Weber 6558 Griddle for Q1000/Q1200 Grills - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Weber 6558 Griddle for Q1000/Q1200 Grills

I have the Weber Q1000 grill and will convert it to use with the Exterior Propane Quick Connect. Weber sells a half size Griddle for it. It's the Weber 6558 Griddle and am looking for comments and opinions about it's usefulness and performance for cooking eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc. It is not very big as it only covers half the available grilling surface but as we mostly cook for two that shouldn't be an issue.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Mike I have the same Weber BBQ and ordered some grill mats off Amazon and they work not to bad for eggs, bacon etc. They also clean up quite easy and are inexpensive.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
I have the Weber Q1000 grill and will convert it to use with the Exterior Propane Quick Connect. Weber sells a half size Griddle for it. It's the Weber 6558 Griddle and am looking for comments and opinions about it's usefulness and performance for cooking eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc. It is not very big as it only covers half the available grilling surface but as we mostly cook for two that shouldn't be an issue.
This exact topic was covered less than a week ago on a thread entitled "Portable Gas Grill Recommendations." Suggest you read the later posts on that thread.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
We purchased the grill griddle for our Weber . You don't have a lot of room for sure . It is cast iron which is nice . Say I wanted to cook up a pk of bacon that can be a problem for the griddle . Then I get out the old Coleman stove with the griddle for it and can cook the whole package of bacon . If you just cooking for 2 and know it's limitations it's ok . Just not a lot of cooking room . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Mike I have the same Weber BBQ and ordered some grill mats off Amazon and they work not to bad for eggs, bacon etc. They also clean up quite easy and are inexpensive.

Cheers
Doug
Thanks Doug, will look into using them as they are much more economical as the Griddle is a list pricy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
This exact topic was covered less than a week ago on a thread entitled "Portable Gas Grill Recommendations." Suggest you read the later posts on that thread.
Thanks for the link, lots of good info. I had searched to see if there was a previous thread on the subject but failed to find it because my search terms where to specific. I need to use more generic terms next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We purchased the grill griddle for our Weber . You don't have a lot of room for sure . It is cast iron which is nice . Say I wanted to cook up a pk of bacon that can be a problem for the griddle . Then I get out the old Coleman stove with the griddle for it and can cook the whole package of bacon . If you just cooking for 2 and know it's limitations it's ok . Just not a lot of cooking room . Pat
Appreciate the reply, Pat. Glad to get some feedback from someone with 1st hand experience with the griddle.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Discussion starts here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post193713
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks Doug, will look into using them as they are much more economical as the Griddle is a list pricy.

Thanks for the link, lots of good info. I had searched to see if there was a previous thread on the subject but failed to find it because my search terms where to specific. I need to use more generic terms next time.

Appreciate the reply, Pat. Glad to get some feedback from someone with 1st hand experience with the griddle.
Mike, I like my griddle and as has been stated, even though it is on the smallish side, it will suffice for two. I actually bought it so I could eliminate the Coleman type stove I had, which I only used when I needed a griddle. I find that with the addition of the new griddle, I can cook just about anything on the grill. Then, after eliminating the Coleman, I later bought a Camp Chef Ranger II to use with the low pressure QD. I used it once or twice, but it remains at home as I decided it wasn't worth taking (bulky plus unnecessary weight) along for what little I used it. Instead of it, I have an induction single burner hot plate and a single burner butane stove that has an adapter so it can use a disposable 1lb propane tank. That way I have something that works on or off grid, and the two of them fit in less space than the Ranger II. Still, we use the grill for 85% of the cooking and the microwave for 10%, so you can see how often either of the one burner appliances are used.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #8

Quote:

Cheers
Doug
Doug what are grill mats? Pat
Old 04-28-2017, 10:00 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Thin, flexible, non stick and heat resistant mat you put on the grill grate. We use them whenever we have to use a public grill at a park. That way you don't have to clean it before cooking on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2017, 10:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Weber 6558 Griddle for Q1000/Q1200 Grills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Doug what are grill mats? Pat
Hi Pat

These are the ones I bought, they are just a thin mat that you put on the grill which are non stick and you can cook anything on them. They work great for heavily sauced things too .

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00QBAYMQ6/...I16ZBDSZ4CL4LW

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Thin, flexible, non stick and heat resistant mat you put on the grill grate. We use them whenever we have to use a public grill at a park. That way you don't have to clean it before cooking on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Who know ! Learn something new everyday ! Pat
Old 04-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi Pat

These are the ones I bought, they are just a thin mat that you put on the grill which are non stick and you can cook anything on them. They work great for heavily sauced things too .

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00QBAYMQ6/...I16ZBDSZ4CL4LW

Cheers
Doug
Doug Thankyou I bookmarked . Pat
Old 04-29-2017, 05:17 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you prefer cooking on a flat grill, I just got one of these for less than $100
https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Po...ne+grill&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
81FBv4GKnrL._SL1000_.jpg  
Old 04-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you prefer cooking on a flat grill, I just got one of these for less than $100
https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Po...ne+grill&psc=1
While the Blackstone might be a fine griddle, it:
1. Costs twice as much as the Weber griddle in question,
2. Weighs a whole lot more than the Weber griddle,
3. Requires more storage space than the Weber griddle.
The Weber griddle can be stored/transported inside the Weber grill placed atop the grills's grates. For me, the choice between these two is a no-brainer. YMMV.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:00 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What I meant was in lieu of the weber grill entirely. Cook entirely on the griddle.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What I meant was in lieu of the weber grill entirely. Cook entirely on the griddle.
Jim, I can understand your thinking. I kind of like the fat from burgers or steaks dripping down and creating smoke to flavor the meat, and to get the fat away from the meat. I have also "roasted" a whole chicken in the grill; not sure that could be done on a griddle. I just believe the grill with a griddle is a whole lot more versatile than a griddle alone. And the three points I made in my last post are true, if you are going to have both. Again, other people's mileage may vary.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Another alternative that provides lots of flexibility is the Coleman Grill/Stove. I carry it along with a griddle replacement for the grill. While it won't feed a family, it works great for one or two.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Jim, I can understand your thinking. I kind of like the fat from burgers or steaks dripping down and creating smoke to flavor the meat, and to get the fat away from the meat. I have also "roasted" a whole chicken in the grill; not sure that could be done on a griddle. I just believe the grill with a griddle is a whole lot more versatile than a griddle alone. And the three points I made in my last post are true, if you are going to have both. Again, other people's mileage may vary.
We too either use a griddle on the BBQ, or a pan on the stove. While a dedicated flat grill would work fine, no need to carry extra stuff, and the BBQ and stove are definitely coming along.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote