Snug as a Bug in a Rug! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 01:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Snug as a Bug in a Rug!

Hi Folks,

Thought some 5.0 & 5.0 TA owners might be interested in this post on storing "The Big Easy" for winter.

Bought this 5th Wheel cover through Camper's World (Good Sam Member offer) @ $US 200.00... plus $US 9.00 drop charge for... are you ready for this fellow Canadians... FREE SHIPPING to Canada

Smallest I could find... 23'... a little big... reminds me of my first suit when I looked like Buddy Holly: Repels rain really well & has a nice feature in that the trailer door is easily accessible...

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer Cover Top.jpg   Trailer Cover Front.jpg   Trailer Covered.jpg   Trailer Cover Flap Open.JPG  
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #2

Here's a couple more...
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer & the Firs.jpg   Trailer Cover Flap Open 2.jpg  
Old 10-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Thats a good price Larry, I was looking at ordering one online from them, probably the same one and its $299.00, might have to join Good Sam, do you know if the deal is still on? How much extra cover sits on the ground?

Doug
Old 10-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I have their flyer and it says the sale is on until Nov. 2

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Year before last I ordered a new one from CW in Nov, didn't get it till March.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Thats a good price Larry, I was looking at ordering one online from them, probably the same one and its $299.00, might have to join Good Sam, do you know if the deal is still on? How much extra cover sits on the ground?

Doug
Hi Doug,

A fair bit... it's 3' longer than required & probably made for trailers 8' wide. But the good news is that the cover comes with lots of ties (and clips). I did use some hay bale ties (jack ball & figure eight clips) normally used for tying down poly sheets to "tuck in" some of the excess material on the driver's side. Maybe some stitching would help. Have to find a good trailer cover seamstress

Larry
Old 10-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Year before last I ordered a new one from CW in Nov, didn't get it till March.
Hi padlin,

This one took a week, but they also have one that provides higher UV protection for those folks that get more Sun. Was told, that one is back ordered till the middle of Nov. So maybe you ran into the same thing a couple of years ago.

Larry
Old 10-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Larry, I'm not sure if you have solar on your 5er, but can you tell if the cover material is translucent enough to let a panel keep a full charge on the batteries while the trailer is covered up?
Thanks,
Brent.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Thanks for the post, Larry. I was looking at those covers on Camping World and wondering how they would suit our fifth wheel trailers.

Is that the one with the Tyvek top? Gotta love that free shipping to Canada.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
Thanks for the post, Larry. I was looking at those covers on Camping World and wondering how they would suit our fifth wheel trailers.

Is that the one with the Tyvek top? Gotta love that free shipping to Canada.
No it's not Lyle... that is the one on back order... mid-Nov, I was told. The one I got is apparently better for us on the "Wet" coast. The rain runs off easily & water beads without any soaking through, even when sitting on a flat spot. Have the same material for covering our convertible and it has worked well for over four years... stood up well in the wind and the bit of snow that we get here as well. The Tyvek top has better UV protection and may be a bit stiffer. That may be somewhat of a disadvantage in that the cover is a bit large for our trailers and needs to bend on all sides in order to snug it around the trailer.

Hope this helps

Larry
Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
Larry, I'm not sure if you have solar on your 5er, but can you tell if the cover material is translucent enough to let a panel keep a full charge on the batteries while the trailer is covered up?
Thanks,
Brent.
Hi Brent,

I'm no expert here, but based on how low the Sun is here during the winter, I don't think you would have much luck with solar. Although mine is more UV friendly than the Tyvek top that Lyle asked about. Maybe, if your trailer will be sitting out in the open? Where our's sits (among the Douglas Fir trees), I don't think it would see the Sun on the longest day

I'll top up the 2 - 6V's using good old 120v every six weeks or so. It's the Douglas Fir pollen dust that I'm trying to minimize. Although it washes off easy enough (especially if the trailer has been waxed before being put to bed), it's still a pain in the

Larry
Old 10-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
No it's not Lyle... that is the one on back order... mid-Nov, I was told. The one I got is apparently better for us on the "Wet" coast. The rain runs off easily & water beads without any soaking through, even when sitting on a flat spot. Have the same material for covering our convertible and it has worked well for over four years... stood up well in the wind and the bit of snow that we get here as well. The Tyvek top has better UV protection and may be a bit stiffer. That may be somewhat of a disadvantage in that the cover is a bit large for our trailers and needs to bend on all sides in order to snug it around the trailer.

Hope this helps

Larry
Thanks for the clarification, Larry. The way I read the ads for the two different covers it sounds as if the Tyvek-topped one is the way to go for me living in a more extreme climate with plenty of snow.

BTW love your rig.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Larry. The way I read the ads for the two different covers it sounds as if the Tyvek-topped one is the way to go for me living in a more extreme climate with plenty of snow.

BTW love your rig.
Thanks Lyle... and yes, coming from Edmonton, I know of what you speak I think the Tyvek is nice and smooth which will make removing snow from the top much easier. Our cover's material is a bit pitted and removing snow (especially if it's wet) from the convertible takes more effort. Will be for the trailer as well

Larry
Old 10-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Larry is it the Polypro 3 cover?

Doug
Old 10-17-2014, 04:48 AM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
And yet another plus for FG trailers, no sharp corners to pad when covering.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
I moved from AB to Parksville recently, and wondered how many of the owners on the Island use a full cover for their units during winter storage? I also purchased two Dri-Z-Air canisters for the unit during winter storage and am considering closing closing all vents/windows. I purchased my unit this year but owned various RV's in AB but did not cover them, and because of the low humidity didn't use products like Dri-Z-Air. Any feedback would be appreciated.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You will have to empty the Dry-Z-Air containers every week or two. Don't spill the liquid ( it isn't water - like trying to mop up jello and is corrosive ). You can buy the no-name crystals in bulk a lot cheaper than Dry-Z-Air packets.
I generally keep vents closed, unless I'm running a heater, which I do from time to time.
Open all cupboards and stand cushions on end ( I can't bring them in the house - it's not much bigger than the trailer ).
Old 10-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Thanks for the feedback, do you cover your 17B?
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't cover it because then I would need a cover to protect the cover.
I think a good coat of wax is the best protector. Just wish it didn't have to spend the winter under a huge cedar.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't cover it because then I would need a cover to protect the cover.
I think a good coat of wax is the best protector. Just wish it didn't have to spend the winter under a huge cedar.
Glen... if you like, we can send over a couple of Island deer to you... they will take care of that cedar for you You'll notice that on my pics we have a laylandii hedge on one side, because it's deer proof... Ha

And Doug, I don't think our cover is the one you asked about... The following link is to the one we purchased...

Designer Series SFS Aqua Shed 5th Wheel RV Cover - Up to 23' - ADCO 52251 - RV Covers - Camping World

Larry