Archiving Threads - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
Archiving Threads

Is there any way to 'archive' threads or posts to my account on the forum? I currently save them to my desktop, but that is getting a wee bit cumbersome!
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Do you have Excel? I grab the URL and put that in one column, in the next column I put in a title that has meaning to me. That way I can quickly sort the entire list by title. I have nearly 1,000 threads setup this way from the three big all-molded-towable forums. I find this a lot faster and easier than bookmarking, etc. mainly due to the number of threads I want to find and access.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #3

Where is the URL for that specific post or thread?
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Old 01-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
My own way would be to

1 - bookmark / favourite URL

2 - place into appropriately titled folder with subfolders as needed (escape - campgrounds, escape - mods etc)

3 - rename the bookmarked URL to something useful / memorable. for example, usually the URL is like "the best place to find information!!! MYSITE.COM rocks" to "Winter camping in Yosemite, campgrounds, routes"

The trick with #3 is that you can search (I can on mine anyway) by the renamed URL so make it count.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Jean View Post
In the address bar
Attached Thumbnails
URL.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If you want to archive the actual content of a thread or post, to be used separate from the forum, you have the problem that the appearance of the page is built by the forum software, and you don't have a copy of that on your computer. You can save the page (using whatever options your browser provides to do that), but it will save just one displayed page at a time. If you take that approach, I suggest using the Thread Tools menu to switch to the Printable Version, or at least set your options to display a large number of post per page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Jean View Post
The easiest way to grab the URL for a specific post is to copy (right-click and "Copy link address" or whatever your browser software says) the post number link. For instance, the above question is from post #3; the post number is shown in the top right corner of the post and the pop-up hint is "permalink".

The specific post URL will not show in the address bar unless you follow a link to that specific post; normally only the thread link shows.
  • If you are reading this thread and have not followed a link to a specific post, the URL in your address bar will be:
    Code:
    http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f31/archiving-threads-6985.html
  • If you want to see a specific post (such as the one which I quoted above), the URL needs specify the post ID on the end, like this:
    Code:
    http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f31/archiving-threads-6985.html#post123733
    The whole page still displays, but the browser's current position is set to the desired post.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:15 AM   #7

Thanks, everyone for their great information on this subject. I am doing this on my iPhone and the URL only says escapeforum.org and doesn't have the http:// etc. So I will go to my MacBook tomorrow and work on this as I think the URL will be more specific as to the thread or post. I will report back. Like Donna, I don't want to bookmark it unless that is my only alternative. Maybe copying it into Excel will be the way to go.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Old 01-11-2016, 12:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Carla Jean, your iPhone will have the actual URL. Where it says escapeforum.org tap that once. It will turn blue. Tap it again and then use your finger as the mouse moved to the end to see it all. Clunky I know but it it is there.

Always easier on laptop.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:17 AM   #9

Yay! It worked on my iPhone! But will be much easier on my laptop, I'm sure. I will start archiving my favorite posts and threads. Thanks all of you!
2005 Toyota 4Runner