We had a suggestion from a member.. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #1

We had a suggestion from a member..

Just wanted to run this by the group.. A member suggested having different board by model type.. A board for 5.0, 19 and so on.. So if you had a specific question about 5.0 you'd post it in that board..

Any thoughts? pro or con.

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: We had a suggestion from a member..

Many ideas cross over from one model to another.
And, specs for models change over the years, so would we have boards for different years as well?

I'd suggest that it just be required that the members indicate the trailer they have in their profile. And, I'd like to see the tow vehicle they are using and their location ( state or province ). All this helps put posts in perspective.

Many of the recent posts from Texas had more to do with climate than with a specific model of trailer. Knowing where the poster was helped one understand the specific issues raised.

baglo

Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I hate to have to say this, but I have to agree with bagle.

Everyone should definitely have there trailer (and year of manufacture), tow vehicle and location shown on their profile and included in their "Forum Profile Information" so it can be readily seen by others.

Other than layout specific queries, of which there are very few, I like the current system better. Almost all threads have info that relate to all the models. Besides, if yo are looking for something specific, there is always the search function.

The only categories that get busier, are the one on mods, and the one about problem solving. Maybe there could be further division there. like solar, storage, lighting, plumbing, etc. but still, it works fine as is anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I too like the idea of unit type, location, and tow vehicle. That info would help answer some of the questions the members may have.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

I would agree that loaction of poster and model and tow vehicle would help the most to add "perspective" to the post. certainly most posts have relevant info no matter the model of escape. I would say i have noticed more of a variance of helpfulnes of posts based on location, rather than model of escape for me.
I kind of get a laugh out of some of the southern USA stuff as i am sure they giggle at the more northen posts.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

I say just leave it as is. Works fine for me. And if your looking for something specific just use the search box at the top of the page.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
JCZ

Just another perspective and something to consider.....

I'm new on this forum.

I do not have a trailer......yet.

My location is really irrelevant to the questions I have.

They are model specific......the 5.0.

Just now when I went to start a thread regarding my questions directed at 5.0 owners there wasn't a 5.0 board and I just wasn't sure where to post it.

So..........even though it's very specific to a model, I posted it in "General Discussion". Just another perspective on this issue of model specific boards. Thank you for your consideration.

The thread I mention and the questions I have, can be viewed here...... http://escapeforum.org/index.php?top...17994#msg17994
Old 07-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I had a look at your posted questions and General Discussion probably would get the most exposure.

But, as to getting the answers to your questions, you have to keep in mind that this site is a group of Escape owners, not a site owned by Escape. So, if members with Escape 5.0 choose to answer your questions or not is up to them.

There are few enough posts that creating more platforms within the site won't result in more answers for you.

I have gone out to my 17B several times to take measurements so I could answer a query, but I don't have to if I don't want to.

baglo
Old 07-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #9

When I open this site, I immediately click on the "Show unread posts since last visit" link. This displays just the threads that I have not seen. In doing this the actual heading the thread is under is irrelevant, I just look at the title to see whether it is of interest or not to me.

I think proper titling of a thread would have way more use than anywhere that it might be placed.

I could see if there was way more traffic, that further division of thread categories might be warranted, but this site does have a low traffic volume due to its specificity.

Basically, there is likely no one setup to a forum that would suit the fancy of everyone. We just learn to navigate with what is given. The search function is one that is very often overlooked in forums.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Hi Jeff

Just wondering when the Escape Trailer Forum iPhone app will be available...
Old 07-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b

More prizes, freebees and gratuities would be nice
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
JCZ

Thanks a bunch guys, for your consideration.

I'm aware of how a owner's forum works.....I've been on boat and truck owners forums and I've been a moderator on the CVO Harley owners forum for the past seven years. We started out small to however, in short order we found that getting the forum organized into model specific boards helped our members.

Down the road, when a member is coming back to look for a specific post for reference, etc. it's much easier for the member (and moderators) to find it if they at least know which model it was. May not be time for this forum to consider this yet. It was just a suggestion and I, for one, appreciate your consideration. I also appreciate this forum and especially you moderators! I know, first hand, how thankless of a job it is. The pay is lousey and you just keep doing it out of dedication. Guys, I appreciate it!

As it is......as soon as I logged on this morning I clicked on "Show unread posts since last visit" and nothing came up. However, there's been a number of posts since my last visit and they didn't show up. Is it just me having the issue?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

As it is......as soon as I logged on this morning I clicked on "Show unread posts since last visit" and nothing came up. However, there's been a number of posts since my last visit and they didn't show up. Is it just me having the issue?

same here, I end up doing a manual search.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Heh JCZ,
First problem is getting into the camper..standard door is 5'3". No problem getting in, but I've got binged a couple times going out! Probably being tall, you are more aware than I of such things.
Right inside, center isle, is 6'6". Turn left toward the dinette, right at the sink, it is 6'3". Turn right, the ceiling is 6'9" at the steps going up to the bed. The ceiling in the bath is about 6'4".
The bed is a standard shaped queen, and standard width, but is a couple inches shorter.....room for your feet however.
Love our 5.0....easy to hook up, and easy to pull. But, since the pivot point is over the axle, it's different in the way it turns (trailer radius is shorter than truck), and it backs differently....just a little learning curve.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Oops, I think I answered on the wrong thread : - (
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ
It seems to have always worked for me, JC. Though, not sure I have ever double checked. This is all I do in most forums, except for on large photography forum that gets thousands of posts per day.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
JCZ

Same thing when I logged on just now. Clicked on "show unread posts since last visit" it showed that there weren't any. Very odd.

Then I clicked on "show new replies to your posts" and several came up. I'll report it directly to a moderator.

Thanks a bunch Hokie, for your exact measurements. The 5.0 also looks to be a bit taller than that Scamp I looked at yesterday. It's definately going to be a 5.0 for us.

Thank you, everybody, for your help!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #18

JC, those are two different links though. The first one is only new posts since your last visit, the second one is replies to posts that you have never read.

edit: I just tried what you said, and the second link came up with 4 replies, all about 2 months old. They were all threads I never bothered going back to.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #19

Well.. that was fun..

Looks like we'll just leave the boards the way they are for now.. I'll check to see if there's any reported problem with the forum software on the "show unread" link and then start on that iPhone App :0

Ok.. go out here and camp!

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZ
Well.. that was fun..

Looks like we'll just leave the boards the way they are for now.. I'll check to see if there's any reported problem with the forum software on the "show unread" link and then start on that iPhone App :0

Ok.. go out here and camp!
COOL let us know when its ready...