Nice is required - forum posting etiquette - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
Nice is required - forum posting etiquette

Recently the site team has been called to intervene when threads get heated and tempers rise and we wanted to take a little time to re-affirm the expectations on this board for members who post or PM.

These are the site rules: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/mi...ork&page=rules
They are long but the gist is: Be Nice. The devil is in the details however as one persons "nice" is anothers nasty. We don't all have the same social expectations so here are the basics:
  1. Do not call another member or their opinions misguided or dumb or something worse. Every person is entitled to their opinion, however that doesn't mean you can post to insult another. If a thread seems to invite an alternative opinion about a specific issue go ahead and post yours BUT do not argue with those who's opinions differ from yours. Your opinion is not better or right -
    it's just your opinion. State your opinion once and then move on. One post is enough.

2. Arguing for the sake of debate is not appropriate. Folks join this board to learn about Escape trailers and to share experiences related to the topic of the board. Be helpful when you post.

3. The same standards of behavior apply to all sections of the board including PMs and other messaging paths. If you can't post it on a thread, don't send it via PM.

4. We ask members who see problems to hit the report button to get some help from the site team. The site team are volunteers and it sometimes takes a little time to find a resolution to a problem or concern. Moderator actions are typically private between the concerned parties and the moderator. We don't post publicly about this stuff as this sort of drama is a detraction from the topic of the board AND because it may run afoul of our privacy policy. Moderation decisions are made after input from the entire team, we function as a committee of sorts and while one moderator may deliver the message it will be after consultation with others.

5. Members set the tone for the community. Please welcome newbies and contribute in a positive way to questions and concerns. We were all clueless newbies once and it's daunting to register on a public forum and post. Many RVers are especially private and so try to be supportive and positive.

6. While the forum allows posts that are critical of a product or process, it's not a free speech zone. It's privately owned and there are rules. You agreed to them when you joined and they are fairly straightforward but we expect that they will be followed.

If you had a negative experience with a product it's fine to post about it BUT it must be your personal experience - not random "that product rots" comments. If you have a dispute with a vendor please settle it with the vendor but don't "litigate' it here on the forum. We aren't associated with businesses and aren't in a position to 1. affect change or 2, determine the veracity of the claims. There is often more than one side to a complaint and taking to the internet to damage the reputation of a vendor is uncool and unfair.

Disparaging a product, or vendor especially when you have no direct experience is not helpful and this negative noise impacts buying decisions, product reputation and the bottom line. When you post this sort of thing you are messing with the income of small companies and their reputations. Consider this before you post and know that we pay particular attention to this content.

7. Politics and religion topics. Not allowed on this board. We have members with widely varying beliefs, values and from several countries. Collectively we will not agree on many of these topics and they are divisive to the community. Let's focus on the things we have in common - camping, fun and fiberglass.

8. It's easy to hide behind a mask of anonymity on the internet. Ordinary, reasonable people can somehow believe that it's OK to post aggressively and post misleading information without consequence. Think before you post and consider if you would say the same things if you were face to face with the same person. If you would not, then do not post.

Thanks for considering - we aim to make the forum an enjoyable place for everyone.

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
A very well thought out and presented list of rules of etiquette, Janet. We all (myself included) need to follow what you set out here on a daily basis.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Thank you Janet for reaffirming the rules of this forum and the expectations of its’ members. For the past while, I have noticed that a number of threads have gotten way out of hand. I personally don’t have time for negative attitudes and non-constructive comments. As a result, I stopped following the forum as closely as I used to. Hopefully everyone will get back on track with discussing, in a positive and constructive manner, something we all love: camping and our Escapes.
Regards
Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Heartily agree. I tend to filter out the fluff....but reading less of it would be welcome. This forum is a source of continuing education for me. Very glad to have it. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
Very well thought out and well written. Thank you moderators for all you do!
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Thank you.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kærnehuset View Post
Thank you Janet for reaffirming the rules of this forum and the expectations of its’ members. For the past while, I have noticed that a number of threads have gotten way out of hand. I personally don’t have time for negative attitudes and non-constructive comments. As a result, I stopped following the forum as closely as I used to. Hopefully everyone will get back on track with discussing, in a positive and constructive manner, something we all love: camping and our Escapes.
Regards
Scott
My thoughts exactly!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Thank you,

Regards,

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kærnehuset View Post
Regards
Scott
agreed.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Reasonable set of guidelines.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Recently the site team has been called to intervene when threads get heated and tempers rise and we wanted to take a little time to re-affirm the expectations on this board for members who post or PM.

These are the site rules: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/mi...ork&page=rules
They are long but the gist is: Be Nice. The devil is in the details however as one persons "nice" is anothers nasty. We don't all have the same social expectations so here are the basics:
  1. Do not call another member or their opinions misguided or dumb or something worse. Every person is entitled to their opinion, however that doesn't mean you can post to insult another. If a thread seems to invite an alternative opinion about a specific issue go ahead and post yours BUT do not argue with those who's opinions differ from yours. Your opinion is not better or right -
    it's just your opinion. State your opinion once and then move on. One post is enough.
  2. Arguing for the sake of debate is not appropriate. Folks join this board to learn about Escape trailers and to share experiences related to the topic of the board. Be helpful when you post.
  3. The same standards of behavior apply to all sections of the board including PMs and other messaging paths. If you can't post it on a thread, don't send it via PM.
  4. We ask members who see problems to hit the report button to get some help from the site team. The site team are volunteers and it sometimes takes a little time to find a resolution to a problem or concern. Moderator actions are typically private between the concerned parties and the moderator. We don't post publicly about this stuff as this sort of drama is a detraction from the topic of the board AND because it may run afoul of our privacy policy. Moderation decisions are made after input from the entire team, we function as a committee of sorts and while one moderator may deliver the message it will be after consultation with others.
  5. Members set the tone for the community. Please welcome newbies and contribute in a positive way to questions and concerns. We were all clueless newbies once and it's daunting to register on a public forum and post. Many RVers are especially private and so try to be supportive and positive.
  6. While the forum allows posts that are critical of a product or process, it's not a free speech zone. It's privately owned and there are rules. You agreed to them when you joined and they are fairly straightforward but we expect that they will be followed.

If you had a negative experience with a product it's fine to post about it BUT it must be your personal experience - not random "that product rots" comments. If you have a dispute with a vendor please settle it with the vendor but don't "litigate' it here on the forum. We aren't associated with businesses and aren't in a position to 1. affect change or 2, determine the veracity of the claims. There is often more than one side to a complaint and taking to the internet to damage the reputation of a vendor is uncool and unfair.

Disparaging a product, or vendor especially when you have no direct experience is not helpful and this negative noise impacts buying decisions, product reputation and the bottom line. When you post this sort of thing you are messing with the income of small companies and their reputations. Consider this before you post and know that we pay particular attention to this content.
  7. Politics and religion topics. Not allowed on this board. We have members with widely varying beliefs, values and from several countries. Collectively we will not agree on many of these topics and they are divisive to the community. Let's focus on the things we have in common - camping, fun and fiberglass.
  8. It's easy to hide behind a mask of anonymity on the internet. Ordinary, reasonable people can somehow believe that it's OK to post aggressively and post misleading information without consequence. Think before you post and consider if you would say the same things if you were face to face with the same person. If you would not, then do not post.

Thanks for considering - we aim to make the forum an enjoyable place for everyone.
"Politics and religion topics. Not allowed on this board. We have members with widely varying beliefs, values and from several countries. Collectively we will not agree on many of these topics and they are divisive to the community. Let's focus on the things we have in common - camping, fun and fiberglass."

I joined this forum to learn about Escape trailers, camping and camping related topics. Too often I am finding that forum members cannot help themselves and bring politics and snarky comments into the discussions - both of which have no place here. I have learned a lot on this forum but find that my enthusiasm to visit is reduced because of the inclusion of political opinions and innuendo . There is a subtle undercurrent among many posts supporting a collective political belief which, intentional or not, communicates that those who are not like minded are unwelcome.

As the moderators noted above - "Let's focus on the things we have in common - camping, fun and fiberglass."
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Don’t mean to start a powder keg here but can stay on topic be added and enforced. I read back on all subjects to learn and get ideas. Too many times the original topic get railroaded and information ask for get ignored or lost. While a lot of members have vast experience those new to RVing get confused when reading up on a subject and it been high jacked. Not trying to offend any one on this request
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Don’t mean to start a powder keg here but can stay on topic be added and enforced. I read back on all subjects to learn and get ideas. Too many times the original topic get railroaded and information ask for get ignored or lost. While a lot of members have vast experience those new to RVing get confused when reading up on a subject and it been high jacked. Not trying to offend any one on this request
AMEN. It also make it extremely tedious to try to search for anything among the off topic conversations. If you want to say hello send an email or give a call...
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
With a friendly forum sometimes the thread goes in a few directions.
Generally if the question is going to be answered, it will be answered in the first few pages. Sometimes keeping the thread alive with chit chat gives it time for the correct answer to appear. Most of the time I find I learn more when it does go off topic. If it goes in a direction that I am not interested in, I stop reading that thread. Many of the people on the forum are here with their great knowledge because it is social...loose the social...you may loose the knowledge.
If you post a question and want people to stay on topic, I guess you could always state that in your request.
I agree it is different than many forums, but as long as everyone is friendly and respectful, I am not sure any further change is required.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
In other forums I am involved in if subject matter gets off line a moderator reminds everyone to stay on topic and deletes non topic posts
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Like a conversation on any topic around the kitchen table, at the campfire, or on a forum, topic drift is a common thing.

It would be near impossible for the moderators to monitor every part thread and try to change this behaviour. For starters, there are way too many threads to follow then all. They all have others lives to live outside of this volunteer position. Though, if it does get out of hand, use the report button to bring it to the moderators attention.

A trend I have noticed is that the thread mostly stays on topic when new, and once most discussion has already been covered, it can begin to drift.

The primary concern should be that everyone is respectful of others and behave themselves according to the Community Rules.

My personal take is that I see this forum as a community, and friendly banter is a part of any community. There are times the thread drift does get a little overboard, but I just skip part in not interested.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Please remember also, there's exactly two moderators on this forum. Jim (cpaharley) and myself. Love you all, but I'm not going to take a 12 hour shift, seven days a week, just to make certain threads don't drift.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
I enjoy the Forum pretty much as it is in its present form.

I agree with and enjoy the social aspect of how threads meander. I remember a few years ago a poster posed a question and quite aggressively tried to moderate the conversation flow. It didn’t go so well for him.

If I could suggest I’d wish that people would choose thread titles which help define the thread’s subject. This would help when we search various subjects

I get that some of us are more familiar with posting/forums than others.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:10 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I think thread drift is inevitable. It can be irritating and make things harder to find, but it really hasn't been an issue for me.

What's more troubling are the sometimes mean spirited attacks by one forum member toward another. I'm not talking about a thoughtful or substantive challenge or rebuttal to another member's post, but rather, posts that smear, call names or attack personally. Today for instance I received a hate filled screed as a PM over on fgrv. The poster knew that such a rant would be deleted if posted publicly. I blocked and reported the member, but it's still disappointing and sad when it happens. If I want to see people yelling or screaming at each other, all I have to do is turn on the news. RVers should be better.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
"My personal take is that I see this forum as a community, and friendly banter is a part of any community. There are times the thread drift does get a little overboard, but I just skip part in not interested." From Jim Bennett

Agreed. At times the drifting can be annoying, but overall it totally helps create the sense of community for me.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote