FYI A Reace and Tammy Favorite - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
FYI A Reace and Tammy Favorite

Not sure if I can post this here or not but we just found something that they really like and cannot get in Canada.
Since they are always going the extra mile for us Escapees I thought I would share this.
"Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy"
grape_escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grape_escape View Post
Not sure if I can post this here or not but we just found something that they really like and cannot get in Canada.
Since they are always going the extra mile for us Escapees I thought I would share this.
"Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy"
If we could only get them to the Midwest gathering on the Mississippi I could supply them with at least case!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Leinies

I have been hittin the summer shandy pretty hard this past couple of months. Just started in on a 12ver of octoberfest. Not bad but not special. Rumor has it that there will be a new event at Niagara Falls and on the mighty Miss called a Beer tasting. Several varieties all in limited supply. Also at the Mississippi rally, a collectors edition set of leonine posters of the beer mermaids. Just a rumor.

Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When planning our trip out west ,I made sure to stock up on Leines "The official beer of Wisconsin " Trying to find real beer outside of Wisconsin is a challenge so I brougjt plenty of Leines . if you ever get to Chippewa Falls Wisconsin be sure and take the brewery tour at Leines , It's also hard to find good cheese outside of Wisconsin so we'll just have to suffer during our trip
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:29 PM   #5

There's a lot of good beers out there, you just got to wade through so much slop to find them. Maytag blue isn't too shabby for blue cheese, when I was out to Tillamook Oregon a few years ago, they had some real fine cheese too. There are few things in life for me more fun than sampling the local beers, cheese, ice cream, pie, tenderloins, hot beef sandwiches, well you get the idea. Had a Czech equivalent of surf and turf last night, two bratwurst and a catfish. Washed down with what else. Summer shandy
Dave
Old 08-31-2015, 11:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It's also hard to find good cheese outside of Wisconsin so we'll just have to suffer during our trip
The ag program at Washington State University in Pullman, WA produces an outstanding cheddar called 'Cougar Gold'. Might be worth it to swing by there, and at the same time experience the wonderful scenery of "the Palouse", rolling green hills like someone scrunched up a giant pool table felt.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:33 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'll be in Munich next week just as Oktoberfest kicks off. Suffice it to say there won't be any Shandys present. They're not bad, I just never considered them beer.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It's also hard to find good cheese outside of Wisconsin so we'll just have to suffer during our trip

Steve, I would love to try some of the cheeses you have in Wisconsin, but there are other great products out there. One very awesome source of goat cheese is Cypress Grove of northern California. We discovered it at a restaurant on San Juan island in Washington and in 2013 detoured to Arcata to get some on our trip to San Francisco. Our favorite was their Humboldt Fog, but Bermuda Triangle was a close second.

http://www.cypressgrovechevre.com

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #9

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
First beer, then cheese...

My go-to favorite is McEwan's Scotch Ale. My wife (and I) enjoy New Belgium Fat Tire as well. We also have nano-brewers around that we enjoy sampling.

I grew up in dairy country and worked on dairy farms as a kid. What I miss so much, and find incredibly hard to find outside of dairy country, is plain old rubbery, squeaky cheese curd!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
The ag program at Washington State University in Pullman, WA produces an outstanding cheddar called 'Cougar Gold'. Might be worth it to swing by there, and at the same time experience the wonderful scenery of "the Palouse", rolling green hills like someone scrunched up a giant pool table felt.
And if you can't swing buy, order it online. What makes WSU cheese different is their patented canning process (yes, it comes in a can). They have other varieties besides the Gold. (Like a lot of farming areas, you've got to time your visit to see rolling "green" hills. )
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
And if you can't swing buy, order it online. What makes WSU cheese different is their patented canning process (yes, it comes in a can). They have other varieties besides the Gold. (Like a lot of farming areas, you've got to time your visit to see rolling "green" hills. )
When did they start doing that? I went to grad school at Wazzu back in the late 70's and don't remember anything like that. Sounds cool!

Frank
Old 09-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Try http://www.leinie.com Next best thing to being there. I use Sister Barbs Baked Beans recipe as the basis for my pot luck slo cooker beans. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:57 AM   #13

Leinies

And them fish ladies aren't hard on the eyes either. Maytag blue cheese, newhall locker award winning jalapeño infused salami, a cold Leinies and thee. Not so Poetic but very satisfying.
Dave
Old 09-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #14

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
The ag program at Washington State University in Pullman, WA produces an outstanding cheddar called 'Cougar Gold'.
I like cheese. When I first starting dating my husband he told me about cheese in a can and I thought he was nuts. He went to WSU, so he was well aware of it. Eventually I tried it and now I LOVE it! I only get the Cougar Gold as the other flavors don't appeal to me. You can keep it for years. I have an unopened can in my frig that was made in 2013. Whenever I head to Spokane I look for it. Yeah, I can order it and probably will when this can gets opened. Several years ago I was at our local Costco and they had it. It didn't last long as lots of people were snagging it. I've never seen it there since.

https://creamery.wsu.edu/cougar-cheese/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I am also a cheese lover and saw in the stores out west a lot of cheese with the Tillamook brand. Coming down the coast in Oregon we saw their plant so swung in and enjoyed a lot of samples. The big mistake made was that we didn't buy enough to take home. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #16

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I am also a cheese lover and saw in the stores out west a lot of cheese with the Tillamook brand. Coming down the coast in Oregon we saw their plant so swung in and enjoyed a lot of samples. The big mistake made was that we didn't buy enough to take home. Loren
Yeah, Tillamook is good. We've been eating it for years and years.

When I was in Coos Bay OR earlier this year I was introduced to Face Rock Creamery by a friend that lives there. Some years ago Tillamook bought out their local creamery and promised to continue using the local dairy farmer's milk, but they didn't, which was devastating to the locals. (Yeah, don't mention Tillamook to those guys, I've been told.) The locals eventually started Face Rock, with help from the city of Bandon, where they have a beautiful store with lots of samples. I fell in love with the Cranberry Walnut Cheddar. I did NOT get enough of that, as I was afraid of it spoiling. Silly me, as I gobbled it up quite quickly. Our local Whole Foods carries some flavors of Face Rock, but not this particular one. Guess I'll be ordering it at some point.

Face Rock Creamery Home of Premium Handmade Cheese in Bandon Oregon
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Here are some of the door prizes to be awarded tomorrow afternoon at the Mississippi River Rendezvous. Who will the lucky camper be who wins the bottle of Mississippi River water, complete with pond scum.

The Summer Shandy is shown against the backdrop of Lock and Dam # 14.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Here are some of the door prizes to be awarded tomorrow afternoon at the Mississippi River Rendezvous. Who will the lucky camper be who wins the bottle of Mississippi River water, complete with pond scum.

The Summer Shandy is shown against the backdrop of Lock and Dam # 14.
Nice. Have you tried the Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy? IMHO better than the Leinenkugel's.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
WSC Cougar Gold has been manufactured for at least 45 years. When I married my first husband (a graduate of WSU) he raved about the Creamery on campus so, first trip to Spokane, we stopped in Pullman and had ice cream and bought cans of Cougar Gold.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #20

I was at Wazzu from Fall '78 through the summer of 1980, and the Creamery just does not ring a bell. I love cheese and ice cream, have both just about every day. It very well could be I just had no money in grad school too. What I do remember well were Pullman's 4 hills, and how the school ran all their heating pipes under the sidewalks so they'd be clear in the winter. I can also remember standing outside the stadium when there were concerts to listen to the music. Those were certainly simpler days.

Frank