Need dimensions under bed for 19' Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 19'
Need dimensions under bed for 19' Escape

I live in Arizona. I will be picking up our new Escape in June in Canada. I would like to build two drawers to go underneath the queen-size bed before I get there. Right now I'm thinking I will cut the lumber to size at home and finish construction of the drawers when I pick up the Escape in Canada.

I would appreciate it if someone would take a look at their 19' Escape and tell me the exact width, height and depth of the opening under the bed. Also, are there any obstructions such as electrical or plumbing that might limit the size of the available space.

Thanks,
Larry L
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I highly recommend you wait until you receive your Escape. Each trailer is hand made and although Escape has postings for dimensions, not all numbers are exact. You can see perhaps a 1/4" off in a corner or someplace else because it is handmade not laser cut. The over all package is beautiful but someone's E19 under bed measurement may not exactly be yours. Somethings are better if left to be made afterwards at home, that way it will fit your Escape not someone else. Just my opinion after owning 3 Escapes......
Old 11-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I too suggest you wait.

You would be putting a lot of faith in someone else's measurements.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Several of us have done drawers under the bed. Mine is in a classic 19, but the width is 24” and the height is 10”. My depth was only 23” to allow for welded cot poles and a Clam enclosure to fit behind it on an angle. Some guys made their drawers much deeper. I wouldn’t take this as gospel because you will have the new generation trailer, but if you are just aiming for something to work temporarily this should be at least a starting point.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post207206
Old 11-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I'd agree with Jim's assessment in post 2. My width of the underbed door opening is 29" on our classic 19. Ordered two drawers that are being made right now for the underbed that are 13" width, 36" length with a 3.5" height each. This is leaving 2" in the center for the side mount hinges. They haven't shipped yet or been installed and it looks like everyone's measurements are going to be a bit different.
We also ordered an 11.25" Width, 24" length, 3.5" height drawer box for the passenger side front dinette with optional door.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I asked ETI to NOT install the hinges or handles on the under bed doors so I could make them drawer fronts. If you are making doors into drawers then you will also want to have them NOT install the handle on the cabinet below the fridge. See photo below for where the handle needs to be. This way you can install it on the panel and not the frame as they do. With it installed on the panel the drawer just misses as you pull it out.
If you are not set on wood, then there is a real easy way to get 8 square feet of light weight storage that maximises the available space. You may want to check out the first few pages here on how to do it.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Attached Thumbnails
1A051CDB-3C6D-4055-AF81-425EB78DC830.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I asked ETI to NOT install the hinges or handles on the under bed doors so I could make them drawer fronts. If you are making doors into drawers then you will also want to have them NOT install the handle on the cabinet below the fridge. See photo below for where the handle needs to be. This way you can install it on the panel and not the frame as they do. With it installed on the panel the drawer just misses as you pull it out.
This is a good point. As you can see in the photo the width of my drawer was limited to the pinch point created by the underbed door swing. This was the condition I was working with as it was a used trailer. This worked out fine though because with the drawer closed I still wanted space to reach through from the front and be able to access the hot water heater bypass valves and winterizing T-valve.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1651.jpg  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
There is also about a 2" rise in the floor just behind the doors, so whatever you do must also take that into consideration.

I made two trays, 12"x36" which hold containers for clothes. These just have plastic sliders on the bottom (which tend to separate from the sticky part.) I have a close up of the containers so you can read the dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170924_124414900.jpg   bucket.jpg  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
One you get it home here's what you probably will be looking at. Don't have measurements but guessing the new version of the 19 will look much the same as mine. I simply made wood L tracks with furring strips to act as a guide rail for two deep pull-out drawers.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed01.jpg  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yes the floor is raised!

(Note this is the same type of aluminium floor edge you can use on the front of the medicine cabinet shelf edges to keep things from sliding out when you open the door.)
Attached Thumbnails
91ECB501-A476-4534-8789-7E5141DE3599.jpg   85AB31F1-72BD-48EB-9C56-23B7B923D049.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote