sleep.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote