19' or 21' Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
19' or 21' Escape

Currently, we own a 2016 19' Escape. We are considering changing to a 21' with the new body, windows, etc. We are interested in input from other Escape owners about this topic. Our TV is a Toyota Sequoia with a 5.7 engine, so we should be able to handle the increased weight. Still, the towing experience with the longer, wider, heavier model must have some issues (drawbacks).

Three other topics we are interested in hearing about are the 21' bed pros and cons, the placement of the dinette in the back of the 21' instead of the 19's front position, and the bathroom differences. Please, also feel free to weigh in on any other thoughts about these two trailers. We just finished a 30 day trip in our 19' and had a wonderful experience both in comfort and safety while driving in a variety of situations (100+ temps), urban city traffic (San Francisco), mountain passes, and high winds, so as we contemplate this change it is basically, we believe, a win-win situation as we are very pleased with our 19' and are uninterested in anything but another Escape trailer.

Thanks,
Bob and Marilyn
aka Bob in Bend
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #2

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
We live in Lincoln Nebraska and have a 2016 21'. The closest Escape for us to look at in 2015 was a 19' in Omaha (about an hour away). We put the call in to ETI and down payment as we drove back home. Over the next week or two we started reading older threads about 19' vs 21'. In the end, we went with the 21' sight unseen due to more overall room, more counter space and the rear dinette. We've been to several campgrounds when the weather is less than ideal and its nice to sit and look out the rear window as we enjoy a meal or games. Once we picked up the 21' at ETI, we were happy with our decision as we got to look at all the models.

As with anything, there are trade offs. I do like the entering to the dinette area first (like the 19') versus the bed. Also, the 21' bed takes a little getting used to since there is only one window nearby (standard). I found the off center, optional front window visually weird, plus we wanted the shelf above the bed so we did not go with the extra window. I imagine the 19' bed to be much better for ventilation. I will say that the extra 6" width difference doesn't seem that big a deal since we are not large folk, have small dogs and we can scootch up to the walls.

If I already had a 19', I don't think I'd feel the need "upgrade" to a 21 but that's just me. As Donna says: YMMV!
Old 06-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 19'
I've seen a number of threads on this topic in the time since we researched and bought a 2015 edition '19 Escape. You have hit on the essential differences - dinette location, bathroom size, and such. We select sites where we can back up to the view, and in such sites we are comfortable sitting on the bed with TV trays nearby for books and snacks. One of us sits against the wall adjacent to the refrigerator (with pillows for comfort), and one has the wall near the kitchen. In sites where the view is to the front, we switch to sitting at the dinette. The flexibility this offers is beyond any trailer we have ever seen. We love our 19'.
Dave Rosebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having owned both models here are my observations. The bath in the 21 is more spacious, but at the sacrifice of the bed. where do you spend more time? There are more windows in the 19. the 19 is a bit narrower than the 21 and weights about 300 lbs less. My 21 was 500/3800 tongue and axle. My 19 tongue is 425 and axle still needs to be weighed. My gas mileage increased from 13.5 to 16 average towing, with the same truck. I found with more space available i filed it up. With less space I eliminate extras that I carried in the 21. The 19 underbed and dinette storage is more accessible than the 21 with the "U" option. The batteries in the 19 are located in the front storage box vs inside the 21 dinette. The stock refrigerator is smaller in the 19 if that matters, which it did not to us.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
I know you have a Sequoia for a TV so this wouldn't be an option unless you switched vehicles, but it sounds like if you do make a change in the future, the 5th wheel might be worth the upgrade. We work on the road so having the dinette in the back with all the windows is wonderful and less claustrophobic. We have a normal 60x80 queen mattress, so no compromise on bed size at all - and there's also about 6 inches gap space on both sides between the mattress and the wall. Seems like nothing, but it is SO nice having that little extra arm dangly space/wiggle room and not being trapped against a wall!

We've stepped in the bathroom of the 19', and our bathroom has a few inches more headspace to it as well.

Just thought I'd mention in case you haven't considered it. But if you definitely want to stick with a bumper pull, the downgrade in bed size is the dealbreaker to me in the 21'. I can't handle sharing a full with my SO
TwoPlusLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
All points above pretty much cover the arguments.
If I had a classic 19 which I do, would not personally consider trading it in on 21. Not enough gains, and to me bigger isn't better.
One thing I've found is the maintenance, washing/waxing is all I can handle twice a year on the 19. I can just reach the middle of the roof on the 19 with the wash and polishing cloth and would not be able to do so on the 21 or the 5.0. Bigger ladders and older people are not a good mix, ask the ER. I don't want any additional trailer to have to take care of and I'm not getting any younger.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We love our 19 for most of the reasons stated already. The other is that we like the bed tucked away in the back. Makes it feel like it's own room in a way. The only other Escape I'd consider would be the 5.0TA.

I know that many consider the 21 bed ”no crawl over ” to be a huge asset, but we don't find the 19 bed a problem. Plus, it's a full 60 inches wide.

Two things we love about the 21: the larger bath, and the additional counter space. Is it enough for us to switch? No, but we all have different priorities.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
Thanks for the input. I think the 19' makes the most sense for us. I do, however, have another question:
Should we keep our 19' classic, or should we consider selling it and buying the newly designed 19'? Windows, door, bathroom cabinet, and awning (among other changes) are considerations.
Thoughts?
Thanks for all of your thoughtful opinions.
Bob in Bend
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It's pretty close to the same trailer, with perhaps a better fridge, different door and windows.

Not near enough for me to switch, but again, different folks, different priorities.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 08:16 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have had 3 Escapes all costing around the same amount. I have not had any trouble selling mine for my cost and then buying a new one which costs about the same. Yours is a 2016, figure your selling price and compare to what you want in the new one. Then post a 4 sale on the forum and see what happens. You may not have a camper for 6 months, but in the end it is worth it. With the exchange rate at present, it is a good buy.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
Thanks for the input. I think the 19' makes the most sense for us. I do, however, have another question:
Should we keep our 19' classic, or should we consider selling it and buying the newly designed 19'? Windows, door, bathroom cabinet, and awning (among other changes) are considerations.
Thoughts?
Thanks for all of your thoughtful opinions.
Bob in Bend
Awning has way more capability on the classic. Fridge seems to be a wash at this point. Windows, I prefer the sliders, but you're in rain all the time up in your area so you might like the new one's better. I much prefer the lines and the architecture of the classic vs the boxy flat sides, but that again is personal preference.
Just me I wouldn't trade my current classic 19 for the new one, but I'm not you. Like I did above, I'd list what the changes are on the new ones and see if they are worth it to you to go through all the process.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Compared to a 21 the 19 is just a stretched 17. Much more trailer in a 21 and so far as I know many former 19 owners have switched up to a 21 and seems just one went from a 21 to a 19.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
For me it's the position of the dinette at the back that makes the 21' more attractive than the 19'. I do also love the 19, though, in part because it does have more windows, and also because it's lighter weight and a bit narrower to tow.

Still, I am happy that we got the 21. It's the perfect size and layout for us. (YMMV)
Old 06-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I think we can all list our preferences of one over the other, but I think the best way is to spend some time in each if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Never felt rain coming into the trailer from the slider windows. Can always open up the awning on curb side (I never did it just for rain) and remember, the emergency escape window is an awning type that provides great air traffic in the rain. I prefer my sliders. The 19 is lighter, smaller, thus allows a tighter jack-knife into tight spots, and has the bigger bed. These were key requirements for me.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #16
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Just saw that you guys are in Bend. Would you guys like to check out our 21' in person?
We're thinking of driving up north a bit from Crater Lake and check out the eclipse.
Do you have space to boondock for a night? thanks
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #17
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Btw, we just did a recent weighing with 1/3 fresh water, empty black/grey.
our 21 was 4000 lbs without the tongue.. estimate 4500 with tongue weight.
it has AC, frameless windows, custom vinyl (heavier, I think), no oven.
We tow with the Honda Pilot, so I don't think you'll have any issues with a Sequoia.
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Simple! A trip to Chilliwalk! That's why ETI has a showroom. That people can compare trailer to trailer. They are parked beside each other. You go lay on the bed, you go sit on the toilet, you go check access storage, you sit in dinette, you open windows, you look through windows, you check out all options available (especially the ones you miss out on in your current Escape), you study the new awning, etc.
And THEN you decide!
Simple!
Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
For us the perfect fit was the 21, my wife loves all the storage. We have no oven but carry a convection toaster oven. The other thing was the bed orientation in the 19, crawling over each other to go to the washroom in the middle of the night. I don't even feel my wife get out of bed in the 21. We also have the U shape dinet great for relaxing and reading a book. Good luck on your decision.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
21 v 19

If the dinette in the back is a deciding factor, consider getting a 19 with the dinette in the back. That's what we did. Yes, it does require setting up the bed at night and converting to the dinette in the morning, but that's the price for the larger dinette. We don't mind. There's a twin bed up in the front where the dinette would have been. I put in a couple drawers under the twin. This offers a huge volume of easy access storage.
Whatever works....
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote