Tapatalk | Forum mobile access - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
Tapatalk | Forum mobile access

I wanted to let you know that Tapatalk, a mobile app has been enabled for the forum. If you are browsing the board on your mobile device you should get a prompt to download the app - it is a stripped down viewer designed for lean data use on mobile devices. Tapatalk is available for both Android and IOS platforms and once you've downloaded the app you should be able to access the board with your usual login and password.

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Janet

Thanks, works good on iPhone.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-13-2015, 11:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Works great on android too. Thanks, Janet!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I downloaded and got to a page that says Connect with Facebook ( no thanks ), has icon for Google+ ( no thanks ) and has an icon for Email ( I have email ). So what do I do to open Escape Forum?
Old 01-14-2015, 05:48 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
My android must be too old, I don't get prompted to download anything. It's 2.x.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

I connected with Google, as I am signed in their to get my mail, and store files. Worked great.

Bob, do you have Tapatalk installed? Or, is it just not available for your phone? The latest Android OS is 5.x, maybe time for a new phone?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thought it would prompt to download once I accessed the forum, which I do via Chrome.

I did just download tapatalk via the Play Store, seems to have loaded okay. Searched for and logged into the forum so I should be good.

Need to figure out how to access it in the easiest fashion.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Thought it would prompt to download once I accessed the forum, which I do via Chrome.
One of the other forums used to do that, and I hate it. Why on earth would I want to be asked about downloading the app again every time I access the forum?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
One of the other forums used to do that, and I hate it. Why on earth would I want to be asked about downloading the app again every time I access the forum?
It only prompts for a download once. After that the prompt is to continue to site or open in app.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I don't get why I would want Tapatalk. Is there some advantage to using it?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #11

Okay, if it prompts about opening the app only once, and the site does not prompt to redirect. If I want to use an app, I'll use the app. If I requested the site's URL in a browser, I want the site, and don't want to answer "no" to using the app every time... as is required by some forums.

For EscapeForum on my Android tablet, after dismissing the Tapatalk prompt the first time (without installing it), I opened the site again, and there was no prompt Much better than some other sites.

On the other hand, after declining that original installation I decided to try it. No problem downloading the app from the Play Store, but I don't see EscapeForum in it, although FiberglassRV was already set up for me... is this an update to TapToTalk? A search in Tapatalk for "Escape" doesn't find this forum.

In the past, I have found that the forum-reading apps are too limited in functionality, and with a 10-inch tablet there is enough space for the website. A quick glance at FiberglassRV in Tapatalk suggests that the situation has not changed much.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Okay, if it prompts about opening the app only once, and the site does not prompt to redirect. If I want to use an app, I'll use the app. If I requested the site's URL in a browser, I want the site, and don't want to answer "no" to using the app every time... as is required by some forums.

For EscapeForum on my Android tablet, after dismissing the Tapatalk prompt the first time (without installing it), I opened the site again, and there was no prompt Much better than some other sites.

On the other hand, after declining that original installation I decided to try it. No problem downloading the app from the Play Store, but I don't see EscapeForum in it, although FiberglassRV was already set up for me... is this an update to TapToTalk? A search in Tapatalk for "Escape" doesn't find this forum.

In the past, I have found that the forum-reading apps are too limited in functionality, and with a 10-inch tablet there is enough space for the website. A quick glance at FiberglassRV in Tapatalk suggests that the situation has not changed much.
You have to login with your regular forum username and password. It then associates the forum with the app. It also seems to add a couple other forums I've never heard of, but those are easily deleted.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
On a tiny screen, such as an iPhone 4, it greatly simplifies the GUI and makes it easier to use -- without all the pinching, zooming and panning.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Yeah, as Robert says, the layout and usability is vastly improved over using a regular browser on. Basically, it cuts out all the crap, and just lets you post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-15 02.17.43.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	9263
Old 01-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Any plans to add a version for Windows Phone 8.1?
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck View Post
Any plans to add a version for Windows Phone 8.1?
Tapatalk is available for your Windows phone.
Tapatalk | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (Canada)

Do the site techies need to do anything to make the forum work there?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I have a problem using Tapatalk and wonder if anyone has a solution. One feature I use a lot is when I am logged in, the "Recent Discussions" list on the right column shows discussions that have changed and I haven't read yet as bold. When I logged in to the forum using Tapatalk, this list on my computer no longer shows in bold the unread discussions. I presume it has something to do with Tapatalk trying to find recent discussions and therefore the browser version not knowing that I haven't really read them yet. I would like to keep the bold list of unread discussions while still having access via Tapatalk. How can I keep the browser version playing nicely with the Android app?
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You have to login with your regular forum username and password. It then associates the forum with the app. It also seems to add a couple other forums I've never heard of, but those are easily deleted.
In case anyone is curious, the end result was that I had to launch the app from the web page for the forum to get straight into the forum using my EscapeForum username and password. It then works as intended. Starting without any other context, Tapatalk can't make the forum association even if I select the forum from their list.

Also, I am repeatedly prompted to use the app when I load the forum webpage on my Android tablet, even though I have loaded the app and logged in I accept cookies on this device, and I haven't cleared any history. As usual, the aggressive promotion of the app is an annoyance, but you get what you pay for
Old 03-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #19

When I go into the Escape page on Tapatalk, it lists all the recent discussions for me, the same as it does here. I have no clue what I might be doing different, but it seems to work okay for me.

I much prefer using the app for FGRV, as opposed to going in through Tapatalk, like you have to for the Escape forum. I lists are much better to find my way through.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:18 PM   #20
Site Team

Out of curiosity I just visited the forum via browser on my wife's Android phone. Sheesh. The mobile site is infested with ads, and the ads are interspersed in each thread, breaking up the comments about ever 2nd or 3rd post. Unuseable, IMHO, but whatever.

Definitely use the Tapatalk app.