FYI A Reace and Tammy Favorite - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I was at Wazzu from Fall '78 through the summer of 1980, and the Creamery just does not ring a bell. I love cheese and ice cream, have both just about every day. It very well could be I just had no money in grad school too. What I do remember well were Pullman's 4 hills, and how the school ran all their heating pipes under the sidewalks so they'd be clear in the winter. I can also remember standing outside the stadium when there were concerts to listen to the music. Those were certainly simpler days.

Frank
What?? You never heard of Ferdinand's? Makes me think you are a poser and never went to WSU at all😃. Your other memories say otherwise. And yes, we all know Ferdinand was a bull and why the dairy science people called it that, I will never know. In addition, all the dining halls had the ice cream with extremely high fat content. Many a freshman fell victim to the WSU ice cream.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #22

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
As a grad student, I did not stay in a dorm or ever went in a dining room. When we moved there from Massena NY in 78, our VW camper van broke down in Sandusky OH, and took most all the money we had saved for rent and starting out. We initially rented a basement apartment that I could not stand up in (low ceiling), and without heat. Our 1-1/2 year old was bundled up all the time. We had no money for much of anything, though Gail did get a job right away with the bookie. After we had been there one semester I won a full scholarship (actually a US DOE "traineeship") that paid me a grand/month (tax free), paid all my tuition and fees, and allowed us to move into married student housing, which, trust me, was a real big deal. We couldn't afford to run the van so we walked all over the place. We were also there when Mt. St. Helens blew May 18, 1980. I will never forget that day. I watched the black cloud come from the west-facing front of that married student housing unit. Been a long time since I thought about this stuff! We have three grown boys now and two grandsons, and have lived all over the country!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
We weren't there far from you on the original Mt St Helen's Day - watched the dark cloud approach Spokane from the west. My oldest child was two months old at the time and we had to make a little mask for him to wear to his first well baby appointment!
Old 09-25-2015, 11:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I believe the Creamery began many years before I visited but it seemed rather low-key and was familiar to the Ag majors. The creamery was called Ferdinand's and was pretty popular when we visited.

Yes, times were simpler although, I also remember watching their mascot, a very real cougar, pacing in its small cage (1967). Now the only mascot is a student in a costume. Thankfully, some things have changed for the better.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:36 AM   #25

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Our oldest son Gregg, now 38, was 1 when we moved to Pullman. When St. Helen's blew, the concern was young children and pregnant women. Gail was pregnant. So they took a big silver bird back to NYS and I moved into the VW camper van to finish my thesis. That was quite the summer. Max was born in Dayton OH, and out baby, Billy (who is finally getting married - next year) was born in Denver. And people wonder why we want to retire and travel?

By the way, I wasn't an ag major, so maybe that's why I don't remember Ferdinand's. To be honest though, Gail remembers it, and tells me we used to go there for ice cream. Gail pretty much has the family social history in her head!

We're off this weekend to Rochester NY to a wedding of the youngest son of my best friend. No egg this weekend, some suite someplace!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
Cougar gold is just wonderful and you can buy it online. I send it to my relatives each year for the holidays. Student operate the creamery and pack and ship the cheese with a card and hand signed. Many cheese varieties sell out so you should reserve. I am a FAN!

https://creamery.wsu.edu/

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
After a month in Alaska, I now really like Alaska White. Unfortunately, not available in NY...
Old 09-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
A real nice guy gave me one of those out at Niagara Falls. It was very tasty. I too am a fan of Belgian wheat beers, cloudy or not.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:15 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

Same person shared one with me also.....