Towing 5th wheel with Toyota Prerunner - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 17ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Towing 5th wheel with Toyota Prerunner

I was wondering if you could tow a escape 5 wheel with a Toyota Prerunner and if there were in photos of one to see.
rdteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A PreRunner is simply a 2WD Tacoma with an option package intended to emulate the style of trucks used to "pre-run" off-road race courses, using some of the parts normally used only on 4WD trucks. It's very nearly a 4WD Tacoma with the transfer case and front drive axle omitted. Any of the threads which discuss Tacomas as 5th wheel tugs will be applicable, but consider your own PreRunner's specific dimensions and ratings.

What year is this truck? The Tacoma grew quite a bit from first to second generations.

Even if it is the optimal PreRunner configuration (of engine, transmission, cab, and box) for towing a 5th wheel, I suspect that when you check other discussions and your own truck's ratings you'll find that its capacity is marginal at best for an Escape 5.0TA.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A PreRunner is simply a 2WD Tacoma with an option package intended to emulate the style of trucks used to "pre-run" off-road race courses, using some of the parts normally used only on 4WD trucks. It's very nearly a 4WD Tacoma with the transfer case and front drive axle omitted. Any of the threads which discuss Tacomas as 5th wheel tugs will be applicable, but consider your own PreRunner's specific dimensions and ratings.

What year is this truck? The Tacoma grew quite a bit from first to second generations.

Even if it is the optimal PreRunner configuration (of engine, transmission, cab, and box) for towing a 5th wheel, I suspect that when you check other discussions and your own truck's ratings you'll find that its capacity is marginal at best for an Escape 5.0TA.
It is a 2006 Prerunner with factory tow pkg.6500 lb towing capacity.I have know doubt my truck will pull one its that I don't know how the 5th wheel thing works with my tuck.Thats why I wanted photos.I love my litte 17ft Casita it pulls no problem.But I do like the escape 5.0 with wheel.Maybe in my future.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #4

I hope you got my message " trying to figure the forum operation out.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Levi
Does your PreRunner have a yellow payload stick on the door jamb? if so what's the payload?
Old 08-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
another issue with the tacomas, the truck bed is fiberglass, so you will want to drill through the bed and secure the 5th wheel hitch to the frame.

assuming this prerunner has the factory tow option, and is otherwise equipped similar to my 2008 4x4 trd off road 4.0L V6, i'd expect it to have a 1100 lb payload if its a crew cab (4 door), and 1300 lb payload if its a access cab (these are both about 100 lbs higher than the 4x4 model, due to the lack of the transfer case + front differential and axles... both models have the same GVWR). whatever the hitch weight of the 5th wheel trailer is, that plus your driver+passengers and all cargo you have in the truck would have to add up to less than the payload spec..
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdteeler View Post
It is a 2006 Prerunner with factory tow pkg.6500 lb towing capacity.I have know doubt my truck will pull one its that I don't know how the 5th wheel thing works with my [truck].
2006 is the bigger second generation, which covers the 2005 through 2015 model years.

The maximum trailer weight rating isn't a problem, as you've already discovered. Since the trailer will weigh no more than 5500 pounds (assuming that you don't exceed the GVWR of the trailer), and the truck's gross combined weight rating (GCWR) is high enough for at least 6500 pounds of trailer, optional truck equipment, passengers, and cargo, you would have at least 1000 pounds available for the hitch, options, passengers, and cargo without exceeding GCWR. Even better, the loaded trailer will more likely be a few hundred pounds less than that, leaving more for passengers and cargo. That's the straightforward good news, and is the same for a conventional trailer or for a fifth-wheel.

As Jim suggested, a likely issue is with payload, or the difference between what the truck itself weighs (curb weight) and what it weighs with passengers, cargo, hitch, and the pin weight of the trailer. Again, this is like a conventional trailer, but the fifth-wheel's pin weight is high compared to a similarly sized trailer's tongue weight. So, what is the payload (passenger plus cargo capacity), or what are the GVWR and curb weight of the truck?

There's also the rear axle capacity (GAWR-rear) to consider, and the fact that Tacoma owners commonly observe that the rear suspension seems to not be stiff enough to handle high loads well, even while staying within the GAWR. That's something you can see in the other discussions of the Tacoma as a tow vehicle. As with other features of the truck, the PreRunner will be more like a 4WD than a base 2WD, comparing otherwise comparable vehicles.

When you do the calculations, totalling up what the truck would be carrying, keep in mind the weight of the fifth-wheel hitch (or alternative hitch system such as the Andersen Ultimate), complete with all mounting hardware.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #8

If the Tacoma seems marginal for the current Escape 5.0TA, you might consider a used Escape 5.0. This earlier fifth-wheel model has a single axle (the 5.0TA has tandem axles) and is a bit shorter, substantially narrower, and lighter than a 5.0TA.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If the Tacoma seems marginal for the current Escape 5.0TA, you might consider a used Escape 5.0. This earlier fifth-wheel model has a single axle (the 5.0TA has tandem axles) and is a bit shorter, substantially narrower, and lighter than a 5.0TA.
Based on a post by the OP in another thread with a 5.0 for sale, I think that's exactly what he is considering. I think a Taco could tow that fine, provided it had the V6/tow package.