Haida Gwaii - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 17
Haida Gwaii

I am planning on taking a trip to Haida Gwaii. Has anybody hauled their trailer over? We know it is expensive, but I thought if we stayed 2 weeks the cost would be offset by the cost saved by not having to rent accommodation there. Interested if anyone has hauled their trailer over. Also, I would like to know what activities that you did there.
Groma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For those, like myself who never heard of the place- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haida_Gwaii
Old 06-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
For those, like myself who never heard of the place- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haida_Gwaii
To us they're still the Queen Charlottes. We're slow to adapt to new politically correct names.

Don't know about the trailer for 2 weeks. I think that there's a balance point somewhere in the time you spend there and if it would be better to stay in a motel. Also, some of the main sites, like Ninstints and Hot Springs Island are only accessible by boat and you might have to do some of your sightseeing by tours.

We were lucky because we sailed our own boat there and could get to see the water only access places.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
To us they're still the Queen Charlottes. We're slow to adapt to new politically correct names.
Ron
We're with you on that one, Ron. It's always going to be the Queen Charlotte Islands to us. Lived there for three years before there was any ferry. You don't want to know what it cost back then to get a vehicle on/off the islands.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
I wonder what the natives thought when the name was changed to the Queen Charlottes. But maybe they, too, were slow to adapt to new politically correct names.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
I wonder what the natives thought when the name was changed to the Queen Charlottes. But maybe they, too, were slow to adapt to new politically correct names.
Saw an interesting poster a while ago, on it was a picture that was obviously taken sometime in the 1800's. The picture was of a number of Native Americans heavily armed with an assortment of guns, and underneath it read "Homeland Security". Rather telling I thought.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Went there on assignment some 45 years ago. My memory is the engine block and the truck tires on the beach at Masset when the tide when out. Reporter and I had rooms above the bar in a motel with a view of the beach - if you turned it 90 degrees. The carpet was decorated with blood stains.
Hey, that was the early '70s.

Lots of tourists are attracted to it these days.
About ten years ago, I was assigned to make another week long trip to Haida Gwai. I agreed to go, but told the editor I intended to put in my overtime.

On the way to the airport for the flight, another editor called me and said not to get on the plane. I wasn't going she said.

Then the photo assignment editor called me and diverted me to cover Puppetry of the Penis press conference.
I was relieved that I didn't have to spend a week in the drizzle and mist of Haida Gwai. I would get to go home and mow my lawn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppetry_of_the_Penis
Old 06-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I was standing on the dock in QCC and, because of the low hanging cloud, said to a local guy "looks like rain". Nope he said, it looks like that all the time, doesn't mean that it's going to rain.

My dad worked up there in the 60's. He started collecting Davidson argillite carvings when they were quite inexpensive.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
On topic, I also turned down a trip to Sweden to cover some hockey players and a trip to China, where I'd spend my time in high rise offices, interviewing men in suits for the business pages.

My lawn needed mowing.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:32 AM   #10
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
We've never been to Haida Gwaii but have heard many great stories of friends and fellow travelers that have visited- the farther north you go the more time slows down/doesn't matter, we've heard a few times. My experience with BC Ferries is that you do have to plan longer trips to make it worth it financially to take the trailer- we do save on meals as we don't eat out when we have the trailer. Check out the sailings/routes that have savings per foot for RVs- there's a few per week. Also if it suits you, check out BC Ferries Vacations- they combine ferry fares with accommodation and are often much cheaper than paying for each portion of the trip individually- you might find this considerably cheaper than taking the trailer if this is an option you want to explore. Enjoy your trip!
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 17
Thank you for your input. I have heard lots of great things about the place.
Groma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #12

Trailer: looking to purchase 21 foot
Haida Gwaii,did haida spring 2016 with our 21ft lots free camping ,ferry costly ,
Barylski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Haida Gwaii (still the Queen Charlottes to this old fart too) - one of my favorite places, hands down. My MSc was on sea lions on the southern tip. Neat place, but accessible only by boat, as noted by Ron. Most of my time over there in recent years has been by boat, so I have little specific to provide about camping with a trailer.

That said, it is hard to say whether taking the trailer over for two weeks would be worth it or not. As Ron correctly points out, many of the main attractions are not accessible by road, so unless you combine with a boat tour or two, being over there for two weeks might be a bit much. In any case, activities that come to mind are:

- Make sure that you visit the info center in QC city, they have great merchandise, and very informative information on the area.
- I understand that there is at least one hike available on Sleeping Beauty mountain out of Sandspit, but I have not done it, so have no details. Local inquiries might help here.
- the beach north of Tlell is worth a hike, and if you are ambitious, there is a famous wreck to visit. Just watch your tides, you could end up spending more time down there than planned... Again, local information will help.
- Grey Bay south of Sandspit is another place to visit, and maybe camp, but I do not have any specific information other than I know a friend of ours loves to camp a couple days down there.
- A hike on North Beach out of Masset is a must. Spectacular sand beach which is longer than you will want to hike.

There is a provincial park with camping at Tlell, and something that works at Grey Bay, I am not sure what. Towing a trailer, I would be very leery of going to Rennell Sound - the descent to the coast is steep gravel, and has sharp corners. The last time I was there (I will not admit how long ago), there were signs telling trailers to keep out, but things may have improved. Definitely do not go down there with a 2 wheel drive, and check the hill with no trailer before you decide to go down the hill.

There may be other options that this out of date old fart is not up to date on, but local inquiries should fill in the gaps. Bottom line is that it is a fascinating place, but to really see what it has to offer, you need to get out on a boat as well as explore by road.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
We are heading up the end of June and am checking out posts for suggestions. Did you end up making the trip? Any suggestions especially for the escape?
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote