Water Hoses - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #41

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
They don't last - light and really great for a week then they rip open
Had mine for over two years, not one issue. Pressure is left on a lot, when i forget to turn spigot off. great hose, cannot use as a potable water source, Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
No one has mentioned these hoses .... the ones advertised on TV that start out as a small hand full ball and grow (I think ) as water pressure increases to perhaps 50 feet. Seems like an ideal hose for RV or boat. The hose feels like its made from some sort of material..... about $20.00

I have never owned one so don't know what they are like or if they leave a taste to the water.

I'm sure someone here has done extensive testing .... right?
We have always understood for your fresh water only use a RV hose it is because of the material used so it is safe for drinking water . The one you use for sewer hose doesn't matter but we use tha Apex no kink RV hose for that too . We mark hose Sewer and keep them separate
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
No one has mentioned these hoses .... the ones advertised on TV that start out as a small hand full ball and grow (I think ) as water pressure increases to perhaps 50 feet.
The hose feels like its made from some sort of material..... about $20.00
I assume that you mean it feels like it is made from some sort of fabric... and yes, it is a fabric outer cover with an elastomeric (stretchy solid material) inner tube. The inner tube expands like a balloon under pressure, but it doesn't just blow up like a balloon because the fabric stops it. For this to work, there must be back-pressure due to some sort of restriction on the outlet, so it works if you are using a nozzle or forcing water into your RV's tank, but if flow is relatively unrestricted there's nothing to keep the hose expanded.

When you're done with it, you can turn off the supply, leave the end open, and it spits out its contents as it shrinks, so not much water sits in it between uses. That also means that when it is still under pressure and the nozzle or whatever on the end is closed, it's awkwardly stiff and springy.

These things are sold mostly with other gimmicky products. I saw one demostrated at a booth in the commercial area at a local fair, and the guy was saying that it couldn't be kinked. I think it was X Hose, but I'm not sure. He made a show of trying to bend it tight enough to kink, but it kept flowing. I asked to see it, kinked it shut, and said "no thanks"... and I'm not particularly strong. I don't care if it can be kinked by extreme abuse - I just won't buy anything being sold so fraudulently.

The X Hose web page doesn't make any claim about being safe for drinking water.

I do think the design might be great for a hose to be used only occasionally which needs to be stored very compactly; however, the various flat hoses would work for that, too. The flat hose sold by Home Hardware claims to be drinking water safe.

It does have potential to freak out people who are paranoid about snakes, if you're into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Left the water pressure on one for a day, never shrank back up after that.
Good to know! And not surprising.

Of course, there are probably multiple brands of the same general expanding design. Home Hardware alone has at least two brands, of different construction.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Fellow Canucks: got a princess auto RV water hose the other month and got around to using it on the last trip. It's claim to fame was brass fittings on both ends of the hose, white colour with I think a blue accent. It was under $20 for a 25' so I grabbed it.

It kinks like crazy and leaves a strong chemical taste/smell even after 2-3 days of use. I can handle the chemical tasting water but its the kinking that gets me. I guess I shouldn't assume anything about RV hoses.

Sorry, can't find info on the website so its likely a one-off special purchase?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: BCnomad... That sounds really "Kinky". If its a hose, power cord, ball of twine, or a fishing reel... no matter how much it cost, all I have to do is look at it and voila... its a mess!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Thanks for the laugh Alf. I was suckered by the shiny brass under the way-to-bright store lighting.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I bought one of their supposedly higher quality hoses for household use and the fittings leak like a sieve. Love Princess Auto, but sometimes the stuff turns out to be crap. I've never noticed any issues with the white one I bought from CW.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too like Princess auto, and have bought many things there. You do have to be cautious, especially with their store brand, and other no-name brands, as the quality is at the same level as the cost......low.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #49
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I have this one and so far, so good. No leaks:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-22833-Pr...o+premium+hose
Old 09-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
another vote for the Camco premium....