Slooow site - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 15A
Slooow site

Sure are having a hard time getting on this site and it takes a long time to load each page.I have no problem on any other site but this one ,frustrating to do anything.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
No problem with speed but lately I have had to double or even triple click the back button to go elsewhere on the forum. Also my firewall blocks an attack by Fake AV (whatever that is) every time I logon to this site.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Sounds like my wife's pc. She never clears her browsing history or runs the virus scan. After I clear history/cookies & run AVG to clear threats its fine.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie View Post
Sure are having a hard time getting on this site and it takes a long time to load each page.I have no problem on any other site but this one ,frustrating to do anything.
Could be the DNS Server used by your ISP. I've had no issues with speed or accessing the site.
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too have had no issues with speed on this site, it is just as fast as any others I peruse.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie View Post
You can also change your DNS settings to see if it corrects the problem. Depending on your operating system the settings are in a different location, so I won't go into it here, but once you find your DNS settings, try changing it to the Google public DNS servers. Their IP addresses are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Some ISPs use their own DNS Servers and some use a 3rd party. In some cases, their DNS is not authoritative and/or a zone transfer has not occurred, making name resolution slow or spotty.

If changing to another DNS server still results in slow performance on the forum website, but not any others, consult your ISP and report the problem. This is usually caused by a routing issue.
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 15A
I haven't changed anything and today it is working perfectly.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
yesterday I was getting errors indicating the database was down, or unreachable. It may be the database got recovered and is now operating more efficiently
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
yesterday I was getting errors indicating the database was down, or unreachable. It may be the database got recovered and is now operating more efficiently
I got the DB errors too, for about 2 hours. I think Woodie's problem was most likely with one of the routers between his ISP and the hosting server used by the Forum website. I deduce this because at the same time he had the issues, myself as well as others did not.

As a network engineer, whenever I have issues resolving a site that others can reach, I usually change my DNS settings as a first check. If I still encounter problems, I call my ISP.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I got errors yesterday, here and at FGRV. I imagine it had something to do with Social Knowledge's server. Was all fine a short time later.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I got the DB errors too, for about 2 hours. I think Woodie's problem was most likely with one of the routers between his ISP and the hosting server used by the Forum website. I deduce this because at the same time he had the issues, myself as well as others did not.

As a network engineer, whenever I have issues resolving a site that others can reach, I usually change my DNS settings as a first check. If I still encounter problems, I call my ISP.
Another geek.... LOL have you thought of the geek mods you will be doing ? I am slowly putting together a carputer for audio / visual entertainment when trapped inside by weather or late evening. See what you think: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ideo-3291.html
I have stepped away from the raspberry though as it is not capable of dual video outs with out a lot of add-ons which makes the carputer the better contender.

Cypherian
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Same here for a couple hours
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Another geek.... LOL have you thought of the geek mods you will be doing ? I am slowly putting together a carputer for audio / visual entertainment when trapped inside by weather or late evening. See what you think: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ideo-3291.html
I have stepped away from the raspberry though as it is not capable of dual video outs with out a lot of add-ons which makes the carputer the better contender.

Cypherian
Yep, geek...guilty as charged!. But, my job as a network security comsultant/engineer allows me to work from home a lot of the time, provided I have WebEx and an internet connection, so geekdom has its benefits. As for mods, I'm going to build an htpc with DC and ac power. Other than that, haven't given it much thought. The only real requirement is a good internet connection, and my Verizon hotspot should handle that most of the time. By this time next spring, when I have to do a consulting job, I hope to be doing it from a campground in my 17b sometimes instead of at home.

Oh, as for the raspberry pi, I've used them as a super small htpc platform for embedded or kiosk style systems with some good results.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yep, geek...guilty as charged!. But, my job as a network security comsultant/engineer allows me to work from home a lot of the time, provided I have WebEx and an internet connection, so geekdom has its benefits. As for mods, I'm going to build an htpc with DC and ac power. Other than that, haven't given it much thought. The only real requirement is a good internet connection, and my Verizon hotspot should handle that most of the time. By this time next spring, when I have to do a consulting job, I hope to be doing it from a campground in my 17b sometimes instead of at home.

Oh, as for the raspberry pi, I've used them as a super small htpc platform for embedded or kiosk style systems with some good results.
I had high hopes for it.. read as really wanted to play with one :] But with what I want to do serving music / movies it would cost as much as a carputer and take less work. I have a couple of old Dell laptops with dock ports and 12v power supplies debating turning one of those into my server but size is an issue as I want to use the shelf above the table for it and the stereo system head unit. Since it serves no purpose for me.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
I had high hopes for it.. read as really wanted to play with one :] But with what I want to do serving music / movies it would cost as much as a carputer and take less work. I have a couple of old Dell laptops with dock ports and 12v power supplies debating turning one of those into my server but size is an issue as I want to use the shelf above the table for it and the stereo system head unit. Since it serves no purpose for me.

Cypher
There's also the option of using one of the old laptops with an external HDD, load it with Linux Mint, and run Plex on it. Does a very good job of transcoding, and will even do a fair job with 1080p in most cases.