virtual private network (VPN) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape-"Song"
virtual private network (VPN)

Hello everyone, I'm wanting to get a VPN app and would like to hear others' experience with one. Specifically, which one you are using and whether you like that particular app or not. Thanks very much.
Linda
linheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I use Cisco AnyConnect with out any problems. Haven't used any other VPN software. Cisco AnyConnect supports two factor authentication to assist with security of the VPN.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
NordVPN

https://www.vpnmentor.com/reviews/nordvpn/
Old 04-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 & 2014 RAM EcoDiesel
I have used cyberghost for several years now and it has proved reliable regardless of whether I am at home on my designated connection or traveling using my phone as a hotspot or public WiFi. I can also select server location and speed which I find helpful. Costs me 50 a year.
canakiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 21' Escape-"Song"
Thank you gharper, tdf-texas, and canakiwi. Really appreciate your input.
linheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I have used Private Internet Access for several years, and it works fine for both Windows 10 and Android Phone. The only issue I have found is that some sites block VPN connections (from any VPN) so I have to turn it off while using those sites. It is easy to turn on and off, and I have it set to autostart when I boot.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
The only issue I have found is that some sites block VPN connections (from any VPN) so I have to turn it off while using those sites.
There's a bit more to it than that. Most likely the site is blocking PPTP connections. Using an Open VPN instead of a PPTP VPN means you can use any port as well as a TCP or UDP connection. This is much harder for the site to detect. Additionally, many sites don't even go that far, and are simply blocking connections from well known VPN Server IP spaces. There are numerous ways around this, too many to list here.

One alternative that hasn't been mentioned is to roll your own. It's not that hard to create your own VPN server using open source tools.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
...One alternative that hasn't been mentioned is to roll your own. It's not that hard to create your own VPN server using open source tools.
Maybe it would be a simple matter for you Bryan. It is a little more difficult for a digitally challenged techno-caveman like myself.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Maybe it would be a simple matter for you Bryan. It is a little more difficult for a digitally challenged techno-caveman like myself.
Point taken Dave, but I think you're being modest.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:42 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016
NordVPN hands down! My reason is backed by 2 yr experience with this provider. My purpose is only web streaming and torrenting and never I have noticed issues with speed. My tip is to connect a US or UK server and you will always find the right speeds. Read its review so that you get know more of its features if you intend to use them
https://www.vpnranks.com/nordvpn-review/
Zardari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:02 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have a dumb question: Why are VPNs necessary? The reason I'm asking: if I need a secure connection to, for instance, my bank, this connection is made via HTTPS, so it should be secure anyway, even if I make the connection while on a public wifi network. What am I missing?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #12
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
Check out "NordVPN." I've been using it for the past year or so. It is great.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We have been using ExpressVPN for about a year. Functions seamlessly in the background. How effective is it? Who knows?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have a dumb question: Why are VPNs necessary? The reason I'm asking: if I need a secure connection to, for instance, my bank, this connection is made via HTTPS, so it should be secure anyway, even if I make the connection while on a public wifi network. What am I missing?
The difference is encryption/security (and anonymity) for your entire internet connection, not just a tunnel to a secure site like your bank or an Amazon checkout. While a VPN connection is inherently slower than an unencrypted one, it has big benefits in terms of privacy.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
There is a thing called the man in the middle attack and it can compromise your supposedly secure connection. I always use a VPN when connecting through any wi-fi other than mine at home. See https://www.howtogeek.com/133680/htg...what-is-a-vpn/ for a rather geeky explanation.

By the way, I have used Private Internet Access for about 4 years and wouldn't be without it. See https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp for reviews of services.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Another happy NordVPN customer here.

Beware of any free VPN providers. They are making money off of you in some way. Figure out how.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Thanks for the info. I am only concerned with security on a few HTTPS sites. I think I can do without a VPN.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:46 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
you realize, you're just moving your trust from your ISP to the VPN provider.

a VPN is simply a point to point tunnel, and the far end is acting as a 'proxy' for your internet connectivity. once the traffic exits the tunnel, its the same as when it exits your ISP.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:42 PM   #19
Site Team

Well, not exactly . There are several different types of VPNs, and some are not point to point, although all involve a tunneled or encrypted session. As for trust, your ISP gives you a real world IP and leaves you to your own devices after that. You're completely traceable, and therefore privacy can be a real concern.

With a VPN, you IP is hidden and you become anonymous. You can also safely connect to otherwise risky and dangerous networks, such as public WiFi. Another benefit is that geographic restrictions for traffic, content and for online shopping can often be bypassed. It also allows users to circumvent government censorship and filtering in some cases. The list of benefits is quite large, and it's not just passing 'trust' from an ISP to a VPN. You cannot trust an ISP to do any of that because that's not their business. Their business is bandwidth.

The biggest benefit for me: I travel for business and often use public wifi hotspots in restaurants and hotels. There's no way I would ever consider doing so on my company laptop without using a VPN.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
There is a thing called the man in the middle attack and it can compromise your supposedly secure connection.
You don't really need to worry about man in the middle attacks if you are using an https connection. Your browser has a list of certificates that it trusts from certificate authorities which prevents normal attackers from inserting themselves in between you and your chosen website.

For http at a public WiFi hotspot, it's a valid concern. I don't worry too much about this myself as I would only use https for anything important. I could see recommending a VPN though for non-technical people who aren't careful about using https, even though it isn't perfect protection.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote