17b on order for February 14 delivery. Tow vehicle 2014 Honda pilot - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 17b
Question 17b on order for February 14 delivery. Tow vehicle 2014 Honda pilot

I am just completing the build sheet. wow what a process. I am still agonizing over whether to get the inverter, the power awning and the two-way water heater, , and the undercarriage insulation. I have decided to go with the E2 hitch. Would love to hear other people's choices
Jinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape
Honda Pilot will be fine. Inverter you can add later. Power awning a luxury and maybe a problem. Two way water heater is good. Insulation underneath is 50-50 so you cant lose. No frets.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #3

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
Hello Jinny:
I'm in a stage similar to you just not as far along. I'm holding off for info on the 23' model.

A lot depends on your camping style. Mostly electric hookups? Mostly not?

Based on prior RV experience and searching extensively through this site here are my conclusions so far.

Undercarriage insulation. Yes. That seems to be the consensus of Escape owners. I don't recall anyone saying they regret this choice.

Inverter. Depending on your camping style. Mostly hookups? Save your money. Mostly boondocking? Money well spent but not really critical at all. Small plug-in inverters can handle light loads for a fraction of the cost of the built-in one. Operating the microwave oven off the in-house inverter while boondocking is very convenient. If that convenience worth the cost? Your call.

Two-way water heater. Mostly boondocking? Save your money. Mostly hookups? The additional cost for this option might be recovered by the propane you would save. Maybe. I look to simplicity, as well. Is the two-way just one more thing to break?

Awning There is no more heated or controversial topic than the choice of awning type. I will not go there. Use the search feature at the top of this page and enter 'awning'. You will get a limitless number of very, very strongly held opinions about the choice.

Enjoy.

Sam
Old 11-11-2019, 12:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Love the E2. I love power awning which was standard my year. However, I think you’ll get best advice from someone who lives in the same climate as you do.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd get the power jack to go with the weight distribution hitch. Cranking the jack up and down by hand four times to install the WDH bars wears on you.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinny View Post
I am just completing the build sheet. wow what a process. I am still agonizing over whether to get the inverter, the power awning and the two-way water heater, , and the undercarriage insulation. I have decided to go with the E2 hitch. Would love to hear other people's choices
We have a January 16 completion date. A pretty easy process. We didn't get many extras.

The inverter, you can add later if desired, that's what I am planning. Ill pick a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter and mount it on the side of the front bench, one with a voltage display and USB charge ports.

The power awning, not a fan, KISS keep it simple stupid Dad said. The manual awning is an upgrade from my 1977 Trillium 4500 with the canvas awning, so I'm happy with that. Besides, what do you do in 5 years when you can't get a motor or sensors for it.

We didn't get the under carriage insulation, I could add that later. If you plan on camping late fall or in the snow, I would get it. Me, I'm still years from retirement and don't camp enough to need it.

The 2 way water heater, I think that is worth it. Even know we camp with out services often, we still do camp at the KOA enough to make it worth while. Not necessarily the cost savings of the propane, but the time to go fill it up.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
We have our new 17b since March. We mainly camp without power so have no microwave, inverter, airconditioning or 2 way water heater and don't miss them so far. We do have all the insulation so we can camp in colder weather comfortably. Be careful with the manual awning if you have the awning style windows, we have already broken the latch. We love the kitchen window and the solar panel is fantastic even on the west coast. Also glad we have the bigger fridge and the permanent bed. Towing with our pathfinder has been fine through the mountains as well, we do have the factory tow package. Good luck with your choices!
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, awning windows and the manual awning do not mix well....
Old 11-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinny View Post
Thank you for all of the wonderful responses. I will try to answer each of them individually. I am new to this process.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #10

Thanks for the reply. I am wondering if installing inverter later would be much less expensive. I have used a very inexpensive inverter with my current 26 foot Class C and it did not work for what I needed, which was two CPAP machines at the same time. Friends not me.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #11

Sam, love your quote. I am going from a 26 foot Class C to a trailer so that I can have the detachable car. I think I dry Camp more than I stay connected. So that's why I'm not sure about the water heater and the inverter. I do like two go out in cold weather so I'm leaning toward the undercarriage insulation. I really hate putting out an awning but maybe I can get over that dislike. The power awning looks pretty expensive and is really a luxury. I am not getting the new windows because they don't open far enough. Thanks for your expertise. Good luck with the 23 foot if you decide to go with it.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #12

Thanks for the advice oh, yes I am getting the power jack with the E2 hitch I figured anything to help maintain stability on the road is a good thing. I am leaning away from the power awning, but hate putting up the standard awning. Maybe just a matter of getting used to doing it.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #13

Yes indeed I am getting the Power Jack. I've had a trailer before and understand the the lights of having that piece of equipment
Old 11-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #14

Thanks for your detailed replies. My camping is about 50/50 dry camp and hook up so that's why I'm not sure about getting the water heater. I am wondering if adding the inverter later would save the cost? I love your idea of having it where I can see it and if it has a USB charge port also. I am tending away from the power awning and I agree keep it simple. I just hate the process of the manual awning. I do like to go into cold weather so and tending towards the undercarriage insulation even though the price is pretty high and it lowers the ground clearance.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #15

Thanks for your detailed reply. My camping is about 50/50 dry camp and connected. I also have friends who travel with me who have CPAP machines at night and that is why I am wanting some type of inverter. I have a Honda 2000i, but I'm not allowed to run it at night in state 4 national parks. I am not getting the new style Windows because it does not seem they allow enough airflow. I am getting the undercarriage insulation because I like to Camp late in the season. I have also gotten both the kitchen and bathroom windows and the solar panel. Thanks again for your reply and expertise
Old 11-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #16

I am not getting the fancy new windows, they look great but it does not look like they allow enough airflow. So I'm getting the old style windows. Hope that's a good decision thanks for responding.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #17

Oh boy, sorry I thought I was replying to individual people but it looks like my comments just got posted. Oh well another learning process
Old 11-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
Jinny you don't need an inverter for a CPAP. It's more efficient to use a 12V adapter you can buy for the CPAP. We run one no problem with the 12V plug in and the solar panel recharges the battery in a couple of hours once it's daylight.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, awning windows and the manual awning do not mix well....
Appreciate the issues of this combo, which I have on my new 17B.
From your and other posts - I clearly need an "extra care" process to avoid breaking window latches. (Hasn't been awning weather since I got my rig on Oct 30, so not exactly "tested" )
Old 11-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #20

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd get the power jack to go with the weight distribution hitch. Cranking the jack up and down by hand four times to install the WDH bars wears on you.
Absolutely agree! I just brought my 17B home to Houston so don't yet have enough experience to speak to your other concerns but would agree that advice from someone who lives in your climate makes good sense.

Best wishes!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new owner