External Propane Quick Connect - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA 2019
External Propane Quick Connect

As we finalize our build sheet we are wondering about including the External Propane Quick Connect. Has anyone used it? We just discovered the Ooni Koda Gas Powered outdoor pizza oven and it looks like something we would use. Advice appreciated.

https://ooni.com/products/ooni-koda?...BrOIEgEO0hET24
Craig.Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Many have the quick connect and use them for grills and fire pits. Since the quick connect is downstream of the Escape regulator and thus already low pressure some devices require modification (like the Weber Q grill) to remove the pressure regulator on the appliance. Since this pizza oven has the regulator on the hose you don't need to do this, but you will obviously need a hose with the right ends to mate to the oven and trailer. Would be really nice to be able to use either hose so you could use the one with the regulator on a propane tank for home use. It might not be a bad idea to check with the manufacturer what regulated pressure the appliance is designed to run at. The quick connect on the trailer will provide a nominal 11" water column (w.c.) pressure.

By the way that oven looks really neat. I want one for my back porch.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The quick disconnect is great for propane fire pits. With the prohibition of transporting wood and the price of about $6.00 per bundle, I find the propane as a great alternative. And, when you leave the campsite or go to bed, you aren’t wasting money and taking chances on a wood fire.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We have the propane quick connect and use it for our propane grill and for a fire bowl. Personally, I would choose to bring a propane grill along over a pizza oven, since with an oven stone you could cook pizza in the grill, but it could be hard to grill steaks in the pizza oven!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Personally, I would choose to bring a propane grill along over a pizza oven, since with an oven stone you could cook pizza in the grill, but it could be hard to grill steaks in the pizza oven!

Ditto. That pizza oven only does one thing - cook a pizza.
The marketing focuses on how it saves time. Not a concern of mine.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We have an Ooni wood fired pizza oven and are very happy with it. And it does do more than pizzas. They make several different cast iron pans and dishes to use with it. But we’ve never used it for anything but pizza. I’ve often thought of taking it camping, as it’s compact and easily portable, but the only reason that we haven’t is that our method for making pizzas requires a large prep area, which is less conducive to the camp environment. It could be done, but how we roll at home is to make the large dining table the crust prep area where they all get rolled out, then a bunch of bowls of assorted toppings and chop/prep area take up a lot of room. We always invite people over for pizza night when we pull it out as it’s fun and everyone gets their own personalized pizza. On a grill or in an oven this would take forever, but at 1000*F the Ooni kicks out pizzas in one minute each, so it’s easy to bang out a dozen pizzas for a bunch of adults and kids. If you’re only cooking one pizza for your lonesome then a grill or oven might do just fine though.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #7

Sounds like your production line is quite a bit like ours at home. Perhaps we should exchange recipes! We anticipate it to be much simpler on the road when there are just two of us to feed. (unless we start feeding the neighboring campers : )
Thanks for your input
Kathy
Old 03-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Love the quick connect propane set up.Cooking most meals outside so easy, no one lbs bottles..Havasu is windy but warming up.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
I bought it but I don’t use it, so its a waste for me. I find using the 1 lb. bottles easier. If using it for a fire pit it would work well but you will be making frequent trips to the propane dealer as they use quite a bit of fuel over a long weekend trip.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #10

thanks for your input!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
We love our propane quick connect.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:08 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my 90s vintage Starcraft tent trailer which we had in the 2000s had an external propane hose port, and the 2-burner stove inside could be mounted outside and connected with that hose(1). And I thought it was /really/ handy. but I don't currently have anything suitable for the escape so I've not thought about making that mod.

(1) in fact, this stove was a counter-top unit, and had to be stowed under the dinette for travel... the inside counter location for the stove was also a quick release gas valve.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #13

Love those Starcraft pop up's!
Sorry about the loss of your fur baby.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Love the quick connect - use it with a modified weber q and a fire ring.
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have the quick connect , never used it , probably never will .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 escape 17b -sia-
LP quick connection

have and love using this option to use outland LP campfire and camp chef ranger II stove with pressure regulators removed and quick connects installed especially for cooking outdoors when weather allows. we also find LP available for purchase most everywhere we go. only stayed a one area last year that allowed wood fires in British Columbia and Yukon due to fire bans.fgunderson
fgunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I've never figured out how to adapt my fire in a can or my Weber grill so i could use it someday i will figure it out....
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #18

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I've never figured out how to adapt my fire in a can or my Weber grill so i could use it someday i will figure it out....
Installed this on our Weber Q
About a 30 minute job.
Easy even for me.

Plus now I have a nice bottle of leak test solution and PTFE paste. Not that I really needed any, but...

Ed

https://www.ebay.com/i/223280773166?...32978affe9be4d
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Maybe this is it?

Still messing with ours to get it set up. Have a quick connect hose from our old trailer and just ordered a quick connect brass valve part with male 1/4" threads and male quick connect which MAY screw directly into the flame control valve on our new Weber Q 1000 and MAYBE fit our quick connect hose, maybe. IF, that is IF it works, I will celebrate the end of this project for total of $2.59 plus the cost of the Weber Q1000! Tried to get the same part for our old Solaire grill which I really like better but we have a very old grill with metric fittings and cannot find a quick connect to make it work. This project has been going on for about a year now and it is about time that I get something to work! Arrrgh. The grill Gods have cursed me on this one.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
me too! but its just that i really don't understand the fittings etc... bought many items never seem to get it right! that and the TV cable and dish thing never got it to work on either trailer but i mostly watch DVDs so i haven't tried very hard.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote