Wide Tread Ladder - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2017, 09:36 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Wide Tread Ladder

This ladder was mentioned on another thread, but thought I would start a separate thread on it so it stands out.

We got this ladder last week or so. Finally used it yesterday to wash the trailer. As well as today to wax the roof.

Love it! It has 3" wide treads. While parts of my feet are a bit tender, it's nothing like how they were with a regular, narrow tread, ladder. I can actually walk around afterwards. I felt safer on the ladder due to the treads. (And yes, I did have Dirk out there with me, making sure I didn't tilt the ladder - it's not level around the trailer.)

Anyway, I fully recommend this ladder to anyone that is looking for a wider tread. They also offer a 6' high, but I didn't think that would be high enough. Nope, wouldn't have been.

Cosco Signature Series 8 ft. Premium Aluminum Step Ladder-2081AABLD - The Home Depot
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Glad it works for you. I still like my Little Giant better because the rear leg is almost vertical and can be placed almost touching the trailer side. This allows me to work facing the trailer, not working sideways where there's a chance that the ladder would kick out from under me if I reach to the center. I'm kneeling on a padded top step that I made for that purpose.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0004_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Glad it works for you. I still like my Little Giant better because the rear leg is almost vertical and can be placed almost touching the trailer side. This allows me to work facing the trailer, not working sideways where there's a chance that the ladder would kick out from under me if I reach to the center. I'm kneeling on a padded top step that I made for that purpose.

Ron
Sorry Laura I have to agree with Ron on this one . I can't tell you how many times the "A" frame dumped me on the ground . Most of the time I fell a good 6 feet and didn't break anything . Lucky but for how long ? The little Giant yes skinny steps ,but like Ron's picture , much safer getting to our roofs . I just have to wear good shoe's . PT
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:21 AM   #4

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I can see the advantages, but don't those Little Giants weigh a ton?
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I can see the advantages, but don't those Little Giants weigh a ton?
One of the best things about the Little Giant is there are wheels . You can move it before you set up pretty easy . Besides getting to the roof on the trailer ,my next favorite use is to trim some bushes that grow pretty tall on top of a block wall . Our properties are tiered . The ladder makes many configurations including the A frame if needed . Ended up selling the 8 ft and 6 ft A frames after buying this ladder . When set up the ladder is very stable . Looking at Ron on top of his . You can never do that with a A frame . We don't find ladder heavy . Pat
Old 07-31-2017, 11:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Just bought one and love it, it is very stable, I just sold my 8foot fiberglass A frame.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
This ladder was mentioned on another thread, but thought I would start a separate thread on it so it stands out.

We got this ladder last week or so. Finally used it yesterday to wash the trailer. As well as today to wax the roof.

Love it! It has 3" wide treads. While parts of my feet are a bit tender, it's nothing like how they were with a regular, narrow tread, ladder. I can actually walk around afterwards. I felt safer on the ladder due to the treads. (And yes, I did have Dirk out there with me, making sure I didn't tilt the ladder - it's not level around the trailer.)

Anyway, I fully recommend this ladder to anyone that is looking for a wider tread. They also offer a 6' high, but I didn't think that would be high enough. Nope, wouldn't have been.

Cosco Signature Series 8 ft. Premium Aluminum Step Ladder-2081AABLD - The Home Depot
That is an OK ladder for use at home, but it doesn't fold up enough for easy traveling. I stored a 5' folding ladder (GP Logistics) in a 5" fence post under the rear of my Escape 17. I'll get a longer version of their 2 sided ladder for the new 21.

They are not wide tread, but very sturdy, and you can take them with you.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I have a 4 ft , 6 ft , 8 ft ,10 ft and 24 ft fiberglass ladders.
They are commercial grade and the same type of ladders that I used when working construction. I have never found them to be unstable.
When you work off a ladder 8 hours a day for weeks on end the wider steps make these ladder much more comfortable with less strain on your feet and legs especially when you have to carry a load up the ladder and then hold the load over your head .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have a 4 ft , 6 ft , 8 ft ,10 ft and 24 ft fiberglass ladders.
They are commercial grade and the same type of ladders that I used when working construction. I have never found them to be unstable.
When you work off a ladder 8 hours a day for weeks on end the wider steps make these ladder much more comfortable with less strain on your feet and legs especially when you have to carry a load up the ladder and then hold the load over your head .
Totally understand where you are coming from . Have many ladders except no longer need the 6 ft or 8 ft . The trades are getting the Little Giants now because of their many configurations . Understand why you want fiberglass especially if you are doing electrical work . Because we need a ladder that will get in close to our trailer roof and still be stable the Little Giant fits the bill . Actually a tradesman sold me on the ladder when I was looking at it at the store . Working sideways is not very comfortable and the ladder can fall. A frame ladders put you too far away from the business you need to accomplish on the roof . My brother first years ago bought one and I didn't see the value in it. Then Ron posted the advantage for working on our trailers . So I took a better look and was sold . I never needed to do electrical so my ladders have always been aluminum. I found fiberglass very heavy , but I know why it is your ladder . Pat
Old 07-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Kind of fun seeing all the different ladders folks use. Never thought I'd be the least bit interested in ladders until I realized I needed to get to the roof of that trailer.

I'll take the wide tread ladder over the ease of hauling it with me. Of course I have a house to store it in and I'm not hauling it around with me in the vehicle and/or trailer. Yeah, then it wouldn't work.

But I like being able to easily walk after washing the trailer and this ladder makes that possible.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I find this stable.
Attached Thumbnails
Ladder cushions.jpg  
Old 07-31-2017, 01:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Totally understand where you are coming from . Have many ladders except no longer need the 6 ft or 8 ft . The trades are getting the Little Giants now because of their many configurations . Understand why you want fiberglass especially if you are doing electrical work . Because we need a ladder that will get in close to our trailer roof and still be stable the Little Giant fits the bill . Actually a tradesman sold me on the ladder when I was looking at it at the store . Working sideways is not very comfortable and the ladder can fall. A frame ladders put you too far away from the business you need to accomplish on the roof . My brother first years ago bought one and I didn't see the value in it. Then Ron posted the advantage for working on our trailers . So I took a better look and was sold . I never needed to do electrical so my ladders have always been aluminum. I found fiberglass very heavy , but I know why it is your ladder . Pat
Your correct , electricians use fiberglass or wood ladders because of safety IE They are non conductive
It's bad enough working 120 or 240 or 480 VAC hot off a ladder and and working off an aluminum ladder would be just plain stupid.
I was given several of my fiberglass ladders as a parting gift of sorts when I retired.
Most people go to HD or Lowe's or Menards and buy the cheapest residential rated ladder and then go home and stand on the top of the ladder and end of falling . There is a huge difference in strength, quality and stability with an industrial rated ladder.
I would rather carry a ladder that is heavy then have a ladder collapse when I'm 10 to 20 ft in the air.
I was an OSHA instructor for over 15 years and taught ladder safety.
Most homeowners do not follow ladder safety and the result is many get injured.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:

I have this step-Ladder in the 6' version and it is not a typical A-Frame. The rear legs are almost vertical and the top rung is very close to the side of the trailer. The standing platform, above the last 3" rung, is extremely comfortable to stand on and puts you right next to the side wall, just like Ron's Little Giant.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Kind of fun seeing all the different ladders folks use. Never thought I'd be the least bit interested in ladders until I realized I needed to get to the roof of that trailer.

I'll take the wide tread ladder over the ease of hauling it with me. Of course I have a house to store it in and I'm not hauling it around with me in the vehicle and/or trailer. Yeah, then it wouldn't work.

But I like being able to easily walk after washing the trailer and this ladder makes that possible.
Hey Laura lot's of opinions here . You found something that works for you just be careful . The rule in our house for couple of years no ladder climbing unless someone else is here . Pat
Old 07-31-2017, 04:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Your correct , electricians use fiberglass or wood ladders because of safety IE They are non conductive
It's bad enough working 120 or 240 or 480 VAC hot off a ladder and and working off an aluminum ladder would be just plain stupid.
I was given several of my fiberglass ladders as a parting gift of sorts when I retired.
Most people go to HD or Lowe's or Menards and buy the cheapest residential rated ladder and then go home and stand on the top of the ladder and end of falling . There is a huge difference in strength, quality and stability with an industrial rated ladder.
I would rather carry a ladder that is heavy then have a ladder collapse when I'm 10 to 20 ft in the air.
I was an OSHA instructor for over 15 years and taught ladder safety.
Most homeowners do not follow ladder safety and the result is many get injured.
I knew you must do electrical . My problem falling was not paying attention when I was going down . Sometimes being in a hurry and making sure ladder was stable . You are right about different quality in ladders . This Little Giant is a pretty neat ladder though . But you need the Fiberglass or wood for your work . Pat
Old 07-31-2017, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hey Laura lot's of opinions here . You found something that works for you just be careful . The rule in our house for couple of years no ladder climbing unless someone else is here . Pat
ALWAYS!!!! Dirk is right there to hold the ladder when I use it. Same with when he uses it.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
ALWAYS!!!! Dirk is right there to hold the ladder when I use it. Same with when he uses it.
Ok now I can relax . Good practice. Pat