XFINITY add interferance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
XFINITY add interferance

I keep having the XFINITY add overlapping the first statement at the top of the page, and only the XFINITY add. This makes it very difficult to read the first statement in any forum subject. I've contacted the website admin for help, did what they suggested with cookies etc., reported back that it didn't work, but it's still happening. It doesn't matter weather I'm logged in or not. There's no way I can find to delete or move the add. Sometimes I can go to another subject and come back and it will be in it's proper location, but not always. Many times it also pulls the line below it with it (AdChoices, Escape for Sale, RV Travel Trailer, Trailer Sales, Owners Club). I'm using Chrome as a search engine. Any other complaints like this?
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I've had my Firefox browser go out a couple of times in the last several days. In order to get it back and functioning properly, I had to use Internet Explorer or Chrome. With both those browsers, I was inundated with annoying ads on this forum that I never ever see with Firefox.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Get AdBlock Plus installed on your browser.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape
Disable javascrip.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I keep having the XFINITY add overlapping the first statement at the top of the page, and only the XFINITY add. This makes it very difficult to read the first statement in any forum subject. ...
I just installed AdBlock Plus on my Safari browser, for the exact same reason. It appears to do what we need - removed the "floating" ads that refused to behave reasonably. It also appears to have removed the "tracking" ads that keep remind me that they know where I have been browsing.

Worth trying in my opinion.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #6

Thank you all. I'm going to give some of these suggestions a try. Opening the forum up just now, I can't even see what I wrote due to the XFINITY add. And you're right, these adds are not playing nice. Upon opening the forum, I just sit back and wait until the adds are all done loading, re-loading, and finding their place. One day I was forced to listen to an adds music over and over again. Couldn't turn it off, so I just left.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 03-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #7

Just added AdBlocker Plus, what a difference. I no longer have to wait for the adds to load, re-load, and find their designated placement. Thank you all
Old 03-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
And yet another fan of AdBlocker Plus. I downloaded it yesterday and it sure makes a difference. Will be installing this on our other computer also.

Cheers
Doug
Old 03-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
Can you post a screen shot or get the url of the ad next time you see it? We may be able to block this but I need more info and have not seen the ad.

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:24 PM   #10

Sorry, or not sorry, Janet, I haven't had the problem since downloading AdBlocker Plus. AND, the site loads up much faster without all the re-loads and adjustments caused by the adds. I'm again a happy camper!
Tom
Old 03-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've had the Square Google ad overlap the Recent Discussions section a couple of times in the past, but not recently. I don't use Ad Blocker since I'd feel like a hypocrite - I have ads on my web page that pay for it...

The latest version of Safari (on a Mac) uses "Power Saver" for the ad above recent discussions, so any video ads come up as blanks until you click on them.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I have been having this problem. That big, square, right side pop-up above recent discussions had started dominating to the point of great irritation. Has been freezing every forum page/post/thread until its pop up finishes loading. Yesterday it briefly went ballistic; the pop up now remained in foreground, blocking the page images and text I wanted to see. Then it kept running its audio over and over. Incredible.

I'm running IE in Win7. Could find no evidence in my browser or Win7 programs of a Java to turn off. A search for a download of AdBlock that worked proved futile, mainly a bunch of reviews, -- nothing for IE.

Finally found a solution. In IE I clicked on IE "Tools" - Popup Blocker -settings - "change blocking level to high." That seems to be working. Now, the contents of the square opens but remains frozen--no audio no video.

What a relief it is.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I believe even Microsoft has given up on Explorer.
Why don't you switch to Firefox or some browser that works?
Old 03-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Giving that serious thought. I heard Microsoft has plans to dump IE for something new currently in the works, I forget what they're calling it.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Myron, the problem with IE as well as any browser that Microsoft develops to replace it, is their insistence on a tight integration with the OS. As an IT Engineer I highly recommend Google Chrome to anyone who will listen. Light, fast, and more secure. Its also easy to go incognito or block ads.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #16

I second that, rbryan4