Refrigerator ?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2018, 07:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019---21'
Refrigerator ??

Will be purchasing 19' this Spring; haven't decided between 5 cuft vs 6 cuft. Besides the obvious, any issues/concerns between the models ?
k4zvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We much prefer the two separate doors for fridge and freezer. Not only does it give you more freezer capacity but it seems to perform better than a freezer compartment within the fridge compartment. The extra fridge capacity is nice also.

As for overall cooling of the fridge, I think you would not notice any difference between the two.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We much prefer the two separate doors for fridge and freezer. Not only does it give you more freezer capacity but it seems to perform better than a freezer compartment within the fridge compartment. The extra fridge capacity is nice also.

As for overall cooling of the fridge, I think you would not notice any difference between the two.
Appreciate your opinion; we've been leaning toward the larger ref and think we'll opt for the 6 cuft. Another concern, new to the forum and read almost all threads, etc. From several members, it appears that owners have had issues with their ref; is this an ongoing problem ? If so, has ETI addressed this issue ? And, are the newer trailers equipped with "better" refs ?? Gil
Old 07-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4zvu View Post
Appreciate your opinion; we've been leaning toward the larger ref and think we'll opt for the 6 cuft. Another concern, new to the forum and read almost all threads, etc. From several members, it appears that owners have had issues with their ref; is this an ongoing problem ? If so, has ETI addressed this issue ? And, are the newer trailers equipped with "better" refs ?? Gil
Isn't a ref an official at a hockey game?
I must admit it is better than some referring to it as a joint(refer) or a politically correct swear word (frig).

The new models of trailers have a new model fridge that was not having any of the difficulties of the first generation trailers. We have only ever had ours on maximum for a short while to cool it down, otherwise it is at 3 or 4 on the dial (outta 5). Last weekend set on 3, our thermometers read -15° in the freezer and 2° in the fridge the whole time, you can't beat that
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'll second what Jim said. There are two different lines of fridges under discussion on the many threads here. One is the Dometic 8 series which is in the "classic" Escapes, and the other is the Dometic Americana series, used in the new 2nd generation Escapes. The Americana works better in hotter climates. Having said that, peruse any RV forum you like and you'll find thread after thread talking about poor fridge performance. Sometimes it's due to a bad design, sometimes due to an improper install, but more often than not it's due to expectations that an RV absorption fridge will perform just as well as a compressor style fridge, even when it's hot out. Ask any experienced RVer and they'll tell you that's an unreasonable expectation. As long as my fridge can keep it at 40F or less, I'm happy.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:17 AM   #6

Thanks for the info; henceforth, it will be "frig".....have a great week. 73's Gil
Old 08-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Even the newer fridges seem to struggle a bit in hotter weather. I have the "Texas fan", which helps, but I've definitely had to turn it all the way up a few times to stay in the low 40s when it's above around 97F outside. To an extent it's just that absorption fridges aren't as good as compressor fridges.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote