Air Pump 12V - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B - Café con Leche - 2020
Air Pump 12V

I'd like to purchase a 12V air pump to have around my future trailer, are there any recommendations based on members experience?
Old 01-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You can't go wrong with the Viair brand of 12V compressors. More expensive than most, but they hold up better & can reach the high pressures needed for trailer (and large RV) tires. I carry the 70P, the smallest & least expensive one they make.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
There are several on the market. I am having good results with my 12v Milwaukee unit. I have the one with a 1.5. and a 3.0 battery and a regular 110v charger. The batteries drive my Milwaukee caulk gun too. My son has the Milwaukee 12 v with the car charger ( cigar lighter plug in). He just got his, Ive had mine about a year. It will inflate balls, air mattresses and tires with the standard schrader valve. Will take an Escape tire from 52 to 62 psi in about two or three minutes. I’m picky on my inflation so I level up my tires On the Highlander too, all the time. Dewalt and Makita have them too I think. The Vair stuff has a good reputation also. I got Milwaukee cause I had the batteries and could buy the bare tool.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #4

Thank you Jon,
I found the one you have in Amazon, and the price seems right.

https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00073-H.../dp/B0012WHBSO
Old 01-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
There are several on the market. I am having good results with my 12v Milwaukee unit. I have the one with a 1.5. and a 3.0 battery and a regular 110v charger. The batteries drive my Milwaukee caulk gun too. My son has the Milwaukee 12 v with the car charger ( cigar lighter plug in). He just got his, Ive had mine about a year. It will inflate balls, air mattresses and tires with the standard schrader valve. Will take an Escape tire from 52 to 62 psi in about two or three minutes. I’m picky on my inflation so I level up my tires On the Highlander too, all the time. Dewalt and Makita have them too I think. The Vair stuff has a good reputation also. I got Milwaukee cause I had the batteries and could buy the bare tool.
Iowa Dave
Thank you Dave,
Are you referring to battery operated air pump?
I was looking at Ryobi 18v in Home Depot, I already have the ONE+ battery, but no sure how good that air pump is , I asked the question here because, first of all, this Forum has help me a great deal on my decisions and second, I want no surprises once on the road.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by M & M View Post
Thank you Dave,
I was looking at Ryobi 18v in Home Depot, I already have the ONE+ battery, but no sure how good that air pump is , I asked the question here because, first of all, this Forum has help me a great deal on my decisions and second, I want no surprises once on the road.
I too have the Ryobi. I have used it several times mainly for topping off tires, it works just fine. It hasn't seen a lot of use due to I have a small tank compressor at home. I like the idea of cordless and I think for the average user it fits the bill.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Don't know what you drive, but the Viair site lists which pump for which size tires.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I really like the Milwaukee M12 cordless inflator. I have had a Viair for years and it works well...just decided to try the Milwaukee cordless because I have a bunch of Milwaukee tools and plenty of batteries. I had low expectations for the cordless inflator but was pleasantly surprised, it is more powerful than I expected and easily tops up my truck and trailer tires as needed. Digital readout and controls are easy to use, and being cordless makes it so much faster and easier than having to hook up the power cable and a long air hose....this has about a two foot air hose which is just enough to reach the valve stem on any tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Milwaukee-M12-Cordless-Inflator.jpg  
Old 01-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Battery units

Quote:
Originally Posted by M & M View Post
Thank you Dave,
I’ve had good results with the 12v battery one I have. Can’t speak to the Ryobi but they seem to have good battery tools. I gave a couple examples on what mine will do. Sorry can’t speak to other brands. I haven’t had a completely flat tire in years so I don’t have a statistic on how long to air one up from 0 psi.
That about all I have. I’ve never tried the type that goes in a drill chuck. Milwaukee doesn’t make one to my knowledge and I’m all Milwaukee. The one David Murphy has pictured is the one I have too.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I too have the Ryobi. I have used it several times mainly for topping off tires, it works just fine. It hasn't seen a lot of use due to I have a small tank compressor at home. I like the idea of cordless and I think for the average user it fits the bill.
Thank you Ronn.
I really like the idea of a cordless air pump, beside I own three 18V ONE+ batteries.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Don't know what you drive, but the Viair site lists which pump for which size tires.
Thank you Bob,

It would be for my future Escape 17 B and of course my TV Subaru Ascent.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I really like the Milwaukee M12 cordless inflator. I have had a Viair for years and it works well...just decided to try the Milwaukee cordless because I have a bunch of Milwaukee tools and plenty of batteries. I had low expectations for the cordless inflator but was pleasantly surprised, it is more powerful than I expected and easily tops up my truck and trailer tires as needed. Digital readout and controls are easy to use, and being cordless makes it so much faster and easier than having to hook up the power cable and a long air hose....this has about a two foot air hose which is just enough to reach the valve stem on any tire.
Thank David,
I'm inclined to go cordless, seems to be the best way, I was also concerned about power cable and long air hose.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’ve had good results with the 12v battery one I have. Can’t speak to the Ryobi but they seem to have good battery tools. I gave a couple examples on what mine will do. Sorry can’t speak to other brands. I haven’t had a completely flat tire in years so I don’t have a statistic on how long to air one up from 0 psi.
That about all I have. I’ve never tried the type that goes in a drill chuck. Milwaukee doesn’t make one to my knowledge and I’m all Milwaukee. The one David Murphy has pictured is the one I have too.
Iowa Dave
Thanks Dave for your input.
I'd like to try the Ryobi only because I already have batteries, I'm going to buy one and see if I like it.